Defensive Carry banner

Lever Action .357 for Home Defense

19K views 35 replies 27 participants last post by  Hkchris 
#1 ·
I've got a Marlin 1894C Lever Action .357 Magnum Carbine that I bought for small to mid-size game hunting and plinking. I've been thinking about it and I think it would make a decent HD long gun as well. At 6 lbs OAW and an 18.5" bbl and 10 round capacity of .357 Magnum or 12 round capacity of .38 +P, I think it would do the job pretty well. You can load on the fly and use the same rounds in your handgun or rifle. I did buy a Mossberg 12 ga pump shotgun for HD using Remington Magnum 3" 00 buck rounds. The last fall back would be the Ruger SP101 .357 mag I CC. If a situation were to arise, I'd grab the shotty first, retreat to the rifle, and have the handgun as the last line of defense. In any event, I thought this was a pretty neat combo for HD and thought I would share the idea of a pistol chambered lever action for HD. Pics below.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work out for ya!

Ya know, you're gonna get better ballistic performance coming out of that 18 inch barrel so that's a big plus right there.

I would just get lots of range time in with it being used in the self defense role so you comfortable with the lever action in a high stress situation.

#20 ·
Ya know, you're gonna get better ballistic performance coming out of that 18 inch barrel so that's a big plus right there.
My Marlin Cowboy 1894CB .357 is a 24 inch barrel. Yes, they made a 20" and a 24" inch version.

I wouldn't use mine for that very fact. I'll rely on the handgun and maybe the shotgun, dont' need anything else.

#3 ·
A cowboy action shooter I know has a Marlin 1894 in 38/357 and is now experiencing what is called the "Marlin Jam." He is getting double feeds and other jams when cycling the action. It appears that his rifle has become very specific as to which ammo it will digest without problems.

OMO

bosco

#4 ·
AWww MAN!! I really do like those lever action .357's. Marlin, Rossie etc.

Marlin is kinda pricey...but a nice firearm smoother action than the Rossie. I also like the Rossie model, bit more affordable and...to me, it has a better balance to it. SHot both...really like either one.

I'll probly get one before I get any other firearm.......maybe...I don't know wich firearm I'll get next dangit.

I doo have alot of .357 from when I had that Taurus 605, that I gave to my father.

#5 ·
I think the lever gun is a fantastic HD weapon. :hand10:

#9 ·
barrel mount.

This thread describes why I want a carbine in 40S&W so-o-o-o bad. What would be really cool would be a pistol-carbine combo that uses the same mags. Rugers, Glocks, Berettas...

#11 ·
Agreed.

Shorter OAL than a shotgun (18.5" or greater) and available in all manner of power levels from .38 to .357 Mag among production ammo and projectile types.

IMHO these would make excellent HD guns, and so thought our predecessors for nearly 80 yrs. as prior to the AR15 and other more modern small/intermediate caliber carbines.

Yes working the lever action requires some practice to master, but so does working a slide/pump action. It's a skill. And it ain't hard to learn.

As felt recoil will be light out of a carbine even for .357 Mag.
There are receiver mounted pic/1913 rails sold for the Marlin that allows mounting of red dots and/or illumination sources to increase HD application use.

Best of all the firearm system is very intuitive...I'd say even more so than a slide/pump action for newbies. No questions about which way to close the action as it's completely obvious when the action is not 'right' even if the person knows absolutely nothing about firearms in general.

Also they are relatively light in weight which again means just about anybody can wield one and be successful in it's use at short HD type distances (30') as long as they make some concerted effort to aim and align the bore to the threat.

As to jamming such as the cowboy action shooter noted I would ask how many rounds and cycles has that specific gun gone through as either new out the box (most everything requires break in) or as has been used in competition events and has been tweaked and/or not undergone an overhaul considering metal parts do wear down and even out with hard use.

- Janq

#13 ·
Yep Bosco I'm familiar with the net reports as well.

In his case then the sensible and logical decision would be and have been to send it back to Marlin for a warranty review and repair.

- Janq

#14 ·
Leverguns make great HD weapons. I think I remember M. Ayoob recommending a levergun as an alternative where handgun ownership was banned a few years ago... My 44mag Winchester Trapper, 16" barrel, is the shortest long gun I own. It's almost 3" shorter than my Stoeger Coachgun. It's my HD long gun. It'll stop a 200lb feral hog, I think it'll stop a BG.

#27 ·
... My 44mag Winchester Trapper, 16" barrel, is the shortest long gun I own. It's almost 3" shorter than my Stoeger Coachgun. It's my HD long gun. It'll stop a 200lb feral hog, I think it'll stop a BG.
Col. Cooper referred to a students Winchester trapper as a "Brooklyn Carbine." :wink:
I have 3, I love the "trappers"

#15 · (Edited)
Nice choice, BigDude...gotta' love the lever actions.:yup:

I have a Marlin 336SS, a 30-30 in stainless...a great HD weapon (a perimeter gun:rolleyes:), IMHO

#16 ·
Brady,

check out the Kel Tec Sub 2000. It fits what you describe. Kel Tec

#17 ·
I also figured out that my Bianchi speed strips loaded with SD .357 Magnum rounds for my handgun will also handily feed right into the lever rifle loading port. Loads pretty easy actually. Another benefit to having the same caliber...two speed strips handy will work in either weapon.

#19 ·
This was my choice to set my daughter up for future self defense. I dont think I could make a better statement as to my opinion of the effectiveness of this set up other than that.

I bought her a Stainless Ruger Security Six 357mag revolver and a Winchester 94AE trapper carbine with the 16" barrel (36" overall).

She is being raised on lever actions and revolvers, (and one bolt action) so by the time she is ready to leave the nest, she will be well versed in their use.

I have shot the little trapper with open sights at 100yds and it will print a nice group at that range. Not much energy past that, but for HD SD work it'll do the job.

With 38 spl loads it has hardly any noticible recoil. With .357 mag it recoils about like birdshot in a 20ga single shot. Not bad at all.

I also have a 94 trapper in 30-30 and I love it too. However, being so small and light, in 30-30 it kicks like a 30-06.

I think next I will buy a Henry in .357.

#21 ·
My next gun project is to get another 1894C and set it up for HD. Not a fast reloading tacticool wonder, but they are handy, hard-hitting, and pretty PC if you are concerned about lawyer issues with a semi-auto (or can't have one).

#22 ·
I purchased a Winchester 94 in .357 after Katrina. I had pistols, but figured I should have something with longer reach in case of civil unrest and looters.

I think it is a terrific choice and a good companion for your handguns.

#23 ·
Does that shotgun have a butt-stock? (The filter o doom here won't let me click on the pic...)

If it doesn't, I'd choose the lever action as your primary. It's surprisingly hard to manipulate and hit something from 15 feet away with a shotgun without the butt-stock.

#24 ·
The shotty just has a pistol grip for now, but it also came with a long stock. I'm going to get a folding adjustable stock with pistol grip so I can have the compactness for storage and quick long stock for better control.

#25 ·
While the lever action wouldn't be my first choice, it wouldn't be my last either. Anything is better than nothing for HD. I could crank out rounds pretty quick with my Marlin 30-30, as a few venison steaks would attest to!

#26 ·
#29 ·
I have the 1894C myself. My thoughts...

-Good for HD but not with stock sights unless you're going to point shoot and I don't recommend that, although with the way my 1894C comes to the shoulder, you could. For real HD an XS big dot front sight would be PERFECT.

-I would load it with .38+ p's. No recoil and very effective out of that barrel and at that range. .357's out of that gun do kick (nominally) and are loud and are probably over kill).

-Light source is a problem. I've never seen a decent light setup that anyone would really want to mount to such a beautiful rifle. I've read threads and people suggested duck tape and metal banding, etc. Personally I think that's all ****** in my opinion :redface:

I messed around with holding a light in my hand and it's doable if you practice but working the lever action is a very deliberate move and having a light in your weak hand isn't a great idea. I belive it would be easy to drop it in the heat of the moment.

-As for jamming, any gun will and yes the 1894C trends to be picky but if you shoot it a lot so it's slicked up and work it with your chosen ammo, you'll be good. Winchester White Box jacketed soft points feed GREAT in mine and I believe they're a great SD round out of a Marlin.

I still think a good handgun and light is best but the Marlin is a LOT easier to handle for the average Joe compared to my remington 870 express loaded with 00.

If someone would make a commercial barrel light clamp that wouldn't do to much damage to your barrel and mag tube then I can really see the possibilities, but until then, I think there are better choices.

God Bless
Gideon

#30 ·
If I were going that route, I would grab the AR that's sitting right next to my Marlin lever action. But, I'ld grab the double barrel... sitting next to it.

One thing to consider.... if it's night time, a handgun allows you to open doors, hold a flashlight, etc. with the other hand and still shoot rapidly. The same applies to my 20" double barrel shotgun.

#31 ·
Gideon,

The solutions you desire have been existent...

XS Lever Rail for Marlin® 1895's & 336

XS Lever Scout Mount

XS Sight Systems - Scope Mounts

Mount the rail and to the rail mount a tac light.
Either push button clicky or tape switch remote to the foregrip.

Also agreed .38 +P defensive ammo would do the trick nicely.
Knowing me I'd probably run with Corbon DPX as I have for my handguns.

- Janq

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.