what kind of scope do I want on my Sig 522

This is a discussion on what kind of scope do I want on my Sig 522 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The title says it all. I will mostly be using it for murdering paper...haha. I'm not familiar with scopes at all. I don't know if ...

Thread: what kind of scope do I want on my Sig 522

what kind of scope do I want on my Sig 522

The title says it all. I will mostly be using it for murdering paper...haha. I'm not familiar with scopes at all. I don't know if I should get magnified or just 1x. I really need help deciding which way to go.... Brand and Type.

Money isn't the biggest factor but I don't want a 300.00 scope on a rifle I stole out the door for 410 shipped.

thanks guys
    fourwedge

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    If you are using it as a 22 analog for a sig 556. Whichever optic matches your current setup on that rifle.

Otherwise. Whatever floats your boat.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Like I said, it is my first rifle. I don't have a 556 too.

Any decent 4x scope should be good,Bushnell is a lower end scope and I would stay away from NC star crap,you probably won't be shooting past 100 yards
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The Simmons "22 Mag" series is an excellent value - 3-9x32, and it comes with rings. I have a couple of these on my .22s (as well as some high-priced glass), and I don't think you can beat them for the price. You don't really need the AO (adjustable objective) model, IMHO. The scope runs about $40 at SWFA.com or OpticsPlanet.com.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A decent inexpensive scope is the Centerpoint 4x16 at Walmart ~$70. I have one on my 1022 I use for prairie dogs and it works well. I don't think it would be an awesome low light scope, but that's not how I (or you as it sounds) use it.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

VIP Member
    I'd go with a 3x or 4x scope. For target shooting it will be more than enough. I have a Simmons 3x9 on my Ruger 10-22, it serves its purpose well, I think I payed about $50.00 12 or so years ago for it. Still works every bit as good as the day I bought it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I recommend the Millet DMS-1. (1-4X) Excellent scope for the money!

The eye relief and the size of the actual scope is what would be improved imo if you went to a higher priced scope. (ie: eye relief would be a little more forgiving, and you could make the scope 1-2 inches shorter)

But the glass is nice and clear. Target acquisition is very easy indoors/low light with the lit reticle. I like the donut with the 1moa dot in the center. Keep in mind, when using outdoors in daylight, the reticle becomes black. (I did not have a problem with it, but some might not like that)

As stated by a lot of people, the flip up covers are crap. I have butler creek ones on the way. (size 16 and 02A in case anyone needs the size). The 1-4x adjustment knob is smooth in function and it's just a all around great scope. I'd say its the poor mans trijicon TR24. Not that I wouldn't buy the trijicon, just not for the 522...

I tried to take a picture of the reticle, but it was hard as hell holding the camera still in the proper position LOL. Any bluriness is due to my shaky hands and not the scope. =P

And a quick video of this scope in action on my 522

Hope this helps...

YouTube - SIG 522 SWAT with Black Dog Machine 50 round drum

Very nice video.

Links