Need a Scope Recommendation

This is a discussion on Need a Scope Recommendation within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking to get an inexpensive scope for my flattop AR; this would be just for occasional use in 3-Gun competition. My regular setup ...

Thread: Need a Scope Recommendation

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

Need a Scope Recommendation

I am looking to get an inexpensive scope for my flattop AR; this would be just for occasional use in 3-Gun competition. My regular setup is an EOTech with a flip-out magnifier, which I really like. I want to shoot the occasional 3-Gun match that limits rifles to one (1) optic. At 100yds, maybe possibly even 200yds, I could go with the EOTech as my sole optic. On the other hand, some of these matches definitely have 200--300yd shots that I think require a little magnification...

So, for such occasional use I would like something inexpensive (which I am defining as < $150; under a c-note would be even better), good for shooting out to 300yds, and preferably with an illuminated reticle. Since the same optic would have to be run for closer range shots, too, I guess I want a 3-x (where x is probably 9 or 12) variable magnification. Oh, and it has to stand up to 5.56 shooting while we're at it.

I've read reviews on some of the sub-$100 stuff at OpticsPlanet, so I know some of these things exist and people use them; I am just hoping to get some more reliable opinions from people with some first-hand experience.

Thanks!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

Upon further review, I should probably be looking more in the 1-6x range...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Why not look into a 4x scope, not too much for up close and enough out to 300 yds? You may be able to get better glass and internal mechanisms for the same price.

Going to 300yds? You know.....a lot is left to speculate here. You speak of a range of magnification when you should really be talking range of $$ spent and usage. Why an illuminated reticle? There are so many scopes on the market it's crazy to understand. Choosing a scope, or the right scope is probably one of the all time dilemmas for those of us who don't have a scope worth more than the rifle itself. To me that is crazy if I'm spending my own money and not the government's. Here's my opinions on what you need for your AR15 and the 300yd shots. Possibly a BDC scope (calculated for range and cartridge on the turret), a target scope vs a hunting scope....possibly a mil-dot scope for you to learn the increments and correct hold over calculating range and distance yourself. Most of the mil-dot scopes are calculated at 10x magnification and accurate. Other than that, something in the 6-10x would be good, considering most any daytime light conditions. Sometimes a 4x won't cut it on a gray day. Don't confuse image quality with magnification. Then...stick to your budget if you have one.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Redfield Revolution scopes--now owned AND built by Leopold scopes in OPregon. Not quite the same nice finishes--not all the bells and whistles--but at $159 for 3x9 and about $149 (maybe $139??) a 2x7--sounds like a GREAT deal!!!
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Reading your first post the Tru Glo 2x42 scope fits all of what you need. I use it on ARs and AKs from 7 yards out to just over 200. Economical, illuminated, and a little magnification. I have the red dot sights but they make a dual red and green dot version and a multi-reticle version. That said, we did have one of the multi-reticle ones come into the gunshop with a crooked crosshair reticle and had to send it back, but TG replaced it within two weeks for free.

Log On | TRUGLO, Inc. look under the firearms section for the 2x42 scopes.

i use a 4x20 colt sporter scope on my AR. but i got the carry handle mounted and both the rear sight and the scope zeroed.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

my 2c

Dont go cheep on a scope . save up and get a good one .The rifle is only accurate. If you can see what you are trying to hit.

I shoot an ACOG its the only way to go.
    Guns dont kill people. people kill people
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I have a friend who uses a 1-4x scope on his AR and swears by it. I think it is a Millett and may have a red dot function? Don't know the price.

Kazz,

What mfr. & make magnifier do you use currently with your EOTech?
    I'm thinking to do the exact same thing on both my Sig 556 _and_ my soon to be railed shotgun for turkey (shot) & deer (slug).

As to scopes I've for a few months now had my eye on this but sadly it is double your price limit...

Leupold | VX-3 1.5-5x20mm Illum. Reticle

Having recently read that Redfield is now back on the market as manufactured by Leupold and offering just slightly lower features for a great reduction in price, I'll be looking into them as well. Another to investigate that is up and coming in reported quality at less than market typical (Nikon & Leupold price ranges) would be Vortex Optics.

Redfield Riflescopes, Rangefinders, Binoculars and Spotting Scopes
    Vortex Optics - Home

I would be interested to hear what you wind up deciding on.

Regards,

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Just about any scope will fit your needs. Shooting matches are not conducted in low light at dusk or dawn. You pay more money for light transmission and in the middle of the day at a match all that extra light trasmitting power is wasted. That means all the extra money you'd spend would be wasted on a scope for a special use.

Get something cheap like a Bushnell or a Simmons. You just don't need anything better during the middle of the day for shots inside of 300 yds. Also the AR isn't going to recoil hard enough to break a cheap scope.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by steyrsdad View Post
    Dont go cheep on a scope . save up and get a good one .The rifle is only accurate. If you can see what you are trying to hit.

I shoot an ACOG its the only way to go.
    I've used an ACOG, and I think they are great. If this were a defensive setup, I'd look seriously at one. If I were trying to shoot 500+yd rifle competition, again, I'd look at plunking down a lot more on a high quality scope.

In this case, I know exactly what use I will be getting out of this, and how much it is worth to me—hence, the limited budget and my attempts to do as well as possible within that range. I do appreciate the feedback, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    What mfr. & make magnifier do you use currently with your EOTech?
    Actually, I couldn't tell you. I bought one off of GunBroker for about...I want to say maybe $75, including the flip-up rail mount. It's either 3x or 4x. I used it last year for an Applseed; EOTech and magnifier got me through 500+rds of 5.56 in one day just fine.

(BTW, a buddy of mine mounted the magnifying optic from an old Panzerfaust on his AR. Worked great, and the coolness factor was very high. )

Having recently read that Redfield is now back on the market as manufactured by Leupold and offering just slightly lower features for a great reduction in price, I'll be looking into them as well.
    Good suggstions there, Janq. Thanks.

I would be interested to hear what you wind up deciding on.
    Just from my own looking around, this is near the top of the list:

* NC Star Mk III Tactical 1-4x32 (picture attached).

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Just about any scope will fit your needs. Shooting matches are not conducted in low light at dusk or dawn.
    Thanks, Timmy. The more I read, the more I was leaning towards this anyway. Mostly I have just been combing the reviews for the cheap scopes to make sure the image quality seems reasonably good.
    Attached Images

Links