Should I Modify My Colt A2 Govt. Carbine?

Should I Modify My Colt A2 Govt. Carbine?

This is a discussion on Should I Modify My Colt A2 Govt. Carbine? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a medic friend who is a an FFL and gunsmith who just opened his new gun shop. He specializes in building AR-15's and ...

Thread: Should I Modify My Colt A2 Govt. Carbine?

Lead Moderator

Question Should I Modify My Colt A2 Govt. Carbine?

I have a medic friend who is a an FFL and gunsmith who just opened his new gun shop. He specializes in building AR-15's and has built several for about 3 or 4 LE agencies in the area.

I have a stock Colt A2 Govt. Carbine which has a non removable carry handle and standard 16 inch barrel. I have wanted a flat top upper for it for the longest time but also wanted to keep it all genuine Colt. However, a barreled Colt Flat Top upper is ridiculously expensive.

He told me he would put on a flat top upper on it for just the price of the upper receiver. Approx. $125.

He would swap my original Colt 16 inch barrel, bolt carrier group, charging handle, forward assist and do the head spacing free of charge and not charge me any labor. Total cost would be around $125 plus a $7 bushing kit from Brownell's because Colt used a larger diameter forward mounting pin on earlier models.

One thing is, if I go this route, I could definitely afford a decent light mount and optics for it.

Should I go for this deal or just deal with the non removable carry handle leaving everything original? I will still retain my original Colt upper to switch back if I ever wanted it in stock condition again.
    Last edited by Bark'n; April 12th, 2010 at 04:58 AM.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Go for it. You'll be happier in the long run. Keep the upper and they if you ever want to turn it back into the 100% Colt configuration you'll have the original upper receiver.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Keep all your old parts just in case you want to go back, thank your friend profusely and GO FOR IT! That's a great deal and you will still be able to return it to factory Colt condition whenever you want to.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Administrator
    As long as you are keeping all the original parts, whats the harm?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Bear in mind that what you have now is a semicollectible
    Colt worth $1000, what you end up with may be worth
    less.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Bear in mind that what you have now is a semicollectible
    Colt worth $1000, what you end up with may be worth
    less.
    Will the fact that I keep my original Colt upper and have the ability to change it all back to factory original hurt the value?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I would do it... you can revert it back without hurting the value.. the upper just swaps out by removing the two pins. You could build a lower for a little more over time and then put your flat top on the new lower.. reverting your original Colt back as a collector and having a nice tactical shooter. Guns are usually an investment if done right.

What you want is important

A stock colt early years large diameter front pin gun is worth "x", if you switch out the upper to flat top it will be worth a little less. Yes if you retain the original parts you can always take it back to "original" form but you will also have the added cost of having a gunsmith do the work again. A better option in my mind would be getting yourself a complete upper assembly ( non colts are not that pricey) and then if you ever sell that gun 2 pins and its back to original most valuable form and you still retain the upper assembly for future use. The modular nature of the AR-15 is why I love the platform so much.

I missed my main point

If having a flat top is something you have wanted to do for awhile but the cost has prohibited it and you will enjoy the gun more in the new configuration don't worry about the slight difference in value, jump on that smoking deal your buddy is giving you and get yourself a flat top.

Be it guns, cars, or motorcycles, even houses if you can build what you want and will enjoy it more in the long run, I say go for it.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Let me just add that if you intend to do much shooting ,
    there are some EXTREMELY well made flattop uppers
    which will do anything a Colt will do - at a LOWER Cost.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Administrator
    Well, if it's a "keeper" and you're not planning on ever selling it - then don't worry about its collector value or keeping it original...especially since you can always put it back to orig.

If it were mine I would take advantage of that kind offer and get my firearm done up the way I wanted it.

Lead Moderator
    Thanks guys... You just put things into perspective for me.

QKShooter... Oh yeah, it's a "keeper" alright! It's one of the few SHTF/EOTWAWKI guns that my Uncle doesn't know about.

Since I acquired it in a private trade about 15 years ago, I wasn't required to fill out an ATF Form 4473 on it.

I appreciate the input from all who responded.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

As long as you can go back to the original configuration easily, I don't see the harm. The only one who needs to be happy with the functionality is you. As long as it's going to work for you, I say do it. My personal inclination is to keep things stock on my firearms, but that's just me, and I don't begrudge people customizing their guns to their liking.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    As long as you can go back to the original configuration easily, I don't see the harm. The only one who needs to be happy with the functionality is you. As long as it's going to work for you, I say do it. My personal inclination is to keep things stock on my firearms, but that's just me, and I don't begrudge people customizing their guns to their liking.
    I tend to agree. Most of my weapons are stock with the exception of night sights and some Wolff replacement springs. However, with the AR platform, there's a whole lot you can do to make it more ergonomic and combat friendly if you just get that carry handle out of the way.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Don't do it. Instead, save a little more money and get a used upper to swap out.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links