My own HD Shotgun Stock testing results...

My own HD Shotgun Stock Testing results...

This is a discussion on My own HD Shotgun Stock Testing results... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One of the last guns on my "for life" list was a HD shotgun. Got a Remington 870 7 round. Comes with the mag extension, ...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

My own HD Shotgun Stock testing results...

One of the last guns on my "for life" list was a HD shotgun. Got a Remington 870 7 round. Comes with the mag extension, etc.

I hunted for years with an 870 so it's like an old friend but with an 18.5" barrel. I'm a small guy and I don't like recoil unless you're talking .45 ACP out of a full size 1911

So I began to research. Here's what I read over and over and over:

1. Keep it simple
    2. learn proper technique
    3. Make sure the stock fits you!

So I tried it with the OEM stock. 25 rounds of #8 low brass bird shot well you can call me a wimp but the next day the shoulder was sore. I think my technique is "ok".

Next I bought a new forearm from another forum member because it was a LOT longer than the corn cob type OEM forearm. This got my left arm in a better position.

Then I read about Knoxx Spec Ops recoil reducing stocks

WOW there was a LOT written about it. I debated and debated but in the end I decided to give it a try. The results?

1. They DO reduce recoil greatly! It easily took out 25 - 35 or even 40% of the felt recoil in my opinion. I was almost afaid to shoot it though because of some of what I'd read about them pinching or slaping the cheek which brings me to...

2. Cheek Slap; yup a little but NOTHING like what I was fearing but it's definitely something you feel on the face. I shot it earlier today but I can still just barely feel it in my cheek right now. It wasn't bad per say and it DOES matter which length you set the stock to.

So when I got home, I switched out the Knoxx stock for a Remington youth stock with an R3 (limbsaver) recoil pad that I'd already bought and had waiting in the wings. put that on and realized...

3. I like the handling characteristics of the regular stock a lot more than the Knoxx. It's funny, on my AR 15 the collapsable stock seems as natural as butter on toast but on the shotgun it felt awkward at low ready and bringing it up into position. Once shouldered it is VERY nice and I do like the adjustable LOP! However, I also love the compact fast handling feel of the youth stock. I switched out the front forearm so it would match the stock and because it's still longer than the OEM but not as long as the one I'd bought.

Then I installed an XS Big Dot tritium sight. It's the kind you just use JB Weld to basically glue it over the front bead. It's pretty simple and for my 40 going on 50 something eyes, the big dot seems like the perfect front bead or sight for an HD shotgun. I do think it's WAY over priced at $60 but I believe it's the ultimate hd shotgun front sight!

After a few days I'll test fire again (got to let the JB weld cure) and see how the youth stock with limbsaver recoil pad does. If it's "ok", then I'll be putting the knoxx stock up for sale. I know the R3 won't take away as much of the bite as the Knoxx but if it helps some, then I'm willing to take a bit more of a pounding for the better handling characteristics.

I did find the cheek weld awkward on the Knoxx but on my AR15 it seems perfect go figure?!?

I've come to the conclusion that the Knoxx stock has some really great features and it does look great on the gun but the fit and cheek slap seems to be very dependent on how the stock/gun fits each particular person.

I'll let you all know how it turns out in a few days.

The sad thing is that my "for life" list is now down to only one last gun!!! A Springfield Armory GI Champion. It's a scary feeling!! Good news is you simply can't find a GI Champion right now to the list will live on for a while :)

God Bless
    Gideon
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

The sad thing is that my "for life" list is now down to only one last gun!!! A Springfield Armory GI Champion. It's a scary feeling!!
    You need to plan for a longer life... LOTS more guns to add to the list!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Oh I'm planning for a LONG life Lord willing, just have a hard time spending money on guns when I've kind of filled all the niches. Got the hunting covered, the ccw handguns, plinkers and even trainers for the children. If I could dream, I'd want a very high end 1911 but with a lot of kids I just wrote my list based on a CCW and other needs and set to getting them. Even got pocket carry covered and EVEN got he .357 Marlin Lever action I always wanted.

No real niche there. to justify that one I decided to have a pistol caliber carbine in each of my two primary handgun calibers!

Gideon

Links