M1 Carbine vs AR15?

This is a discussion on M1 Carbine vs AR15? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by bmcgilvray I agree with Mr. Philip that it is quick to point. Many handguns have gained the reputation for pointing naturally. For ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine vs AR15?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I agree with Mr. Philip that it is quick to point. Many handguns have gained the reputation for pointing naturally. For me the M1 Carbine uniquely has this attribute. It is a fast handling little rifle and tremendous for quick point shooting. By comparison the AR 15 has all the handling characteristics of an old high school band hall music stand.

Here's some photos to help things along and a link to an old Defensive Carry thread I posted about the M1 Carbine. Since originally posting that thread I found the photo of my dad and his Carbine, taken in 1945. He still has that same carbine today and still shoots it.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...0-carbine.html

The October 1943 production Underwood carbine I shoot.

Only my opinion but I think M1 Carbines look and handle best in their World War II configuration with 15-round magazine and without the bayonet lug that was developed and added right at the end of the War.

did your dad just jack a carbine from the navy when it was time to come home or do you just mean he bought one surplus afterwards? i know it happened from time to time, but bringing home bolt guns, pistols, semi auto enemy weapons was fairly easy, but anything uncle sam made was off limits. i have heard examples of vietnam era soldiers who found VC and NVA troops carrying old ww2 era US made weapons (1911's and carbines) and were denied permission to keep the items as war trophies due to their origin.

gettin back to the topic,

the carbine would be my choice if i had to use a weapon to defend the interior of my home. recoil is mild, doesnt have to be accurate, and the gun just tends to shoot like an extension of the arm. my '43 standard products shoots like a dream. also, if it came to it, i would much rather hit some guy in a ski mask with the butt of a m1 carbine than with that of a plastic AR stock. if you want something to shoot paper with, invest in a remington model 700 in .243, .308, or 30-06. best bolt gun made for the price, then you can get a nice side arm to go with it to take care of those things that go bump in the nite. if you do decide on a 30 carbine, please get a govt model and not one of these postwar commercial junk copies. they are jamming piles of caca and not worth the $700-1000 tag they carry either. and dont shoot steel case wolf thru one either. steel case ammo is good for one type of gun, one that was designed east of Poland. i also broke down and bought an AK wasr 10 just because the price was right and ammo was dirt cheap at the time. alot of people say this rifle is crap but mine has turned out ok. it really would make an OK "red dawn" gun. whatever you choose, hope you have fun with it and it serves your needs. we are lucky to live in a country that lets us have these things so get'em while you can!
    Last edited by og255; April 5th, 2010 at 12:02 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I am going to start reloading my .30 carbine rounds with 110 gr Gold dots

Detail Page for Part # 24465
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I like the AR best of all, but if I got an M1 Carbine, I'd set up a progressive reloader with carbide dies and reload like mad.

Those straight walled cartridges just call to me....

And that's got to be cheaper to shoot than just about anything else.

Know next to nothing about AKs. However I like the way these look. They come with 2 mags, sling and bayonet. Going to go check them out later today. Will wait on your feedback prior to making a purchase.

Century International Arms 30 + 1 7.62 X 39MM w/Bayonet Lug/Compensator CIA RI1188N GP WASR 7.62X39 RIFLE W/BL

Century International Arms 30 + 1 7.62 X 39MM w/Blue Finish/Wood Stock CIA RI1166N GP WASR 7.62X39 RIFLE
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

Berretta,

I have bought 1 Century build. It is best to examine the Centuries before buying them, or get one from Henderson arms. They inspect them and certify them against canted sights ect.

The Saiga rifles are some of the best and it is easy enough to convert them over to pistol grip. You can also get the AK's and the Saiga's in these calibers.

7.62x39
    5.45x39
    5.56/.223

And there is even one build from Wassen Werks that fires the 7.62x54R.

Rigrat,

Thanks for the info. Wouldnt mind having a .308! I looked at them this morning. I wasnt too impressed with them. The magazine had a really loose fit in the well. It rattled when I shook it. Guess a $300 rifle will be a $300 rifle. They arent bad for what they are. When I make an purchase, its going to be for the long haul. Goin to set aside some more and purchase something a little higher on shelf. Be it AR or AK. Thanks again.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2

If you want higher on the list for the AK platform look at the Arsenals.

The Saiga's are good rifles from what I here especially after you convert them to pistol grip configuration.

I will be able to give a first hand review after mine gets here, as I have a Saiga 5.45 coming hopefully this coming week.

i would go with the M1 myself. while the ammo is less common its also relatively cheap compared to 5.56mm, the M1 is more reliable than the AR, and most importantly it handles as easy as a BB gun. meaning you can stay on a target a lot easier and maneuver a lot faster.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    the M1 is more reliable than the AR,
    No. It's not. It's not even close to as reliable as an AR.

I don't mind the M1, the M1 carbine or the M14. But I cannot STAND when folks throw this stuff out there. The AR is an incredibly reliable platform, that is only unreliable by mythology.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    No. It's not. It's not even close to as reliable as an AR.

I don't mind the M1, the M1 carbine or the M14. But I cannot STAND when folks throw this stuff out there. The AR is an incredibly reliable platform, that is only unreliable by mythology.
    Amen.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

What do you want in a night time home defense rifle?

- rapid deployment
    - low muzzle flash
    - low report
    - light weight (6.5 lbs as shown w/mag)
    - light recoil
    - high capacity
    - natural pointer
    - rapid multiple hit capability
    - mounted light capable of blinding intruder
    - lightweight laser based optic
    - medium range capabiltiy for no long range collateral damage
    - Hot expanding ammo (2000 fps Speer Gold Dot Soft Point LE,
    just my preference) capable of penetrating at least level II
    body armor and some level III
    Attached Images

If you like the traditional rifle platform try the Ruger Mini-14. Just as reliable, compact and in a better, cheaper, easier to find .223 chambering.
    As for the SHTF..............AK47 or 74.........an oil can, knotted shoe string and some piano wire are your lifetime maintenance kit for it LOL. 5.45 x 39 mm is the cheapest ammo on the market right now BTW.
    If you want a true Survival rifle look into the M-1 Garands at CMP.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    While I love the m1 garand I wouldn't reccomend it for defense unless the laws prohibited modern weaponry. It was top dog back in it's day, but sadly that day has passed.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Thanks for the guidelines cavnamvet. Already have a HD weapon (Rem 870) Wanted something for a SHTF senario as well as something for the range. Something thats more percise and longer range than the 870. Think for now an AR and AK would be the most practical. Already familiar with the AR and have 6 magazines if I were ever to get one.
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]

I believe the M1 Garand to be a timeless piece still as capable today as it was in its so called day.

I myself would love to own one.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links