Today's purchase

Today's purchase

This is a discussion on Today's purchase within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I bought a Mossberg 500 12ga pump w/ pistol grip today for HD. I put 1 round of Remington Magnum 00 buck through it just ...

Today's purchase

I bought a Mossberg 500 12ga pump w/ pistol grip today for HD. I put 1 round of Remington Magnum 00 buck through it just to make sure it would go boom...and it did. I didn't want to peave off the neighbors too bad, so I stopped with 1 round. Can't wait to get out and put some more rounds through it. It's a new experience for me to try to aim a shotgun with a pistol grip. Thinking about a laser, tac light, and all that good stuff. Any thoughts on a good HD set-up (accessories, type of rounds, etc.). Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Hope the 500 serves you well.

It is very easy to hold the pistol grip shotgun across your waste line and if not careful fire 90% off target.

I would look for reduced power loads of 00 buckshot to use with this gun.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Well, good for you! If you can shoot in the back yard where you live, I'd say go for it and let the neighbors be pissed off if they will. Weeks from now, they may be doing the same thing, and you'll feel sorry you didn't take the opportunity. It is what it is, and I know how you feel. But one shot may sound like a murder out in the bush, five or more sound like practice. I figure more folks would be upset over the one shot than several. I'm just sayin', and giving you a different perspective about country folks and how they think (me included).
    My thoughts on your new Mossberg 500? You bought it as is for a HD long gun...what makes you think that adding parts of the kitchen sink is going to make it any better now that you've got it? Stick with the basics, and what you bought it for originally. Learn what you have now in your hands, and your list of amenities may dwindle somewhat. For now it should be business, and you should only put into your business what you've projected to get out of it short term. I say buy ammo for it. test several varieties, and pattern your new shotty on the range and see how well you both get along with certain ammo. That's where your money will be well spent and put to good use before you go to thinking of accessories and whatnot, and turning it into a beauty to behold rather than the tool it was intended. If you absolutely have to attach something to it in order to personalize your shotgun, the first place I would look is into getting a spare shell holder that's stable like a side saddle carrier. That's about it, and all of the good stuff from here. No need in turn a five pound shotgun into an eight pound nightmare. Stick to the basics is what I'm portraying here. The farther you get away from the basics, the more confused you'll become. Lights, lasers, good looking grips, colors, navigational sights, heat shields, etc...........they'll more than likely do nothing more than take you away from where you need to be. Sometimes it's difficult to see the bottom line. Stick with it, and everything will come out as it should. Forget the movies.

Good points, indeed. It is exactly that, a HD shotty. I can interchange barrels for hunting, but in that arena less is better as well. It's got the pistol grip installed (also came with a long stock) and I'll admit I didn't hit what I was aiming for in the back yard as it was my first pistol grip shotgun experience. Perhaps a little range time will negate any need for a laser (and a lot less expensive too). If I can shoot snubbies as accurately as I do, I'm sure I can do the same with this with a little time and practice. Until I get proficient with the pistol grip, I could replace it with the long stock. My thought behind a mounted light was it would be impossible to hold a flashlight while shooting. In any event, there's some practice time with it in my future before I do anything else. I appreciate the feedback and perspective.

GREAT PURCHASE! I just bought the same thing last sunday, except mine didn't come with the pistol grip. I did however buy a Knoxx adjustable stock for it. I'll be getting out to the range with it for the first time this weekend.

While I agree that simper is better, I want to put a light on mine too. In the event of a bump in the night I want to be able to identify my target before I shoot.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Very versatile. You can switch barrels in less than a minute. With this platform, you can transform one shotgun into most any use very quickly and easily. One of the draws for me. My buddy showed me his with an AR style stock (it has both a pistol grip and adjustable long stock that folds out of the way all in one). Talk about quick transformations...no screws or bolts, just a click and a pull. I bought some 3" rounds (00 buck), but might get some 2.75" for HD (would hold 6 in the mag tube instead of 5). I've got some testing and practicing to do with various rounds and set-ups.

Distinguished Member
    The Back-Up :: Home Protection Within Reach

Congrats. I just got one of these racks.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Keep it simple. Simple works under pressure.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I got the HD Model Mossberg last summer. It came with the optional pistol grip and heat shield. I made my own bed support from PVC pipe and Tees. I sleep better and it was cheaper than the Sleep Number Bed.

My advice: get rid of the pistol grip and put an actual stock on it.

The pistol grip does nothing to help you shoot it, and in several ways makes it harder (as you said above, you couldn't hit your target...it also slows down follow up shots).

I have yet to see an actual, tangible benefit for a pistol grip on a HD shotgun.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    My advice: get rid of the pistol grip and put an actual stock on it.

The pistol grip does nothing to help you shoot it, and in several ways makes it harder (as you said above, you couldn't hit your target...it also slows down follow up shots).

I have yet to see an actual, tangible benefit for a pistol grip on a HD shotgun.
    I fully agree, it is real easy in an emergency to fire your pistol grip shotgun from the waist with barrel pointed at 90* away from intended target.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

A flash light is a MUST for me on a HD shottie!

I have an Hellfighter x-12 with pressure pad on the rack.

it does not add a lot of weight and gives you the ability to see at night, dont be afraid to add one.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

I bought one last year with the Knoxx recoil reducing pistol grip. I am still scared to shoot it.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    You're down in the SW mountains, right?

Take that puppy over to the range in Blacksburg and do some real shooting!

It's pretty fun trying to hit 75yd targets with rifled slugs and an 18" barrel with just a bead sight...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    You're down in the SW mountains, right?

Take that puppy over to the range in Blacksburg and do some real shooting!

It's pretty fun trying to hit 75yd targets with rifled slugs and an 18" barrel with just a bead sight...
    Yep. I haven't been to the range in Blacksburg yet...I go to PSS in Roanoke several times a month. I'm going to spend some time getting used to it.

Links