Do I really need it?

Do I really need it?

This is a discussion on Do I really need it? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This might go under off topic or general guns, but here goes... Should I buy a Ruger 96 (lever action) 17hmr rifle for prairie dog/ ...

Do I really need it?

This might go under off topic or general guns, but here goes...

Should I buy a Ruger 96 (lever action) 17hmr rifle for prairie dog/ varmint shooting? There are a few concerns, I already use a 10/22 and AR to varmint hunt; I would have to trade my 1896 springfield or my 1942 #1 mrk III* Lee-Enfield; and cost to shoot a non-reloadable round.

I really like the short throw lever on the Ruger, but the rifles asking price is $410. It's NIB, what should I counter for it? My 1896 Springfield has a dark bore, and broken stock, but the action still most all has the case hardening on it. The Lee-Enfield is in great condition ~90%. It is a Australian Lithgow marked 1941 matching except the bolt. Should I keep these as investments or let one go?

I'm of two minds and can't seem to decide to pull the trigger. Your input would be appreciated.

PS while I typed this, a buddy just called to offer a Savage bolt 17hmr w/ acu-trigger w/ cheap scope for $225. I really want a lever or auto 17hmr or 22 mag, but is this a good price?
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Here's what you want to hear, I fear: Keep them all and buy more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghuqu2 View Post
    This might go under off topic or general guns, but here goes...

Should I buy a Ruger 96 (lever action) 17hmr rifle for prairie dog/ varmint shooting? There are a few concerns, I already use a 10/22 and AR to varmint hunt; I would have to trade my 1896 springfield or my 1942 #1 mrk III* Lee-Enfield; and cost to shoot a non-reloadable round.

I really like the short throw lever on the Ruger, but the rifles asking price is $410. It's NIB, what should I counter for it? My 1896 Springfield has a dark bore, and broken stock, but the action still most all has the case hardening on it. The Lee-Enfield is in great condition ~90%. It is a Australian Lithgow marked 1941 matching except the bolt. Should I keep these as investments or let one go?

I'm of two minds and can't seem to decide to pull the trigger. Your input would be appreciated.

PS while I typed this, a buddy just called to offer a Savage bolt 17hmr w/ acu-trigger w/ cheap scope for $225. I really want a lever or auto 17hmr or 22 mag, but is this a good price?
    No you don't need a .17.

And no, that's not a super deal on the Savage.

You've got your bases covered as far as dogging rifles with the 10/22 and the .223; the .17 really won't do anything for you.

If you really want the lever Ruger, just save up until you can buy it instead of getting rid of a rifle you like. And if you do get it...I'd recommend .22WMR over the .17 any day.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

IMHO, a .223 IS a varmint rifle supreme. The only uprgrade from that would be a 22-250 bolt with long heavy barrel.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

You do what you like but I'd hate to give up a Krag or SMLE for a Ruger .17. In fact I wouldn't do it. The two military rifles are more interesting.

Could you post a photo of the Model 1896? Have you tried cleaning it with JB Bore Cleaner?

Love my dads 22-250,(very flat shooting) that used to be mine....except for deer hunting(too fast of a bullet) I shot a small spike and the deer literally kept on eating...blowed my mind, i knew i couldn't have missed he was only like 30 yards, well as i grabbed the bolt to chamber another round the deer took a step and collapsed and bleed out....i have never had that problem with my .270 , come to find out i had gut shot him. so the 22-250 now is for varmits and beavers... the .270 would have dropped him for sure.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    There is no way in Hades I'd sell what you have for the Ruger, of any .17.
    I would put away 50 bucks from each pay check and get it next year.

22-250 is a fassssssssssst round!

Keep the Springfield.

J
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    My varmint rifle is a Savage 12FV in .204 Ruger and I love it. Hornady claims 4250 FPS with their 32 grain bullet factory ammo. I am getting somewhere around 4000 FPS with my own loads (Remington brass, Sierra BK 39 gr bullet, 27 gr Varget powder and a CCI BR4 primer) It shoots like a laser beam. My longest kill shot on a woodchuck was 429 yards as measured by the Bushnell range finder. He just dropped like a sack of meat. Get the Savage with Accutrigger, you won't be sorry.

Don't get the .17 if you need to trade those old rifles to get it. If you really want it just save those pennies. Your current varmint guns have clearly been working so far, and they will continue to work.

gtv
    Don't sell what you have to get the .17HMR. That being said, I love my H&R single shot hummer, it has to be one of my favorite rifles to shoot.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

I don't like the HMR 17 at all!!!!!

Buy more ammo for the SMLE and use it.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Let me propose a different approach. You want a 'fun' varmint rifle?

This Henry rifle...in 22mag. Henry Repeating Arms Rifles

I love the gun! I added a Leupold scope to mine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't think I would trade off what you have for the .17 Save your pennies, use the .223 in the meantime, then when you're ready, buy a heavy-barrel
    .243 to work up a load and see how far away you can pick them off!
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

You probably need it as much as I need a pretty brass-parted Henry rifle and a Taurus Judge and a Walther .22 and a shiny new 9mm Beretta and a cheap surplus rifle and...

Links