Automatic Knife/Mail Law Question

This is a discussion on Automatic Knife/Mail Law Question within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a question, I know it is illegal to cross auto knives from state to state however, I heard if you ship it in ...

Thread: Automatic Knife/Mail Law Question

Automatic Knife/Mail Law Question

I have a question, I know it is illegal to cross auto knives from state to state however, I heard if you ship it in parts and assemble it in your area that defeats that, however, I also heard you can legally ship automatic knives through the post office. I wanted to ask how true is this?

__________________________________________________ __

I posted this in another thread and just thought of more to add.

I have heard of this also happening to bali's that they cannot be imported but can have the parts imported or sent in as a "Kit" put together here and sold without any problems. I know I have ordered knives (mostly fixed and manual knives) but I also read (honestly cannot remember where) it is not against the law to mail automatic knives and/or balis but they are illegal to take across state lines (dosnt make too much sense to me)

I was mostly curious about this.

Thank You
    Spade115
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

2. Remove Ads

Everything you heard is untrue.

In terms of ordering an automatic knife online they will ship them anywhere. I live in New York and ordered two Microtech automatic OTF knives from notyourmamasknives.com and they didn't require any documentation that I was a LEO or the I was allowed to carry them. They just have a general disclaimer stating that they will ship them to any state however you (the buyer) must know your local laws and if it is legal to carry them or not.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Caveat Emptor...
    Let the buyer beware.
    God so loved the world he gave his only son...
    Whoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16

W

It is illegal to carry them in PA, but you can own them as a 'curio' item. Meaning a collector and have it displayed as such in our home.
    -Kel-Tec P3AT .380 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (summer carry)
    -Kahr PM9 9mm w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (new summer carry)
    -Glock 27 .40 w/ Crimson Trace Laserguard and Clip Extension (winter carry)
    -Taurus PT945 .45 (more or less retired from carry)

Quote Originally Posted by JrFreak View Post
    It is illegal to carry them in PA, but you can own them as a 'curio' item. Meaning a collector and have it displayed as such in our home.
    That's a defense, meaning that you could be arrested and charged for possession of an auto. You'd have to prove by a preponderance of evidence that you possessed it "solely as a curio." If you failed to prove your case, no more guns for you. You'd have to get rid of any you have, your LTCF would be revoked, and you'd never get another one. I don't think it's anywhere near worth the risk to own what amount to cool toys.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Pa.C.S. 908: Prohibited offensive weapons
    (1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. 5801 et seq.), or that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully.

You can and I did get one via mail. As I'm reluctant to mention the source ATF is everywhere) I can tell you that the place is in Utah.

Good luck

Bruce

Just remember, it ain't illegal till they catch you!!!
    Last edited by bruce272; April 10th, 2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: poor memory
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

Quote Originally Posted by bruce272 View Post
    You can and I did get one via mail. As I'm reluctant to mention the source ATF is everywhere) I can tell you that the place is in Utah.

Good luck

Bruce

Just remember, it ain't illegal till they catch you!!!
    I love their selection........
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Automatic knife laws are ignorant. You can open a knife with a thumb stud just as fast, and you can unsheath a fixed blade even quicker.
    I know what you're thinking: "Did he fire six shots or only five?" "Is that a Smith & Wesson 686+ 7 shot or 627 8 shot?" "Does he have a concealed Sig P226 SCT and two spare mags?" You've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Links