Improving the AK47 sights?

This is a discussion on Improving the AK47 sights? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone changed the sights on their AK to something that helps with a quicker target acquisition and better low light performance? Maybe a hi-viz ...

Thread: Improving the AK47 sights?

Improving the AK47 sights?

Has anyone changed the sights on their AK to something that helps with a quicker target acquisition and better low light performance? Maybe a hi-viz front and a peep sight rear (similar to an AR-15 rear sight)? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

2. Remove Ads

It'll be awhile before I get to shoot and test it, but I just slapped an old Aimpoint on my AK. The Aimpoint came on a used M 1 Super 90 I bought, but I'm taking it back to the original ghost rings. Ergo, an extra Aimpoint.

Might really help my 50+ YO eyes.........

After I get some time with it I'll post a review. I've never used an Aimpoint so that is a test of itself.........

Here's the mount I am using. It currently appears to be rock solid and very well made to extremely tight tolerances!

Here: AK / Saiga Scope Mounts : Scout Scopes

Cool. Could you possibly post pics of your setup? Thanks!
    Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.

I have one of these big dots on my AK. Works for me.

Tactical Response Gear

If you want both the front and rear sight go here. Be forewarned, its not cheap. Scroll down and pick the second option from the dropdown menu.

XS Sight Systems - Specialty Products

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    This is an option if you want to just have an enhanced iron sight setup
    http://www.tech-sights.com/

I have been owning, shooting and training with AK style rifles for 20 plus years so here is my spin on the sight issues with the AK if you want to go with some type of optic sight system. Generally speaking there are three setup options for the AK.

1. UltiMak.....Picatinny/Weaver style rail. which replaces gas tube and clamps directly to barrel
    AK 47 Accessories AK 47 Scope Mount

2. Scout mount......which replaces the rear sight leaf and mounts to the rear sight base.
    AK / Saiga Scope Mounts : Scout Scopes

3. AK style side mount.....clamps to side rail on AK rifles
    POSP/PSO Aimpoint to AK, Saiga, Vepr Centered Side Mount w/ 30 mm Heavy Duty Ring, Tim Heffron Special Limited Edition - AK, Vepr, Saiga, SLR - Mounts

The "holy grail" so to speak for AK sighting has always been finding a way to co-witness an optic sight with the iron sights. The scout mount and UltiMak are both fine well made products and work very well on the AK as a mounting platform for optics but you cannot co-witness with either setup because the scount mount of course replaces the rear sight leaf and most red dot or reflex sight mount to high on the UltiMak rail. The exception with the UtilMak mount is some have found this small red dot sight sold by Primary Arms which mounts low enough to co-witness at the bottom of the sight tube. Primary Arms Micro Dot (Gen 3)

The AK mount shown in the photo above sold by Kalinka is a low profile mount centered directly over the barrel that many on the AK forums say works with Aimpoint or Aimpoint clone tpye sights for co-witness. I just ordered one to try out. Kalinka imports hi quality mounts and optics from Russia that are used by the Russian military and special op units. This is military quality stuff not cheap NC Star or UTG crap.
    Last edited by pirate; March 27th, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Great info on the AK optics pirate.

Got any recommendations for a reasonably priced scope set up for them? I been looking at various websites, and to be honest the more I look the more confusing it becomes.

There is no need for anything super special. It would just be nice to see better further out.

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Great info on the AK optics pirate.

Got any recommendations for a reasonably priced scope set up for them? I been looking at various websites, and to be honest the more I look the more confusing it becomes.

There is no need for anything super special. It would just be nice to see better further out.

For the AK I perfer 1x (or no magnification) red dot or reflex sights but if you plan to scope the rifle my personal feelings are a extended eye relief (EER) scope mounted with the scout mount is the best option. As you know AK style rifles are not know as tack drivers so mounting a hi magnification scope does not make much sense to me. An EER scope mounted forward on the rear sight base with just a 2x or 2.5x magnification will give you an improved sight picture and enough magnification to easily get 3 in groups at 100 yards. Of course the accuracy will also depend on the individual rifle, ammo and shooter.

Nikon makes an excellant EER scope for less than 2 bills
    Nikon EER Scopes
    Nikon Monarch EER Rifle Scopes

Vortex is another quality EER scope and cost less than $100
    Vortex Crossfire Scope > VORTEX Crossfire 2x20 EER Rifle Scope, V-Plex Reticle (CRF-13-P)

Stay away from NC Star and the other low priced cheap/crappy stuff.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks for the advice and links pirate, I will give them a look.

Indeed I was thinking of something to just help see 100 yards better.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    It'll be awhile before I get to shoot and test it, but I just slapped an old Aimpoint on my AK. The Aimpoint came on a used M 1 Super 90 I bought, but I'm taking it back to the original ghost rings. Ergo, an extra Aimpoint.

Might really help my 50+ YO eyes.........

After I get some time with it I'll post a review. I've never used an Aimpoint so that is a test of itself.........

Here's the mount I am using. It currently appears to be rock solid and very well made to extremely tight tolerances!

Here: AK / Saiga Scope Mounts : Scout Scopes
    The Scout Scope Mount works really well. I had one on the Saiga .308 that I recently sold. Solid and well made.

The main site has photos of the mount in use. Scope mounts for your AK or SKS rifle
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

My new AK side mount (centered over barrel and low mount) came in from Kalinka today. I mounted a Vortex Strikefire red dot sight on a Saiga, and yes it does co-witness at the bottom 1/4 of the sight. I like this setup a lot and need to get it to the range for a run through. The only things I do not like upon inspection and mounting is the front lens covers will not open/close without raising the rear sight leaf first so the cover can clear the sight leaf and the thickness of the metal under the single 30mm ring appears a bit thin. This may not become an issue but its an observation.
    http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/...d-edition.html

This is basically what mine looks like (othet than a different AK and different Aimpoint).......but it was Dr. CMG that gave me the idea in a prior thread. Thanks, Dr.!

My rig. Russian Kobra Red Dot:

Links