Lever Action .357 for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Lever Action .357 for Home Defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Brady, check out the Kel Tec Sub 2000. It fits what you describe. Kel Tec...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lever Action .357 for Home Defense

Brady,

check out the Kel Tec Sub 2000. It fits what you describe. Kel Tec
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

2. Remove Ads

I also figured out that my Bianchi speed strips loaded with SD .357 Magnum rounds for my handgun will also handily feed right into the lever rifle loading port. Loads pretty easy actually. Another benefit to having the same caliber...two speed strips handy will work in either weapon.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Gun tests did an article on this once. The .357 Mag ballistics from a carbine Bbl are pretty impressive. If I remember right they got about 1800 FPS with full bore 125 Gr JHP. The Lever is a great HD/SD weapon.

This was my choice to set my daughter up for future self defense. I dont think I could make a better statement as to my opinion of the effectiveness of this set up other than that.

I bought her a Stainless Ruger Security Six 357mag revolver and a Winchester 94AE trapper carbine with the 16" barrel (36" overall).

She is being raised on lever actions and revolvers, (and one bolt action) so by the time she is ready to leave the nest, she will be well versed in their use.

I have shot the little trapper with open sights at 100yds and it will print a nice group at that range. Not much energy past that, but for HD SD work it'll do the job.

With 38 spl loads it has hardly any noticible recoil. With .357 mag it recoils about like birdshot in a 20ga single shot. Not bad at all.

I also have a 94 trapper in 30-30 and I love it too. However, being so small and light, in 30-30 it kicks like a 30-06.

I think next I will buy a Henry in .357.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Ya know, you're gonna get better ballistic performance coming out of that 18 inch barrel so that's a big plus right there.
    My Marlin Cowboy 1894CB .357 is a 24 inch barrel. Yes, they made a 20" and a 24" inch version.

I wouldn't use mine for that very fact. I'll rely on the handgun and maybe the shotgun, dont' need anything else.

My next gun project is to get another 1894C and set it up for HD. Not a fast reloading tacticool wonder, but they are handy, hard-hitting, and pretty PC if you are concerned about lawyer issues with a semi-auto (or can't have one).
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I purchased a Winchester 94 in .357 after Katrina. I had pistols, but figured I should have something with longer reach in case of civil unrest and looters.

I think it is a terrific choice and a good companion for your handguns.
    Wisdom of the Older Gunner:
    To carry a firearm and not have to use it is a blessing
    To not carry a firearm and need one is avoidable and sometimes fatal stupidity

Does that shotgun have a butt-stock? (The filter o doom here won't let me click on the pic...)

If it doesn't, I'd choose the lever action as your primary. It's surprisingly hard to manipulate and hit something from 15 feet away with a shotgun without the butt-stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Does that shotgun have a butt-stock? (The filter o doom here won't let me click on the pic...)

If it doesn't, I'd choose the lever action as your primary. It's surprisingly hard to manipulate and hit something from 15 feet away with a shotgun without the butt-stock.
    The shotty just has a pistol grip for now, but it also came with a long stock. I'm going to get a folding adjustable stock with pistol grip so I can have the compactness for storage and quick long stock for better control.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While the lever action wouldn't be my first choice, it wouldn't be my last either. Anything is better than nothing for HD. I could crank out rounds pretty quick with my Marlin 30-30, as a few venison steaks would attest to!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Another option is a slide action carbine/rifle such as by Remington (.223) rifle and Uberti pistol caliber carbine.

Slide action is even faster than lever.

Uberti 1875 Lightning Rifle

Pump Action Centerfire - Model 7600 Centerfire Rifle - Remington Pump Action Centerfire Rifle

- Janq
    snakyjake likes this.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    ... My 44mag Winchester Trapper, 16" barrel, is the shortest long gun I own. It's almost 3" shorter than my Stoeger Coachgun. It's my HD long gun. It'll stop a 200lb feral hog, I think it'll stop a BG.
    Col. Cooper referred to a students Winchester trapper as a "Brooklyn Carbine."
    I have 3, I love the "trappers"
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

An excellent choice for folks who cannot deal with the recoil of a shotgun!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I have the 1894C myself. My thoughts...

-Good for HD but not with stock sights unless you're going to point shoot and I don't recommend that, although with the way my 1894C comes to the shoulder, you could. For real HD an XS big dot front sight would be PERFECT.

-I would load it with .38+ p's. No recoil and very effective out of that barrel and at that range. .357's out of that gun do kick (nominally) and are loud and are probably over kill).

-Light source is a problem. I've never seen a decent light setup that anyone would really want to mount to such a beautiful rifle. I've read threads and people suggested duck tape and metal banding, etc. Personally I think that's all ****** in my opinion

I messed around with holding a light in my hand and it's doable if you practice but working the lever action is a very deliberate move and having a light in your weak hand isn't a great idea. I belive it would be easy to drop it in the heat of the moment.

-As for jamming, any gun will and yes the 1894C trends to be picky but if you shoot it a lot so it's slicked up and work it with your chosen ammo, you'll be good. Winchester White Box jacketed soft points feed GREAT in mine and I believe they're a great SD round out of a Marlin.

I still think a good handgun and light is best but the Marlin is a LOT easier to handle for the average Joe compared to my remington 870 express loaded with 00.

If someone would make a commercial barrel light clamp that wouldn't do to much damage to your barrel and mag tube then I can really see the possibilities, but until then, I think there are better choices.

God Bless
    Gideon

If I were going that route, I would grab the AR that's sitting right next to my Marlin lever action. But, I'ld grab the double barrel... sitting next to it.

One thing to consider.... if it's night time, a handgun allows you to open doors, hold a flashlight, etc. with the other hand and still shoot rapidly. The same applies to my 20" double barrel shotgun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links