Rock River Arms .308 Operator

This is a discussion on Rock River Arms .308 Operator within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I stopped by the shop today and saw one of these for 1200.00. I have been thinking about a .308 for awhile but was wondering ...

Thread: Rock River Arms .308 Operator

I stopped by the shop today and saw one of these for 1200.00. I have been thinking about a .308 for awhile but was wondering peoples opinions on them and especially this one. I hear good things about RRA.
    I was wondering how the recoil is on one of these. I hate the recoil of my 30-06 bolt gun but am fine with a mosin nagant. Just looking for some input from people who have these or have fired them.
    I don't really have a particular use for the gun, I just kind of want it as a range toy.
    Thanks
    It was this one with a standard A2 stock on it.

Rock River Arms: NEW! RRA LAR-8 Standard Operator
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    The recoil on an AR10-style .308 is easily manageable and the .308 is an excellent and versatile round, but obviously not perfect for all occasions. I haven't fired or owned an RRA, but the chatter seems to be favorable.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

It's a good looking weapon!

Senior Moderator
    I like it so much that I have that exact rifle on order...for about a month now.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

.308 is an excellent round for destroying some deer and probably good up to about black bear sizes. Recoil is pretty low with my Winchester 100 and Springfield M1A, though I have never fired the RRA gun you're looking at. I am sure it won't be much more harsh, if at all.

Have you handled it? The biggest con I find w/ ar10s is the weight. Think about humping it in the woods before you buy. If you want a pure hunting semi-auto look at the Browning bar, the Remington 7400 carbine, or the Benelli rifle.
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

I got a chance to handle it a bit. It does seem a bit heavy (9lbs). I have a 30-06 as my hunting rifle (about 6.5 lbs). I am not sure if I would want to use this to hunt or not. I imagine with a scope on there it might get pretty heavy humping it around out in the woods. Certainly it wouldn't be a gun to take up in the mountains but on some flat terrain it might be managable. I have briefly entertained the idea of a 6.8 SPC but I am not fond of having calibers that are not all that common. The .308 is pretty ubiquitous and cheaper than the 6.8 so it seems like a good choice. More punch than .223. Just seemed like a pretty sweet rifle to me and was just wondering how people felt about it.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

*Second hand info* So take this for what it's worth. A Sheriff's deputy friend of mine was telling me he had one on order for close to a year. Not sure which model. He kept calling them to inquire about delay. Apparently they were having problems with cracked receivers on the .308 models. He finally canceled his order and bought a tricked out Kimber .45 instead.

This was around 2 years ago and I have no idea if they continue to have problems with their forgings. Hopefully they have the bugs worked out by now.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have to, well...want to buy ONE good long-range scoped rifle, considering future events, scenarios and availability and price of ammunition for the mission. I am not really a rifle man, because most of us local folks can only shoot handguns for fun at these too few local gun ranges, the farmland and countryside having disappeared around here, I fear.

I have an AR10 in 308,you can shoot it all day long and not get beat up by the recoil
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My brother just picked up that same gun, LAR-8 Elite Operator. Cant wait till Saturday to go over and heat the barrel up a bit Give a report on Monday.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

i own an RRA LAR 8 elite operator and i can say it the best firearm in my collection recoil is less than shooting my 20G bolt shotgun its tough and reliable weight is a bit of an issure on the hunting grounds but a sling makes that easily manageable the only complant i have the cost of ammo but the way prices are going that can be said for all ammo

VIP Member
    The 308 has been turning cover into concealment for over half a century, and I've heard good things about RRA, second hand. My AR10 (DPMS LR308-B) has an 18" bull bbl, and with scope, dot, and bi-pod, weighs about 12#. The recoil is very minimal, and the accuracy is phenomenal past 500 yards. I have to smile at the fitness divas who spend $50/mo to work out, but they can't seem to figure out how to carry an extra 5# around outdoors. Why, I carry more than that extra around my midsection.

The Kimber Montana bolt gun weighs 5# if you want to want to get a bit of kick from a 308.

I have a new fitness DVD coming out called "Rifle-Aerobics."
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Links