To own an SBR in two years.

This is a discussion on To own an SBR in two years. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have set a goal to get my self an SBR within the next two years. I do plan on spending a pretty penny..hence the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To own an SBR in two years.

I have set a goal to get my self an SBR within the next two years. I do plan on spending a pretty penny..hence the two years it will take for me to save up....especially with a new born in May.

I already have a AR which I'm happy with. But would like to get another....with a little flair.

My ideal goal is a 14inch barrel and a actual suppresser. Would I have to pay the tax and fill the paper work for the barrel and the supresser seperate? Or do they go under the same credentials since they are on the same rifle.

This is just rough draft idea since I have plenty of time to think this out. Heck, by thime I get the $$ I could very well be intrested in something else....but for starters I'm on this route.

Also should I just stick to Nato, and Remmington cartriges...or maybe look into a 6.8 type caliber?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure I'd go through the paperwork hassle for a 14" SBR when a 16" gun is perfectly legal. I've seen reliable SBRs with 10.5" barrels - I'd be looking at 10.5 to 12" if your intent is on "short."

The 6.8's advantage is primarily downrange... not sure there would be much advantage over a 5.56 inside of 50 yards. Of course I'm assuming you're not going to use this on prairie dogs.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My buddys M16 has a 10 1/2" bbl and with stock collapsed its pretty small,but it's also really loud when we fire bursts
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Not sure I'd go through the paperwork hassle for a 14" SBR when a 16" gun is perfectly legal. I've seen reliable SBRs with 10.5" barrels - I'd be looking at 10.5 to 12" if your intent is on "short."

The 6.8's advantage is primarily downrange... not sure there would be much advantage over a 5.56 inside of 50 yards. Of course I'm assuming you're not going to use this on prairie dogs.
    ah..true. 10 incher sounds better. yeah, since I have a rifle in .308...I'd think to be better to stick with .556.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Your tax and registration is on the lower receiver, not the barrel. And yes, you have to have another tax stamp for your suppressor.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    And yes, you have to have another tax stamp for your suppressor.
    dang.....

You can always do the permanent attached FH. With a 14 inch barrel, an AAC Blackout will put you at 16". If you don't have to do the paperwork route, why bother? Less Uncle Sam, less money, and the 200 dollars you didn't want to spend on the suppressor tax stamp can be covered by not paying the rifle's form 1 or 4. Forget all the jargon about PA'd hiders. If maintained, and I hope you will maintain an expensive piece, there are zero problems. Consider that a pinned FH will be much more stable for a suppressor mount (no rotation under heat as seen on videos), and you'll have to apply Rocksett to it anyways to lock it to the barrel, what do you have to lose?

Correction: You'd need a barrel cut to 14.125 to make 16", no biggie, as nobody makes a 14" without gunsmithing anyways. Start with a 14.5", not a 16" so the likelihood of having to play with the gas port is reduced.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    make a 9mm sbr. no gas system to worry about.

How about a 7 inch barrel with a can?
    I can no longer keep track of threads as I used to. If you need to contact me, PM me instead of asking me something in the thread. Disclaimer - No legal advice issued anywhere. Take care.

well,

model1sales.com has a model of xm177 carbine with a 10.5 in barrel, and a 5.5 permanently affixed FH, in a variety of styles.

there are seperate tax stamps involved for short barrels and actual suppressors, as far as i know. and i think - someone correct me if i'm worng here, please - there is a sunset on the tax stamps anyway. plus you'd have to get a new one for a new suppressor.

and finally - if choosing between the two, go with a 5.56mm over the .223 remy, for simple matter of chamber pressures - the 5.56 has a higher end and can handle the .223 rounds' pressure curve, but not always the reverse. the 6.8 is good, but ammo is rather limited (around here at least) and is quite a bit more expensive. plus, if going coyote hunting, 6.8 would do the trick, but don't you want a pelt left after the shot?

lemme know how it turns out for you, and congrats on the new baby!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" ~Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotWarrior View Post
    someone correct me if i'm worng here, please - there is a sunset on the tax stamps anyway. plus you'd have to get a new one for a new suppressor.
    Negative. It's been here since 1934 and if we want it to go away, we've got to do something about it.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    I have set a goal to get my self an SBR within the next two years. ..
    I already have a AR which I'm happy with. But would like to get another....with a little flair...
    My ideal goal is a 14inch barrel and a actual suppresser.
    This is just rough draft idea since I have plenty of time to think this out. Thanks in advance.
    Build yourself an AR pistol , IMHO a 10.5 inch

(Not Mine)

You can piece one together over a period of time -
    receiver , parts , upper.

When ready you can do the paperwork and add a stock.

Later you can add the suppressor.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

^ Good idear......now that's got me thinking.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a LMT 10.5 with a AAC M4-2000 can, great gun, no issues (I do run a H2 buffer, and a Noveske switchblock). Lots of manufactures will not warranty their cans mounted on rifles with a barrel length less than 10. Just remember the shorter the barrel the less velocity you are going to have. If you use it for defensive roles try to find 5.56, not .223 loads. Personally I load my with TAP red box 5.56 (w/T2 bullet).

Quote Originally Posted by aksrule View Post
    build yourself an ar pistol , imho a 10.5 inch

(not mine)

^^^^^^uggghhhh what is that???!! I want one!!^^^^^^^^^
    guns rule

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links