pre ban AR Mags

This is a discussion on pre ban AR Mags within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in NY. I will be here for another 14 years when I can retire from the fire dept. But who's counting. I need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pre ban AR Mags

pre ban AR Mags

I live in NY. I will be here for another 14 years when I can retire from the fire dept. But who's counting. I need some pre ban AR Mags due to NYS and the stupid laws. Does anyone know a web site with pre-ban mags that will ship to NY? I need Pre 1994 mags. Thank you for any help you can give.
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

2. Remove Ads

You might have to take a little drive to a neighboring state for those.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by moggie6 View Post
    I live in NY. I will be here for another 14 years when I can retire from the fire dept. But who's counting. I need some pre ban AR Mags due to NYS and the stupid laws. Does anyone know a web site with pre-ban mags that will ship to NY? I need Pre 1994 mags. Thank you for any help you can give.
    What exactly do you mean by "pre-ban" mags? There was no special marking on high-capacity magazines prior to the AWB. During the ban, high-caps were marked "military and law enforcement only". Since the ban expired, the magazines are back to no special markings. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a 1990 mag and a 2010 mag if both were new.

Is there some other feature you're referring to? Or is the issue one of delivery to a NY State address? If it's the latter, then just drive over to CT or PA and get what you need.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I feel your pain, a rural gun shop I know has a bunch of preban Colt marked magazines. He is asking a pretty penny for them, but might be up your alley.
    Jim owns the place and will ship to you.
    Champion City Guns‎
    243 U.S. 50, Rosebud, MO 63091
    (573) 764-2676‎

If the internals are bad, buy the body and get a mag rebuild kit from 44mag.com.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    What exactly do you mean by "pre-ban" mags? There was no special marking on high-capacity magazines prior to the AWB. During the ban, high-caps were marked "military and law enforcement only". Since the ban expired, the magazines are back to no special markings. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a 1990 mag and a 2010 mag if both were new.

Is there some other feature you're referring to? Or is the issue one of delivery to a NY State address? If it's the latter, then just drive over to CT or PA and get what you need.
    Yeah...well, I'm confused as well. Keep us posted.

:Pop corn: What are pre-ban mags?

What's wrong with the 40 rounders you can buy now?
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Some states laws echoed the federal ban on certain weapons and did not sunset like the federal ban. NY is one of these states, and require only preban hicap mags or 10 rd mags. Here is the current NY firearms laws.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

In NYS you cannot possess a hi-cap magazine that was manufactured after September 1994. So this guy is looking to get some pre-ban mags, since the AWB in NY never expired. I know that Century Arms sells pre-ban stuff specifically for NYS, but they mainly deal in AK stuff.

Century International Arms, Inc.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    How can you tell the difference between pre-ban and post-ban?

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    In NYS you cannot possess a hi-cap magazine that was manufactured after September 1994. So this guy is looking to get some pre-ban mags, since the AWB in NY never expired. I know that Century Arms sells pre-ban stuff specifically for NYS, but they mainly deal in AK stuff.

Century International Arms, Inc.
    "Since the ban expired, the magazines are back to no special markings. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a 1990 mag and a 2010 mag if both were new."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

"Since the ban expired, the magazines are back to no special markings. You'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between a 1990 mag and a 2010 mag if both were new."

Probably wouldn't work with P-Mags...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

i had a bunch.. i traded some guy 1 20rd old preban for new 30 round pmags... i got 12 :)...

I guess I could go to Harbor Freight and buy an engraver and take a coupla my 30 rounders and engrave PreBan on the floor plate.You can't hardly argue with that kinda logic
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Some pop up in the for sale section of the site in my signature. Also the ar15.com for sale section and gunbroker have them occasionally.

Watch out for price gougers though. You can get the best deals if you find old mags that are not labeled as "preban" in the description.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I guess I could go to Harbor Freight and buy an engraver and take a coupla my 30 rounders and engrave PreBan on the floor plate.You can't hardly argue with that kinda logic
    Duk wins the Joseph Heller award for the most clever solution!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links