Lever Action .357 for Home Defense

This is a discussion on Lever Action .357 for Home Defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a Marlin 1894C Lever Action .357 Magnum Carbine that I bought for small to mid-size game hunting and plinking. I've been thinking about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lever Action .357 for Home Defense

Lever Action .357 for Home Defense

I've got a Marlin 1894C Lever Action .357 Magnum Carbine that I bought for small to mid-size game hunting and plinking. I've been thinking about it and I think it would make a decent HD long gun as well. At 6 lbs OAW and an 18.5" bbl and 10 round capacity of .357 Magnum or 12 round capacity of .38 +P, I think it would do the job pretty well. You can load on the fly and use the same rounds in your handgun or rifle. I did buy a Mossberg 12 ga pump shotgun for HD using Remington Magnum 3" 00 buck rounds. The last fall back would be the Ruger SP101 .357 mag I CC. If a situation were to arise, I'd grab the shotty first, retreat to the rifle, and have the handgun as the last line of defense. In any event, I thought this was a pretty neat combo for HD and thought I would share the idea of a pistol chambered lever action for HD. Pics below.
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work out for ya!

Ya know, you're gonna get better ballistic performance coming out of that 18 inch barrel so that's a big plus right there.

I would just get lots of range time in with it being used in the self defense role so you comfortable with the lever action in a high stress situation.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

A cowboy action shooter I know has a Marlin 1894 in 38/357 and is now experiencing what is called the "Marlin Jam." He is getting double feeds and other jams when cycling the action. It appears that his rifle has become very specific as to which ammo it will digest without problems.

OMO

bosco

AWww MAN!! I really do like those lever action .357's. Marlin, Rossie etc.

Marlin is kinda pricey...but a nice firearm smoother action than the Rossie. I also like the Rossie model, bit more affordable and...to me, it has a better balance to it. SHot both...really like either one.

I'll probly get one before I get any other firearm.......maybe...I don't know wich firearm I'll get next dangit.

I doo have alot of .357 from when I had that Taurus 605, that I gave to my father.

I think the lever gun is a fantastic HD weapon.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I've got the Winchester Trapper in .44mag. Same thought as to HD. It sits right next to my shotty. I'll grab either in a crunch.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Hmmm.....44mag is a good thought too. Both to calibers to me a sweet for HD.

Haven't shot the 44mag before...nor the 30.30. Hmmm

Assuming you don't leave lights on in the house, how are you going to mount a light to it for target ID?

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    barrel mount.

This thread describes why I want a carbine in 40S&W so-o-o-o bad. What would be really cool would be a pistol-carbine combo that uses the same mags. Rugers, Glocks, Berettas...
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Senior Moderator
    I think a .357 mag lever gun would be very handy for home defense
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I think a .357 mag lever gun would be very handy for home defense
    Agreed.

Shorter OAL than a shotgun (18.5" or greater) and available in all manner of power levels from .38 to .357 Mag among production ammo and projectile types.

IMHO these would make excellent HD guns, and so thought our predecessors for nearly 80 yrs. as prior to the AR15 and other more modern small/intermediate caliber carbines.

Yes working the lever action requires some practice to master, but so does working a slide/pump action. It's a skill. And it ain't hard to learn.

As felt recoil will be light out of a carbine even for .357 Mag.
    There are receiver mounted pic/1913 rails sold for the Marlin that allows mounting of red dots and/or illumination sources to increase HD application use.

Best of all the firearm system is very intuitive...I'd say even more so than a slide/pump action for newbies. No questions about which way to close the action as it's completely obvious when the action is not 'right' even if the person knows absolutely nothing about firearms in general.

Also they are relatively light in weight which again means just about anybody can wield one and be successful in it's use at short HD type distances (30') as long as they make some concerted effort to aim and align the bore to the threat.

As to jamming such as the cowboy action shooter noted I would ask how many rounds and cycles has that specific gun gone through as either new out the box (most everything requires break in) or as has been used in competition events and has been tweaked and/or not undergone an overhaul considering metal parts do wear down and even out with hard use.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed.

As to jamming such as the cowboy action shooter noted I would ask how many rounds and cycles has that specific gun gone through as either new out the box (most everything requires break in) or as has been used in competition events and has been tweaked and/or not undergone an overhaul considering metal parts do wear down and even out with hard use.

- Janq
    He bought his NIB and has done nothing to it. Probably no more than 300 rounds (cowboy ammo) through it.

I did a google search (MARLIN JAM) and was surprised at the results.

bosco

Yep Bosco I'm familiar with the net reports as well.

In his case then the sensible and logical decision would be and have been to send it back to Marlin for a warranty review and repair.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Leverguns make great HD weapons. I think I remember M. Ayoob recommending a levergun as an alternative where handgun ownership was banned a few years ago... My 44mag Winchester Trapper, 16" barrel, is the shortest long gun I own. It's almost 3" shorter than my Stoeger Coachgun. It's my HD long gun. It'll stop a 200lb feral hog, I think it'll stop a BG.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Nice choice, BigDude...gotta' love the lever actions.

I have a Marlin 336SS, a 30-30 in stainless...a great HD weapon (a perimeter gun), IMHO
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 15th, 2010 at 06:31 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links