Question about shipping/aking shotgun to Puerto Rico

This is a discussion on Question about shipping/aking shotgun to Puerto Rico within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My uncle found an old shot gun that he really really likes. He is looking to buy it but lives in Puerto Rico. From what ...

Thread: Question about shipping/aking shotgun to Puerto Rico

My uncle found an old shot gun that he really really likes. He is looking to buy it but lives in Puerto Rico. From what he tells me PR is really strict with guns. I am not sure if an FFL will work 100% or taking the gun with him and letting the airline know. Also when he gets to PR would they give hime any trouble because he bought it from Ohio? We are just covering all of our bases.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Let's see if Cagueits chimes in; he lives in the island and might be able to answer your question. Meantime, try reading through the document below (in Spanish) regarding the firearm laws in PR.

http://www.leydearmas.com/docs/ley404-armas.pdf
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Do not bring a firearm into Puerto Rico without a Puerto Rico Firearms License, unless you want to be a 2nd amendment test case (and spend a lot of time in prison in the process).

To obtain a Puerto Rico Firearms License you need to comply with 25 LPRA Sec 456a:

Link in spanish

Link in english

Here is the master form the Puerto Rico State Police uses to process request related to firearms licenses/permits.

Hours of operation/phone numbers to the Puerto Rico State Police Firearms Licensing Division can be found at the end of their webpage.

Other forms can be found here.

Your uncle can have firearms sent via CONUS FFL to a Puerto Rico FFL and have the Puerto Rico FFL hold the firearm for a fee. Do contact a Puerto Rico FFL before sending the firearm. As far as I know, a firearms can also be stored at the Puerto Rico State Police HQ for a fee – but anyone will strongly advise you against it as they may become damaged/missing (yes it happens frequently). If no rush is involved, someone can hold on to the firearm in Ohio while your uncle gets the shall issue permit (he has to receive it within 90days if I’m not mistaken). Basically if you qualify, you get the permit (read the first/second link above for the requirements). He only needs to go to a local Puerto Rico State Police station and request the paperwork, but to tell you the truth, no one will help him out there as most of the times they are undermanned/have no clue they are supposed to do that anyways. Best bet is to go straight to the Puerto Rico State Police Firearms Licensing Division at the HQ building in Hato Rey, PR (tell him the big State Police building by Plaza las Americas and he’ll know where it is), and get the ball rolling. They’ll give him the paperwork and he can do the fingerprinting there also. He’ll need to get a $100 PR IRS firearms fee and staple the receipt to the application, as well as obtain some sworn statements from 3 persons who have no issue with him having firearms, and a sworn statement he’ll have to make also; all the papwerwork he'll need will be given to him at the Puerto Rico State Police Firearms Licensing Division. Be advised, there are some consents in the forms he’ll be issued that may be illegal (authorization to go into medical records is one I found the last time I read the form – PR State Law does not authorize the PR State Police to request this info). Is up to him to sign the waiver or fight in court (for years).

Basically the firearms license will allow him to own 2 loaded firearms in his domicile/property, that’s it. Carry/target practice permits are separate and cost $$$ accordingly. I advise you to request the Target Practice permit at the same time the Firearms License is requested, so he can own more than 2 firearms + fire the ones he owns. Heres the info on the permit:

Spanish link

English link

In order to request the target permit endorsement on the firearms license, he'll need to affiliate himself with a local shooting club. Here's the info to the club/armory I'm affiliated (they happens to do the cheapest FFL transfers on the eastern side of the Island + have IPSC club/facility + rifle range on site/nearby):

RL Armería Caguas
    #9 Calle Intendente Ramirez
    Caguas, PR 00725
    caguas@rlarmeria.com
    Teléfonos: 787-743-9446 / 787-746-5269 / 787-743-2427
    FAX 407-386-6608

Main webpage: (FYI there are two armories and one shooting club)
    rlarmeria.com - Página inicial

There is also a Concealed Handgun Permit; the requirements are here: (get the Firearms License before requesting this permit)

Spanish link

English link

There are also hunting permits and temporary target shooting permits for sports events. They are burried somewhere in the firearms law. The whole Firearms Law is here:

Spanish link

English link

Some final notes, 25 LPRA Sec 456a(a)8 lets any US citizen apply for a Puerto Rico Firearms License, and there is no requirement in the Carry Permit section of the law for US citizens to live in PR in order to request the carry permit endorsement.

Feel free to post any other questions, as the law is kind of confusing. Do send me a PM, as I do not spend as much time here as I used to. Links on thread should be good for a couple of weeks. No legal advice issued anywhere in this post.

Take care.
    Last edited by cagueits; April 5th, 2010 at 11:48 PM.
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

Sponsored Links