Accurate .308

This is a discussion on Accurate .308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What will this rifle be primarily used for? If for plinking and playing around, a .223 shoots much cheaper. If for a big game rifle, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accurate .308

What will this rifle be primarily used for? If for plinking and playing around, a .223 shoots much cheaper. If for a big game rifle, a 30-06 has more ammo choices and is easier to find cheaper used rifles.

I prefer a bolt action rifle with a lighter tapered barrel for big game due to weight savings. Semi autos promote mutli blast meat loss so I do not reccomend them. One shot, one kill, no need for a 30rd magazine!

Remington 700 gets my vote. I love the 3 position safety on the winchester model 70, but there were some years that they were not up to snuff.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

2. Remove Ads

I would add Savage to the accurate bolt action list.
    You will pay half the money as opposed to a Remington, and have virtually identical accuracy.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    You will pay half the money as opposed to a Remington, and have virtually identical accuracy.....
    To be honest a Savage is not nearly the value they once were. Their prices are on par with Remington now and they are just not worth the money. There is nothing wrong with a Savage other than it's price. When comparing the rifles at the same price point the Remington is the obvious choice. It's not even close.

Example:

Remington 700 Police .308 Never Fired : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

84364 Remington 700 VTR 308 Win A-TACS Camo : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Savage 10FP Tactical With AccuTrigger 308 .308 NIB : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine 308 Tactical LE : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

If you shop around you can always find even better deals on Remingtons. The above examples were only on the first page of 23 pages of Remingtons.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Stay away from the Remington 742 & 7400 semi-autos. the 2 best semiautos are the M1A and the Ar-10, Remington has the best bolt guns going now. These 3 rifles are the most popular and there are thousands of accessories for them. Gunsmiths know how to customize them. There are 2 others that are really good and they are the Winchester Model 70 and the FN tactical/Patrol rifles.
    Savage and Ruger make good guns that shoot well but accessories and parts are not as common.
    What ever you do; don't put a cheap scope on it. If you only want to shoot at 1 distance of 200 yards or less any scope will do; but to be accurate at different distances and shoot out to 800 yards with a 308 you will need good optics. This means target turrets and a ranging recticle. I like the Leupold TMR but there are other good ones available.
    Scott V
    NRA STC, LEAD Shotgun /Handgun Instructor
    Sig Sauer, Glock, Surefire Instructor
    GA UT FL Certified Instructor
    http://www.centerfiretraining.com
    Are you Ready?

Quote Originally Posted by wildfire adn View Post
    I am in the market for an accurate .308 that holds at least 5 rounds. Semi-auto is preferred ...
    FN. Enough said
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

ntg
    Don't forget the Howa's and their sibling the vanguards. Great accuracty for the $$$ spent. If you go for a bolt action. Rem.700 are also good but many need some work to really get them accurate.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

AR-10 style rifle if you have to have a semi-auto. I wouldn't look at any other semi's. A bolt action will more accurate for less money though. I like the remington 700 but a savage would also be a good choice.

I think that, considering our city and suburban scenarios, accuracy at 100 yards could and would be more than good enough for most rifles, with enough stopping power and not much bullet drop. I am still trying to decide which rifle, with a scope, to buy; never having owned such a weapon before. I figure that everybody ought to have at least one such long-range scoped rifle. I keep reading and scanning and trying to decide, taking my time. Oh, the scope ought not to be too fragile or sensitive, just powerful enough to get on target, and do good if you have to take it into the woods.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well, I really liked the M39 EMR I got to shoot at Quantico this past weekend, though I did only get to try it at 300yds... That seems like a pretty good semi-auto .308.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    The M1a is good enough for the a lot of our best snipers in the sandy parts of the world...Im sure it would work for you. In a bolt gun I would look to a Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70.
    Very few actual snipers still use this platform. I know of several Designated Marksmen who use them (until they break and cannot be repaired, that is), but USMC and US Army snipers use a variant of the Remington 700, SR25 and/or the Barrett.

Quote Originally Posted by ntg View Post
    Don't forget the Howa's and their sibling the vanguards. Great accuracty for the $$$ spent. If you go for a bolt action. Rem.700 are also good but many need some work to really get them accurate.
    This. Just bolting together the Howa 1500 heavy barrelled action and an H.S. Precision stock will provide you with an excellent shooter.

Clicky linkies:

http://controlledchaosarms.com/files...500_part_1.pdf

http://controlledchaosarms.com/files...500_part_2.pdf

To start with, don't buy the FN semi-auto.
    I'm going to agree with those suggesting the M1A to you. They're wonderful. If you're more an AR person, an Armalite Ar-10 might do you well, or something that speed.
    If you really want a high-end bolt, GAPrecision makes mil-spec bolt-action rifles, but you'll pay for them.
    And for on the cheap, I suggest a Savage. They tend to OUT-PERFORM Remington out of the box. Honestly, I like them better than Remington, but for some custom jobs Remington is just easier.

I have increasingly been leaning towards an AR10. For essentially the same price point as a bolt action or M1 with similar accuracy. Any of which will out shoot me. The AR gives me more versatility in a wider range of enviroments
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Cooper Firearms M54

Try that link
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

you may also want to look at the PTR-91, It's a H&K 91 clone. I recently bought one and I am beyond satisfied with it. Here is a link

Welcome to PTR 91 Inc. Home to the PTR-91 Series of Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I would add Savage to the accurate bolt action list.
    Same here. Thing is, accuracy in the stock semi-auto rifles is generic just the same as factory ammo. The bolt actions and reloading for them is the best you can do. IMO, semi-autos only approach the obtainable accuracy of the bolt actions, and the factory bolt actions accuracy with factory ammo can see further benefits by the avid reloader.
    IMO, the Savage rifles seem to be the best for the price to get you going where you want to go. A solid stock, bedding, and a heavy barrel will get you closer to where you want to be. Next up is the customized ammo. Sure there are accurate semi-autos using factory spec ammo that's generic for all......but I think you'll still be missing something depending on your idea of what accuracy means to you. Overall, the .308win cartridge is relatively easy to reload for. Your idea of accuracy may not be the same as mine. Some would rather have it made for them, and others would rather make it for themselves. Where we differ is in what we expect.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links