Homeland Defense Rifle

This is a discussion on Homeland Defense Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heard this term for the first time today. Anyone else here this jardon before. Interesting idea that has some merit to spread. If a large ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homeland Defense Rifle

Homeland Defense Rifle

Heard this term for the first time today. Anyone else here this jardon before. Interesting idea that has some merit to spread.

If a large enough group of citizens had some common denominator for such a rifle, and say a target event, but did not have militia as part of its name, I wonder if it would catch on.

I'm guessing the most important common denominator would be caliber.

In many ways, with different events like M1 or AR clubs, some of this already is.

Still Homeland Defense Rifle is slightly catchy, just as much as HD shotgun is to tactical shotgun.

Would really be interesting if a soild chunk of gun owners made it a point of storimg and owning a firearm of the same caliber. Would be a vote $.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

The jargon often refers to the AR-series of rifles...also used to combat the often-repeated, and commonly-used term of "assault rifle".

After all, do rifles really assault people??
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    It is kind of catchy.

I think they are coming up with to many names now a days for to many things to just make that as you put it down "$" symbol.

You (not you personally Thanis, this is figuritively speaking here) can put all the fancy gadgets on a shotgun you want, lights, lasers, vents, pistol grips and all the rest of it, but it still only shoots out one shell at a time like mine without all the gadgets and the amazing part, I paid probably $1,000 less for mine to do the same thing Small rant over LOL.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I kind of like the "EVIL BLACK RIFLE" moniker...
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

A little over a year ago I sold my evil black rifle to buy a HD rifle...a good 'ole Marlin 336 30-30 in stainless steel. I put a fiber optic front site on it and it IS my HD perimeter weapon of choice. Nothing fancy, love the lever action simplicity, and now I have a huge stock of 30-30 ammo. I'm all set for the SHTF scenario (the neighbor has several machine guns)...our end of the subdivision is ALL SET.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It is better than assault rifle.

Would be several calibers / rounds to consider. 30/30 to 30.06.

Chambered in 5.56x45mm NATO or .308 Win (not .223 or 7.62x51mm NATO).
    NRA Member

"homeland defense rifle"
    Hmmmm. Interesting concept or terms. To my thinking, a homeland defense rifle would be something that's at least compatible with the enemy's weapons supposedly used against 'us' in the homeland territory. Since such a vast amount of piddling....threatening countries in this world seem to rely on the AK47 for hostile take-overs, harassment and intimidation of the general public, and long term warfare, I see no reason to deviate from the plan. All things being equal with the weaponry involved, all you simply need to do is be a better operator of what you have in your hands at the time. My "homeland defense rifle" should be nothing less......the AK47.

The price of ARs seem to be going down.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    "homeland defense rifle"
    Hmmmm. Interesting concept or terms. To my thinking, a homeland defense rifle would be something that's at least compatible with the enemy's weapons supposedly used against 'us' in the homeland territory. Since such a vast amount of piddling....threatening countries in this world seem to rely on the AK47 for hostile take-overs, harassment and intimidation of the general public, and long term warfare, I see no reason to deviate from the plan. All things being equal with the weaponry involved, all you simply need to do is be a better operator of what you have in your hands at the time. My "homeland defense rifle" should be nothing less......the AK47.
    +1
    I have a short barrel and long barrell SKS with synthetic stocks.
    the short uses AK clips and the Long the SKS penis clips. !0 clips each on hand.
    If we are invaded by hostiles, with the ammo I have on hand, I should be able to hold them off for a while. Then it's Wolverines time.

My short Paratrooper Model is in my Bug Out Bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ...My "homeland defense rifle" should be nothing less......the AK47.
    Some say the AK would make you confusing to friendly fire. I only state this without thinking it out. It is just what I've heard stated. I find it a little weak. I would think some national invasion would not involve AK 47s, as I belive most threats use AK 74s or FN.

I think the phrase "homeland defense rifle" is an interesting term because it wins the wording argument vs assault rifle, and since there is a slight patriotism to the term, the AK does it in function, but would lose the patriotism.
    NRA Member

Wasn't that the issue in Vietnam? Soldiers had the (as of the time) POS M16A1, Vietcong had the AK which was pretty dependable. The chance was just to great of being confused as the enemy to trade out your gun.

Could be wrong, just something I've heard through the grape vine-probably not accurate in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    A little over a year ago I sold my evil black rifle to buy a HD rifle...a good 'ole Marlin 336 30-30 in stainless steel. I put a fiber optic front site on it and it IS my HD perimeter weapon of choice. Nothing fancy, love the lever action simplicity, and now I have a huge stock of 30-30 ammo. I'm all set for the SHTF scenario (the neighbor has several machine guns)...our end of the subdivision is ALL SET.
    In the dark days of the Assault Weapon Ban, a friend-of-a-friend in NYC had to divest himself of his AR. He replaced it with a M94 'Trapper' - 16.01" barrel and large-loop lever; 5 or 6 rounds of serious .30-30. It was referred to as an "urban assault rifle."

A "huge stock" of ammo has to be relative to the gun's rate of fire - e.g., "huge" for an AR-15 is probably different than "huge" for a lever gun. Care to give an idea what you consider adequate for SHTF situations? (Got a 336 of my own in addition to a pair of ARs, but in my plan I'm arming a few people besides myself.)

On my street of starter homes and mostly sheeple, I'm apparently the only one with a perverse view of what's ahead. One neighbor is a former Marine but his heavy weapon is a Crosman airgun. I'd love to have a (friendly) neighbor like yours with machine guns and the correct mindset!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

About 30 or so years ago, I bought an old 1911 Colt .45 and a new Mini-14 .223/5.56mm for home defense and because of the ammo. I could have and should have bought more guns and ammo back then, my friends! Now, I have a few 9mm pistols and one .40 caliber gun for defense and fun. Now, I consider which cheap surplus or scope or bolt-action rifles to buy, depending on future scenarios and ammo supplies.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    When I first saw Homeland Defense Rifle, in print, it was a term being presented as a come-back to those who disparaged such rifles as assault rifles. "No, this is not an assault rifle, it is a Homeland Defense Rifle."

I see it as something to have in the event of something like the Beslan school seige by Islamic terrorists, if such an event happened in the USA, especially in an area without adequate preparation for such an event by local law enforcement. Such an event is exactly why I own an AR15, though in my case, I am one of the designated carbine officers at my PD, a big step down from the SWAT boys, but able to act in an event in which waiting for SWAT is not an option.

FWIW, if Islamist terrs were seizing a local school, and using AK-style weapons, I would NOT want to show up toting an AK-style weapon myself, if I were a private citizen in normal civilian clothing. Virtually all the local LEOs are using the AR15 platform, with a few Mini-14s scattered here and there.

Rather than try to write a book, I will just recommend the book _Terror at Beslan_. Homeland Defense will certainly make sense after reading that.

G.O.B., aka Good Ole Boys, the original militiamen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links