AK 74, not 47.

This is a discussion on AK 74, not 47. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just learned the difference between these two and now Im totally sold on this rifle. Relatively obscure round though from what Ive seen in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK 74, not 47.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar

AK 74, not 47.

I just learned the difference between these two and now Im totally sold on this rifle. Relatively obscure round though from what Ive seen in the ballistic tables, the 5.45x39 is definately capable IMO. Plus, INEXPENSIVE!!!! 1000 rounds for $150, unbelievable. Some one tell me Im smokin crack and this isnt real for some good reason, or if you have this rifle, let me know about your experience with it.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xsigma40cal View Post
    Relatively obscure round though from what Ive seen in the ballistic tables, the 5.45x39 is definately capable IMO.
    Depends on where you are......since its the ammo now used by most all the former Warsaw Pact nations in their AK74's which is now their front line weapon, in many parts of the world its the most widely available centerfire ammo. AIM has spam cans of1080 rounds for $129. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...39R&groupid=33

Far and away the least expensive mid-powered centerfire ammo now available. I have several span cans stocked up.

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I like the 47 for just the reason that the cartridge has a bit more bite then my 5.56 AR, which is close to an AK74
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

If they make a barrel and bolt for the AR15,I'm swapping out my 7.62x39 upper and buying about 10,000 rounds of ammo,then I'm telling my buddy so we can convert his M16,I can't load 223 that cheap
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I wonder if these are legal in Connecticut?
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by JohnWFD View Post
    I wonder if these are legal in Connecticut?
    I believe you can buy them in any gun store in CT. I know they had them at Hoffman's when I was there awhile back. One of the employees at the counter was playing with one.

Just keep in mind that the caliber had a relatively short life span. And so there is a relatively smaller amount of surplus ammo to be expended over the years. Sure, its here now, but anything can interrupt that and its a given its going to give out eventually. So get it while you can. Your choices are limited.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Just keep in mind that the caliber had a relatively short life span. And so there is a relatively smaller amount of surplus ammo to be expended over the years. Sure, its here now, but anything can interrupt that and its a given its going to give out eventually. So get it while you can. Your choices are limited.
    Short life span, It’s the round currently used by Russia and all the other former Warsaw pact nations in the AKS-74U and newer AKS-105 which is slated as the new Russian front line military rifle. Wolf, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, Golden Tiger and several other Russian ammo makers carry the round commerically and several US and European ammo manufacturers are tooling up to produce it commercially also. This round is now and will be plentiful and highly available from now to the foreseeable future. I have around 7K rounds myself on hand.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I plan on stocking up some myself.I have about 700 rounds and thats just not enough.

I'm sitting on over 6,000 rounds of it as well in spam cans.

I bought my AR chambered for 5.45x39, (S&W MP15), because I refused to pay the ridiculous prices for .223/5.56. Yeah, it's corrosive, but I have this bad habit of cleaning my weapons after a trip to the range anyhoo, soo.....

The 53gr military 5.45 surplus actually has a reputation of "tumbling" upon impact and making some devastating wound cavaties, much like the very early .223 rounds in Vietnam.

See here-----53gr Bulgarian boattail steel-core FMJ

Personally, when all ammo hoarding started, I've saw the 7.62 get harder to find then the 5.45.

And yes there are 5.45 uppers out there for the AR15.
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    The Russians have been using 5.45x39 for longer than they used 7.62x39.

To me that shows both the effectiveness of this round, as well as the round it was created to more or less copy. (5.56x45)
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

I'm torn. I'd love a traditional looking AK-74 myself, but I think that the Hungarian AMD-65 is calling my name as far as my next EBR goes.

The low price of 5.45x39 is hard to resist though...

Oh well, eventually I'll have to get both I guess.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

The Polish Tantal is not as compact as the ubiquitous AK47 it replaced, but is a very well built assault rifle. Get one now while they are still relatively cheap!

I have been knowing about this modification brought in AK 74 which makes it more better then AK47.Since I'm a reporter it get very essential to keep our selves by the updates related to every field and since ammunition are my favorite area of interest it get fun and inspiring knowing more about them.

Where are you guys seeing ammo for $150/1k rounds?
    The best price I've found for 5.45x39 was just a smidgeon cheaper than 9mm, and it was corrosive at that. The non-c. Wolf/Bear brands were too close to the same brand 5.56 to justify the purchase of a new rifle.

And I thought I was getting good at digging up good prices on the internet...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links