HD philosophy change and new AR

This is a discussion on HD philosophy change and new AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have rethunk :) my HD decision our house is 2 stories with 1100s.f. on both levels no hallways at all. I had the Mossy ...

Thread: HD philosophy change and new AR

HD philosophy change and new AR

I have rethunk :) my HD decision our house is 2 stories with 1100s.f. on both levels no hallways at all. I had the Mossy by the bed but the wife would never shoot it to much kick for her we now keep the P95 on a magnet behind the headboard so we both can reach it. This will be more than adequate I believe for self defense and house clearing especially with no hallways. With that said I traded the Mossy for an AR15 here is my question the upper has a 20" barrel and seems heavy to me but since I am not using it for CQC should I keep the 20 for better accuracy at longer range or drop down to a 16 or 14 inch upper for weight. How much will that effect the longer range accuracy?

2. Remove Ads

I used a sloppy fitting short M4 in the Army and had perfectly acceptable accuracy out to 350 meters.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

I'd say leave it as is. If you have no hallways, the 20" brl shouldn't be an issue. And if you're only using it for SD, and not carrying it for extended lengths, than the little bit of extra weight shouldn't effect you that much. OMO.

Good luck.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

In a home defense situation, when the adrenalin (sp?) gets pumping, you will not even think about the weight of the weapon you are carrying. It could be a 108mm mortar and you would handle it well. Might wonder afterwards how you did it, but you would do it.

I've seen 10-inch ARs that shoot nearly as accurately out to 100 yards as their long-barreled cousins. A lot more goes into accuracy than barrel length; typically that just helps sight radius.

If your AR has a collapsible stock, I'd say leave it as it. My 870 has an 18" barrel and with a fixed stock that's as long a gun as I'd like to swing indoors.

Besides, the likelihood of using your AR for home defense instead of a handgun is really pretty low, unless you live along our southern border.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbum View Post
    I have rethunk :) my HD decision ...

... for CQC should I keep the 20 for better accuracy at longer range or drop down to a 16 or 14 inch upper for weight. How much will that effect the longer range accuracy?
    For close-in fire, not needing to cover anything beyond 100yds, and excluding the need to "double" for shooting beyond 150yds with any degree of accuracy, I'm of the opinion that a lightweight 11-14" 5.56x45 platform would be the best choice. Ideally, with a rifle with easily swapped barrels, to handle longer distances. Hard hitting enough, reduced risk of deep penetration (with the right ammo), accurate, light, short to reduce risk around corners. Seems to me to be the perfect match.

Have done the "carbine" AR route previously. I'm not much of an AR ergo/interface fan. Give me the SIG 556, Magpul/Rem ACR or HK interfaces every time.

But, for the specific role you mention, I can't see needing anything beyond a 16" bbl, ever, with a 11-14" bbl being optimal. The longer the barrel, the more it can hang up on corners.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    A lot more goes into accuracy than barrel length; typically that just helps sight radius.
    Yup.

Noveske Rifleworks makes a couple of tasty options in the 10-14" range. IIRC, JD picked up one last year. An acquaintance had an original AR with 10" bbl at the range, last year. What an amazing rifle that was, as light and nimble as anything I have handled.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks a bunch for the opinions guys I think i will keep the 20 on for a bit and and get a 14 later on to see how much difference there is. From what I can find velocity holds up a bit better with the longer barrel I may be totally wrong but we shall see.

I've seen 10-inch ARs that shoot nearly as accurately out to 100 yards as their long-barreled cousins. A lot more goes into accuracy than barrel length; typically that just helps sight radius.

If your AR has a collapsible stock, I'd say leave it as it. My 870 has an 18" barrel and with a fixed stock that's as long a gun as I'd like to swing indoors.

Besides, the likelihood of using your AR for home defense instead of a handgun is really pretty low, unless you live along our southern border.
    How would that be true?

My AR is my primary HD firearm because it does the job better than a pistol for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Texag View Post
    How would that be true?

My AR is my primary HD firearm because it does the job better than a pistol for me.
    Simply from the "handiness" factor, a handgun being manageable with one hand yet a long arm typically requiring two hands to manipulate. Also, the power level of most long arms increases the likelihood of sending a round beyond the walls of your domicile. But that was a generalization - "your mileage may vary."
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Simply from the "handiness" factor, a handgun being manageable with one hand yet a long arm typically requiring two hands to manipulate. Also, the power level of most long arms increases the likelihood of sending a round beyond the walls of your domicile. But that was a generalization - "your mileage may vary."
    That is why I started this thread mostly guess sometimes ppl don't read the p95 is my home invasion defense.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    The shorter barrel really impacts the terminal effectiveness of the 5.56. It needs a minimum velocity to yaw and fragment properly. Go over to AR15.com ammo oracle to see the ins and outs. But almost any length will work inside your house.

If you do not have a collapsible stock, I would get one first. With that, I think you'll be ok with the 20" barrel.

I have the Colt A2 Govt. Carbine which comes with a 16" barrel and a collapsible stock. For me, I think it is perfect for home defense or outdoor work.

I wouldn't go shorter than 16" on the length of your barrel, but I would try the collapsible stock before changing barrels. Much easier to do.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You've got a point in the handiness factor, but in the OP's situation I don't think it is as big a factor. Even if he goes to clear his house it's not like he has to worry about tight corners due to his floorplan. An AR is an improvement in lethality, accuracy, and ease of retention should it comes to that. Because so many .223/5.56 loads fragment, they do not penetrate as many walls as a the premium pistol self defense loads.

Links