My lazy questions concerning cheap rifles:

This is a discussion on My lazy questions concerning cheap rifles: within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have more guns than I really need, including the Mini-14 .223/5.56mm, the Colt .45, and several 9mms with a Mossburg 500 shotgun, and a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My lazy questions concerning cheap rifles:

My lazy questions concerning cheap rifles:

I have more guns than I really need, including the Mini-14 .223/5.56mm, the Colt .45, and several 9mms with a Mossburg 500 shotgun, and a few .22s. So, I now consider buying a sensible or surplus rifle. I once had an Enfield .303 but that ammo is getting rare out there because the Brits have gone gunless and gutless with the end of their empire. I consider buying an 8mm Mauser rifle, if that ammo is still sort of cheap and plentiful. I also wonder about these imported old Soviet and Eastern European rifles, if the ammo is also cheap and plentiful. Research and reading hurts and takes time and causes me brain strain and causes me to whine. I'd rather get this information free and easy from gun lovers and others. So, I await suggestions about which cheap simple surplus rifles to buy, considering the ammunition availability and price and practicality, the guns that are nice for a reasonable price. They ought to shoot good too.

2. Remove Ads

7.62x54R seem to be all over for sale. I have two, one that I chopped the stock and cleaned up for a deer rifle. The other I left ugly, bayonet and full wood stocks.

The Mosin Nagant rifles are OK, they are nothing to rave about. They are balisticly similar to a 30-06. Most ammo I find is cheap and either steel cased or FMJ surplus stuff. The old military stuff is always full of duds, I am sure it is real old.

I paid $100 for the pair I have.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

gtv
    I own a Russian Mosin-Nagant M91/30 and a Swiss K31, and really enjoy both of them. The Swiss rifle is amazing... the straight pull bolt is made like... well, like a Swiss watch, and the accuracy is amazing. The best thing about it is that unlike most other countries, the Swiss never used corrosive ammo, so the bores on these guns are very bright, and usually in very good condition. Mine is a 1948 manufacture, and the metalwork looks nearly new. Like most K31s. though, the stock is a bit nicked and dented. The 7.5x55 mm ammo is available in bulk (FMJ), but Wolf and S&B manufacture good HP hunting rounds in this caliber, too. The K31 is becoming a little harder to find, though, and prices are going up. I bought mine for $130, and now they are going for about $230 - $300 depending on condition.

The Russian Mosins are also good rifles, fun to shoot, and ammo is very plentiful (7.62x54R) -- surplus ammo (all corrosive) as well as non-corrosive hunting rounds by Wolf and S&B. Harder to find a good clean bore with these, but there are some good shooters out there. Make sure you look for matching serial numbers as this will help ensure getting a shooter, and with the Russian guns, you probably want to get the headspace checked before shooting them, as there have been some issues with that. Mine is a 1939 Tula manufacture, and although it has been arsenal-repaired, it has matching numbers, a decent bore, and the accuracy is respectable.

Check out http://www.surplurifleforum.com for more info on military rifles.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

VIP Member
    Whats your Idea about whats cheap??

J&g sales had my dream rifle(I'cannot buy it),I'm married(dead man walking), if you know what I mean,a CETME.308, for $500. to me that was a great price. not a steal. but a great price.
    If your going to buy a Mil. surplus rifle, I agree about the swiss rifles, as well as anything with a mauser base action, 7mm being Ideal, with 8mm second. Should be able to get one for around 250 -$300

"Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I have to say that the "I'm lazy so you guys do the work for me" is not very respectful. We're not your minions. Go do some introductory research, come to some tentative conclusions and then the men and women on this forum are experts at helping you clarify the issues you're facing and make firm conclusions.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Eh, at least he's honest.

For a good, fairly accurate, surplus rifle with plenty of cheap ammo out there...I'd look at a good Czech CZ24 or or a Yugo M48 (some of the Yugos can be found in almost new condition).

There's lots of surplus 8mm out there for fairly cheap; it's corrosive, of course, so it requires a little more effort as far as caring for the rifle.

However, for the cheapest surplus rifle ammo out there, it's hard to beat 5.45x39. There's plenty of AK's chambered in that caliber for not much, but still more than a good surplus bolt rifle.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    First off, something inexpensive, and something "cheap" are totally different. Inexpensive guns are great, cheap or cheaply made guns are not. The least expensive milsurp option in a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and 7.62x54r ammo. The most accurate milsurp is the Swiss K31 with the Finn M39 close behind. Any of the Mausers, Russian caputre K98, Yugo 24/47 or M48 are also fine rifles.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Thanks, I'm still reading, uh...researching this on my own from my home, but please keep posting.

Senior Moderator
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'll agree with the Mosin-Nagant suggestions, cheap ammo, fun to shoot.

Thanks! I just added this web site to my "Favorites"!

"Corrosive" ammo does not scare me that much, since I have been shooting at riffraff rebels with filthy dirty foul black-powder guns, just for fun, for about a decade or so, like ya know. However, since I have resumed shooting real, cleaner, modern guns, during the past six months or so, I have started delaying my cleaning of them; because they really don't seem to be dirty enough to hurty them. Unlike black powder, I have been delaying and procrastinating for a day...or two...or even a few. This weekend, I hope that they do not have any or many of these surplus rifles at the Westland Mall, y'all; which is in Columbus, Ohio, like ya know.

Today, Sat. April 10, 2010, at Vance in Columbus, Ohio, there was a big wooden box full of Nagant rifles on the floor behind the counter, for sale at $100 apiece. It looked like a Soviet supply room behind the counter. All Soviet 7-something-milimeters are not the same! Some being 7.39s and 7.59s, etc. I resisted them and the Henrys and those old S&W cops guns, this time, again, for awhile. This was after attending the gun show at the Westland Mall, y'all.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Today, Sat. April 10, 2010, at Vance in Columbus, Ohio, there was a big wooden box full of Nagant rifles on the floor behind the counter, for sale at $100 apiece. It looked like a Soviet supply room behind the counter. All Soviet 7-something-milimeters are not the same! Some being 7.39s and 7.59s, etc. I resisted them and the Henrys and those old S&W cops guns, this time, again, for awhile. This was after attending the gun show at the Westland Mall, y'all.
    The Mosin Nagant is a 7.62x54 caliber rifle.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Rows and rows of long worn brown-wooden-stocked rifles with strange names and calibers, making the eyesight hurt and straining the brain while trying to remember what was where and how much it cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links