My new Defense rifle

This is a discussion on My new Defense rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bought me a used Marlin Camp 9 9mm with 15rd magazines. I added a Choate folding stock that is 35" long extended and 26.5 inches ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new Defense rifle

My new Defense rifle

Bought me a used Marlin Camp 9 9mm with 15rd magazines. I added a Choate folding stock that is 35" long extended and 26.5 inches folded. Right size for a defense rifle. 9mm a lot less liable to penetrate walls and keep going. At in house distances its perfect. I hope the attached pictures come thru. Going to put me a red dot on it soon.

fknipfer1
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Ugh. Please, someone stop the "9mm a lot less liable to penetrate walls and keep going" b.s.

Frankly, pistol rounds penetrate worse, in many cases than 5.56mm rifle rounds.

Read through some of this:

The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration testing

Well, that'll get the job done. Good pics!

I also agree regarding 5.56mm rifle rounds. Take a tactical carbine class and you'll understand why. +1 for Hornady TAP 5.56 rounds! I have a hundred of 'em for my AR-15.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    I have owned a Camp 9 for years and I am a big fan of pistol caliber carbines if for nothing else the prue pleasure of plinking with them. And they do make good HD weapons too. I also own a Kel tec Sub 2000 and Hi Point 995. One thing to remember with a used Camp 9. They have a factory installed bolt buffer than needs replacing every 2000 rounds or so or after a couple years because it will deteriorate and be problematic. The buffer is located in the back of the receiver and keeps the steel bolt from smacking the aluminum receiver. With a lot of shooting or over time they can wear out or get brittle. A couple companies make great replacement bolt buffers. I would order a couple right away and replace the one in the rifle since its used.

The Camp rifle (9mm and .45) can be a bit tricky to disassemble so if a manual did not come with your rifle you may want to go to the Marlin site and download it.

Some good info here
    http://www.notpurfect.com/main/campgun9.htm

BJB MARLIN CAMP-45/9mm Recoil~Buffer [115 / BJB CMP45/9] : BlackJack Buffers LLC

When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Pirate,
    how do you like your Kel-Tec Sub 2000? It seems like a great value!

They are all good looking guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cinsc View Post
    Pirate,
    how do you like your Kel-Tec Sub 2000? It seems like a great value!

I have had the model that uses beretta 92 mags for about 6 years and its one of my favorite plinkers and makes a good HD option if you want to use it for that purpose. CDNN had the Glock mag models going for $299 plus shipping a while back.

One of my favorite toys to play with

S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I've shot the Marlin Cemp 9 before and I love shooting it, but the SUB-2000 makes better sense for me as it uses the Magazines from my Glock 17.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I have had the model that uses beretta 92 mags for about 6 years and its one of my favorite plinkers and makes a good HD option if you want to use it for that purpose. CDNN had the Glock mag models going for $299 plus shipping a while back.

One of my favorite toys to play with

The front sight on your looks different than the one on my SUB-2000, is that after-market or a older factory version. My SUB-2000 is only 6 months old.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Senior Moderator
    Nice
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    The front sight on your looks different than the one on my SUB-2000, is that after-market or a older factory version. My SUB-2000 is only 6 months old.
    It was made by a company call Blue Force which makes mainly AR parts. They no longer make the replacement aluminum Sub 2000 sight. It adjusts for elevation like an AR front sight and is (was) a major improvement over the OEM plastic sights which are one of the weaker points of the KT S2K.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    +1 on the wall-penetration myths.

I've put plenty of .22 LR rounds (as well as .410 birdshot, .45 ACP, buckshot, slugs, you name it) through sheetrock walls (don't ask) and unless you happen to hit the 2x4 studs, almost any bullet will pass right on through sheetrock. If you get lucky, the kitchen cabinet full of dishes or bookcase full of books) may stop the 9mm bullet.

So, unless you build you home with cinderblock interior walls, just about any and every caliber rounds will pass from one room to the next.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have a Hi-point 9mm carbine, and love plinking with it. As reliable and accurate as it is I'm quite sure it would be useful for other things, if needed. Nice pic's!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

gtv
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnow View Post
    I have a Hi-point 9mm carbine, and love plinking with it. As reliable and accurate as it is I'm quite sure it would be useful for other things, if needed. Nice pic's!
    +1

I love my 995, and would not hesitate to use it in home defense mode, especially as it is the only weapon I have that is equipped with a laser. The only drawback is the ten-round magazine... but that is why I have five magazines.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

I think that, considering our city and suburban scenarios, accuracy at 100 yards could and would be more than good enough for most rifles, with enough stopping power and not much bullet drop. I am still trying to decide which rifle, with a scope, to buy; never having owned such a weapon before. I figure that everybody ought to have at least one such long-range scoped rifle. I keep reading and scanning and trying to decide, taking my time. Oh, the scope ought not to be too fragile or sensitive, just powerful enough to get on target, and do good if you have to take it into the woods.

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    Congratd
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links