WASR 10 to buy or not?

This is a discussion on WASR 10 to buy or not? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been looking around online for the past several weeks for some sort of auto loading rifle, something that is basically just to start out ...

Thread: WASR 10 to buy or not?

WASR 10 to buy or not?

I've been looking around online for the past several weeks for some sort of auto loading rifle, something that is basically just to start out with that is going to be shot just for fun. And something that takes magazines, not liking the stripper clip idea. Not looking to spend very much on one right now. I've seen the WASR 10 come up a lot, with mixed reviews. A local shop has them for $449 ( CENTURY AK-47S ). What do you all think? Prices seem to have jumped allover the place in the past couple of years. Some people I saw paid $600!

2. Remove Ads

Something like this? Rifles For Sale - wasr 10 AK47 package deal - Auction: 9607329 (Ended 03/17/2010, 1431 PST)

They're starting to come back down in price.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Something like this? Rifles For Sale - wasr 10 AK47 package deal - Auction: 9607329 (Ended 03/17/2010, 1431 PST)

They're starting to come back down in price.
    Yeah, from the link I posted, it looks to be the same thing. I'd rather spend the extra $20 and keep it local. I'm borderline if I should go buy after work or not.

Senior Moderator
    Home Page

A WASR10 Underfolding stock with 4 mags $419.87 in their latest cataloge
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Home Page

A WASR10 Underfolding stock with 4 mags $419.87 in their latest cataloge
    Maybe I can talk them into throwing in a couple extra mags..

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by porsche4786 View Post
    I've been looking around online for the past several weeks for some sort of auto loading rifle, something that is basically just to start out with that is going to be shot just for fun. And something that takes magazines, not liking the stripper clip idea. Not looking to spend very much on one right now. I've seen the WASR 10 come up a lot, with mixed reviews. A local shop has them for $449 ( CENTURY AK-47S ). What do you all think? Prices seem to have jumped allover the place in the past couple of years. Some people I saw paid $600!
    You can get a WASR for far less than that price if you buy online and have it shipped to a FFL for a transfer fee which are usually in the $20-30 range. They are generally a bit rough (many have canted sights/gas blocks) but they work when you pull the trigger. Classic Arms has them for as low as $349. Add $30 shipping and your FFL fee (remember no tax on this purchase) and it get the rifle in your hands for around $400-415. Of course if your FFL dealer has several in stock it is nice to go over them an inspect the rifle before you buy.

Classic Arms Inc.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    You can get a WASR for far less than that price if you buy online and have it shipped to a FFL for a transfer fee which are usually in the $20-30 range. They are generally a bit rough (many have canted sights/gas blocks) but they work when you pull the trigger. Classic Arms has them for as low as $349. Add $30 shipping and your FFL fee (remember no tax on this purchase) and it get the rifle in your hands for around $400-415. Of course if your FFL dealer has several in stock it is nice to go over them an inspect the rifle before you buy.

Classic Arms Inc.
    Well, I went and bought from the local dealer. This way I got to look at several before I bought (just got the WASR 10), he showed me how it comes apart and stuff, switched out the foregrip (if that's the proper name) top blued part to wood (no charge). He is starting up a shop so the little extra went to keeping it local, and getting it the same day. Plus I have somebody to go to if I have a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by porsche4786 View Post
    Well, I went and bought from the local dealer. This way I got to look at several before I bought (just got the WASR 10), he showed me how it comes apart and stuff, switched out the foregrip (if that's the proper name) top blued part to wood (no charge). He is starting up a shop so the little extra went to keeping it local, and getting it the same day. Plus I have somebody to go to if I have a problem with it.
    Way to support local businesses! I have never purchased anything over $100 over the internet and always feel terrible about it after my purchase.

I don't know why people don't want their local community to have their money instead then a business 1000 miles away. I'm generally happy to pay a little more to get it local! Rant done

Did you end up with a high cap or low cap? I bought a high cap a few months ago and love it! Definitely a fun shooter! Pick up a UTG rail system and stick a red dot on it so you don't have to worry about a canted sight.
    Dan Wesson CBOB (traded for LMT)--Glock 36--Glock 23--Smith & Wesson M&P9c--AK47 WASR10/63 7.62x39mm--LMT AR15 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by don flamingo View Post
    Way to support local businesses! I have never purchased anything over $100 over the internet and always feel terrible about it after my purchase.

I don't know why people don't want their local community to have their money instead then a business 1000 miles away. I'm generally happy to pay a little more to get it local! Rant done

Did you end up with a high cap or low cap? I bought a high cap a few months ago and love it! Definitely a fun shooter! Pick up a UTG rail system and stick a red dot on it so you don't have to worry about a canted sight.
    It's a high cap. I looked at rails for it today at work. I was looking for one that I could mount a light and a scope on. But then after I saw $100+ for cheap scopes, I stopped looking because I've already spent my next few months worth of extra spending on ammo and magazines for it. Well....and more fun stuff for my G27.

Sorry for the crummy cell phone pic. I am too lazy to open the safe to get the camera, then have to plug it into the computer and all. haha
    Attached Images

Not bad, looks like you might want to refinish the wood parts to a uniform color. Simple things like that make my day, then again working with my guns in any capacity does. It's pretty easy to do, there's plenty of available resources out there that'll show you how to do it.

Eventually I'm sure I will refinish the wood. But I've got a lot of other chores to do around the house for now. I just can't wait to go and shoot it! Looks like it's going to rain for a while too, dang! What do you guys use to clean the gas tube where it hits the barrel?

Links