Concerns about rear windage adjustments

This is a discussion on Concerns about rear windage adjustments within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys, I just sighted in my 16" mid-length the other day and my windage adjustments leave my rear aperture cranked to the left a ...

Thread: Concerns about rear windage adjustments

Concerns about rear windage adjustments

Hey guys,

I just sighted in my 16" mid-length the other day and my windage adjustments leave my rear aperture cranked to the left a good bit.

I'm using a DD a1.5 fixed rear sight. There are approximately 38 clicks from one side to the other, so I started zeroing in the middle at 19 clicks in. With those adjustments I was shooting off to the right about 6-8". I ended up moving the sights 13 clicks to the left to get a 50 yard zero.

Anyways, the rifle groups beautifully, elevation was adjusted by a click or two. It's just rear sights I'm worried about. Does 13 clicks sound reasonable to you guys? I plan on experimenting with some different ammo, this was with 55gr fmj.

2. Remove Ads

If the next time you pick up your rifle and shoot a group and your rounds go where you want them, I wouldnt worry about how many clicks which way. They made that sight adjustable for a reason.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    So I assume this is an AR-15.

13 Clicks is normal enough. Depending on little variations of how the upper was assembled there will always be some difference from rifle to rifle.

Repeat your tests over multiple shooting days to ensure they are correct. Repeat the tests at 100-200 yards as well. Then get some nail polish and mark them. If your rifle is inconstant from day to day, check that all the screws are tight...

AR-15's are very flat shooting from 25-250 yards. I don't recall exact numbers, but the bullet path it is only 2-3 inches above or below the line of sight from 25-250 yards.

Keep your rifle vertical (from tilting to the left and right) as well to avoid cant. If you tilt it, the sighting system has errors.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My M16's BZO was Left 7. My M4's BZO was Mechanical Zero. Your results may vary.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I have a problem with rear windage...right after I eat a big bowl of chili :)
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sure ... but does it click?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

You might look at the whole rifle to find the problem. I put one AR15 together and it maxed out the windage. I discovered that the front sight was machined wrong and when I put it on the rail it was off to one side necessating massive windage correction. I "fixed" it temporarily by slightly canting the railed forend to get it centered until I could replace the front sight.

Well, took it out again (yes, it's an AR-15) and zero's still good. Consistent groups even with my bad shooting. I put some more 55gr and 62gr through it and they both were approximately the same by my rough estimates.

I tested out the canted front sight problem by putting the upper on a level surface upside down so that it sat on the front and rear sights. I don't know if that's a good way to tell or not, but there was a slight amount of wobble. Not enough to max out the windage but it is off to the left a good bit and it's just annoying (for me) more than anything else.

I'm just going to keep it like it is, probably not worth the trouble or money to try and fix it as long as it keeps shooting like it does now. Thanks for the reassurance.

Links