Holographic Sights

This is a discussion on Holographic Sights within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a dummy. I admit it. But I am thankful for the help of so many with more experience and knowledge. Talk me through ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Holographic Sights

Holographic Sights

I am a dummy. I admit it. But I am thankful for the help of so many with more experience and knowledge. Talk me through buying a holographic sight for an AR-15. Likes? Dislikes? Work well in daytime? Nighttime? I really can't afford anything over $300 and would like to spend less if possible. Any help appreciated...
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

2. Remove Ads

Holo and red dot sights are great.... until you forget them on and run the battery dead. Then you need to remove the dang things to use your regular sights.

When they work, the are real deal.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

I like them.

As current I have an EOTech 511 on my Sig 556 carbine (no irons sights as current) and a Sig branded red dot on my short barrel shotgun (tritium rifle sight).

Unlike the EOTech red dots are very inexpensive, very easy on batterie$!!!, are light weight and like an EOTech they too are generally reliable.

Call me frugal but I personally have no quarrel with a red dot as opposed to some of the much more spendy options out there that run as high as four figures.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    Holo and red dot sights are great.... until you forget them on and run the battery dead. Then you need to remove the dang things to use your regular sights.

Ehhh, not so much. Holographic sights, due to the nature of their "flat plane" design, are very easy to use with iron sights on an AR with a flat top. Using a flip-up rear sight, if the holo should ever fail, you can simply flip it up, look straight through the holo, and carry on. It's even possible to get a set up that directly co-witnesses the aiming point on the holo with the iron sights, though this isn't strictly necessary.

Secondly, many holos have very long battery lives, and also have "auto off" features that will power the unit down if it is left on without any sort of manipulation after a certain amount of time. The newest Aimpoints (not holosights, but very good optics) have a battery life measured in MONTHS of constant-on.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    The newest Aimpoints (not holosights, but very good optics) have a battery life measured in MONTHS of constant-on.
    I believe the Aimpoint CompM4 can run continuously for 8-10 YEARS of constant-on before draining a single AA.

OP - for your price range, I'd look into the Bushnell Holosight or one of their Trophy series red-dot sights. The battery life leaves a bit to be desired, but they're good sights if you keep a couple of spare batteries around.

If you can stretch your budget by another hundred or two, you can pick up an EOTech or mid-range Aimpoint, like the CompM2 or M3.

The mini red-dot sights, like the Dr. Optic are also a good choice and are very small and lightweight. Just beware the battery life.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post

My H1 has been on since July. I will change the battery in September 2011. If something were to go wrong I would simply lower my cheekweld by about 1/8" to utilize my fixed BUIS.

The advantages of a good optic far outweigh any disadvantages, especially when it comes to fast accurate shooting in less than ideal conditions.

Some Eotechs have some trouble with the battery boxes, but I think those are mainly really rough use guns they fail on. I've owned two and had decent luck with them.

My next sight will be an Aimpoint T-1, though. Just too light, durable and easy on batteries to ignore.

And +1000 to the BUIS thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    OP - for your price range, I'd look into the Bushnell Holosight or one of their Trophy series red-dot sights. The battery life leaves a bit to be desired, but they're good sights if you keep a couple of spare batteries around.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bushnell Holosight is made by EOTech! I've heard great things of the Bushnell for those on a budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    The mini red-dot sights, like the Dr. Optic are also a good choice and are very small and lightweight. Just beware the battery life.
    One thing I've seen people do is mount a traditional tube scope to the flat top upper on their AR and then mount one of the Dr. Optic mini red-dot on the side at a 45 degree angle.

You get long range traditional scope and the mini red-dot for close in CQB with just a slight head tilt.

(I wish I had saved a picture of that set up to my computer to post for you.)

(Edit) Okay, found an example. Not the picture I wanted but here's an example of mini red-dot mounted on a traditional optical scope

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsor
    The serious AR guys will tell you "It's Aimpont or Trijicon Acog or nothing!" I'm not 100% sure what the ish is with Eotech but they are down played on quality or reliability for some reason.(I have no experience what so ever with them)
    I put a $50.00 reflex holo on my m4 just to have something(along with MBUS from Magpul). It is well worth the saw buck I paid but I can tell that it will not stand up to any serious use. It's good enough to make me realize that I want the real deal. I will replace it with an Aimpoint Comp M2/M68 when I save up the dinero.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

My understanding with the holographic sight is that no matter the angle, once the sight is on target it is ready to shoot. Is this correct? Also although I realize there are many premium holo's out there is there a good dependable sight in the $200-$300 range. Would it not be better to mount the holo on the carry handle thereby leaving the BUIS readily accessible? Thoughts?
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

P'T,

What you are referring to is the effect of parallax.

Holographic sights (EOTech) are parallax free as by the nature of their design using a prism to create a hologram into the view finder. Thus the greatly increased cost.

While red dots are not all this way and you have to be sure to pay attention to the specifications statement to see if it is, up to a max. distance (that is not infinity).
    If it is not parallax adjusted then there will be no statement what so ever about parallax.

Parallax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol - Facts and Figures About Dot Sights

The Sig branded red dot that came OEM with my model 556 and is currently doing duty on my shotgun (for turkey @ 40 yds. & deer @ 100 yds.) is the following as branded by Mueller who I also doubt is the manufacturer:

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MQS12233MB.html

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bushnell Holosight is made by EOTech! I've heard great things of the Bushnell for those on a budget.

One thing I've seen people do is mount a traditional tube scope to the flat top upper on their AR and then mount one of the Dr. Optic mini red-dot on the side at a 45 degree angle.

You get long range traditional scope and the mini red-dot for close in CQB with just a slight head tilt.

(I wish I had saved a picture of that set up to my computer to post for you.)

(Edit) Okay, found an example. Not the picture I wanted but here's an example of mini red-dot mounted on a traditional optical scope

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/Barkn_2008/B-CompColl.jpg[/ IMG]
    This what you were looking for?

They are know as 1:00 offset mounts. A small correction, you rotate the gun to utilize them, not your head.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    The serious AR guys will tell you "It's Aimpont or Trijicon Acog or nothing!" I'm not 100% sure what the ish is with Eotech but they are down played on quality or reliability for some reason.(I have no experience what so ever with them)
    I put a $50.00 reflex holo on my m4 just to have something(along with MBUS from Magpul). It is well worth the saw buck I paid but I can tell that it will not stand up to any serious use. It's good enough to make me realize that I want the real deal. I will replace it with an Aimpoint Comp M2/M68 when I save up the dinero.
    The issues with EOtechs include, falling off the gun, losing zero, battery contacts going bad, causing the sight to turn on and off during recoil, and going dead while even though turned off.

The XPS appears to have fixed most if not all of the issues.

IMO, EOtechs are a poor choice for HD use. The poor battery life means they can't be left on, so one would have to utilize their BUIS or take critical time they don't have to turn it on. Aimpoints can be left on for years at a time, always ready to go.

VIP Member
    Having carried an EOTech for more than two years in combat, I never experienced any of these issues. That said, I know that they CAN happen, just as any mechanical device can fail. The EOTech, as far as I know, is still approved for military use, and is standard issue for MANY police departments/agencies.

As stated before, the EOTech (mine, at least) has an auto-off feature. You can't leave it on until the battery runs out. Yes, the newer extreme-long-battery life red dots would be faster than turning on the EOTech, but if you are that pressed for time and can't take the half second it takes to turn the EOTech on, you still have your iron sights right there.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    A true holographic sight (like the EOTech) is not the same as a "Red Dot" type optical sight.
    They are two completely different animals.
    You will not get any EOTech Holographic for $300. or less.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links