Holographic Sights

This is a discussion on Holographic Sights within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems like quite a few people on here have a lot of knowledge about the EOTechs so I want to throw this question out ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Holographic Sights

It seems like quite a few people on here have a lot of knowledge about the EOTechs so I want to throw this question out there and sry if it doesn’t really go in line with the subject of this forum I’m still learning how the discussions on here work.
    I was told this by someone at a local gun shop a while back and have never been able to confirm or deny what he told me. From what he said EOTech's entire holographic sight is based on the theory of a 17" triangle which would represent an average shoulder span, and that with this the EOTech is set up so that within a certain distance (can’t recall what that distance is maybe 25/50 yards) if the lenses is on a target it will hit it? Has anyone else ever heard of this or can confirm that this is false?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The "standard" set up for the hologram on an EOTech is a 65 MOA (minute of angle) circle with a 1 MOA dot in the center. One MOA is roughly one inch at 100 yards, so at 50 yards the circle would encompass around 32.5 inches of the target, and at 25 yards it would encompass around 16 inches. I have no idea if the circle size was based on any particular "shoulder span" ratio, but these are the numbers.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

EOTech is a former client of my company dating back to the mid and late 90s as prior to acquisition by L3...And prior to as well as during the products adoption by the USMC (first adopter).

It's been some time since then but to that time frame I do not have a recollection of that item you state as being fact to the product.
    Further the EOTech reticle is not a triangle or chevron but rather a circle dot with appendages on the X and Y axis.

As to what you site though I am aware of that being fact toward the Trijicon 'Aimpoint' chevron (inverted V).

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    P'T,

I came across a thread moment ago at SIgForum that immediately made me think of you...

RRA "Tactical Carry Handle" purpose? - Topic Powered by Social Strata

Rock River Arms: RRA Tactical Carry Handle

- Janq
    That is an interesting setup. My rifle has the quick detach handle so mounting on carry handle may not be an option. Still researching and trying to decide which works the best. Ultimately the Mueller with BUIS as inexpensively as possible would suit my needs. No militia or military deployment in my future. Just want an inexpensive/dependable (oxymoron I know) setup for Holographic with BUIS.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Here's a pic that might help with any information on advising as to best setup.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ushmaster.html
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Me neither P'T

No military actions are in my future, I'm not a cop and I am developing a very strong allergic response to those who align them self with militias (We got guns..Now lets go show'em!) and other such revisionist rebel aligned what nottery.

I just want a long gun that I can hit bear, buck and turkey sized target areas as out to a functional 100 yd. range...At minute of compact disc or less accuracy.

I cannot imagine having need to target a man at such ranges, as under the guise of 'home defense', as many folks across the internets these days love to play & pretend to be a gotta have it now at any and all dollar costs priority need.

I think some folks watched 'Red Dawn' and/or 'Jericho' just one time too many.

- Jennings & Rall
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Very interesting thread. Just thought I'd give a thanks to everyone who put in their opinions. This is something I need to learn more about, and while most of this has gone a little over my head, the more I read, the more I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I cannot imagine having need to target a man at such ranges
    You won't be saying that when the Zombies come!!!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

Now that's funny.

ad utrumque paratus

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    Very interesting thread. Just thought I'd give a thanks to everyone who put in their opinions. This is something I need to learn more about, and while most of this has gone a little over my head, the more I read, the more I understand.

You won't be saying that when the Zombies come!!!
    Way over my head but it's helping me learn.

p.s. when the zombies come I thought it would be more machete and axe usage???

ad utrumque paratus

I just wanted to add another option to the "Mueller" (never heard of it before this thread, but I dont "know" alot about RDS either) I have no experience with this just found it while looking around.

Marstar Precision Optics 1x33mm Reflex Sight

I am wanting this "style" of RDS/holo for the view advantages but everywhere I have searched they are all typicaly junk. So......

What view advantages?

Alright I'm ready to order but I am torn between the Mueller and the Bushnell. The bushnell is made by eotech. Reviews call the bushnell an eotech lite. It's just a little over 200.
    Quick Shot™ 1×22×33*•*Mueller Optics

Bushnell 510023 All Riflescopes - Sports Optics

Will I have to remove my front sight to make either work?

ad utrumque paratus

Where are you guys finding reviews saying the mueller is decent and a source for eotech making the bushnell?

Tj,

EOTech did not make Bushnell product, they had licensed their patent to Bushnell back in the 90s when they first developed the technology. A technology that originally came by way of a tech incubator funding from the Univ. of Michigan.
    Bushnell first released the product under license of EOTech to the civilian market toward hunters for bows. It was then at that time an obscure product not well marketed nor known.

As to Mueller nobody stated as much nor posted any reviews.
    I though posted the image and link to that specific Mueller product as to show an example of a tubeless red dot sight...And I'd said that it is an exact same match in function & design to the Sig Sauer branded unit I have that came with my Sig 556 SCM carbine. I've got it mounted on my shotgun to a 1913/Picatinny rail for 40 yd. turkey hunting shots.

I do not believe that Mueller manufactures the unit...And I know Sig doesn't either. It's just a label affixed to it in ink. Who makes them? Probably China like most everything else these days.
    Beyond that though red dots of this type are very popular and though not something to run & gun with if you want to play GI Joe vs. Cobra (thats where you spend con on EOTech...Which was discussed prior), it is though for those on a budget and for those who have no interest nor need in spending hundreds of dollars on a non-magnified replacement for irons will work fine enough at short distances.

I hope that clears things up for you.

- Janq

P.S. - As I'd also stated prior EOtech is a former client of my company with whom we supported during their early .MIL/.GOV market development years. Additionally their partner ITT was then and remains a client of ours.
    As according to the market and over a decade now of hard use, the EOTech product is substantial and has been game changing.
    A white paper on the product including how it functions and it's corporate history can be found here as in the public domain; http://www.docstoc.com/docs/document...oc_id=25446626

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links