M1A "Bush" rifle??

M1A "Bush" rifle??

This is a discussion on M1A "Bush" rifle?? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Folks: I got to the gun show just before it closed for the night, (but it will open again tomorrow morning ). I have been ...

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

M1A "Bush" rifle??

Folks:

I got to the gun show just before it closed for the night, (but it will open again tomorrow morning ). I have been considering an M1A Scout Squad. I did see what the gentleman called an M1A "Bush" rifle. I did notice that it had a flash supressor rather than a muzzle break.

So, 2 questions: What, if any, are the other differences between the Bush and Scout Squad; the asking price was $1550--reasonable??

Thanks,

Scott
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Thats about the price I see on Gallery of guns and Buds gun shop for the scout squad rifle. So I would say it is reasonable.

That's an avg. price....theyr'e going for 12-16 hundred here.

Sounds like a Scout Squad to me too. And yea.. about 1500 seems to be todays prices for it. They have steadily gone up in the last couple years. Good investments I think for that reason.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I have the squad and a regular M1A. If your looking for a multipupose rifle the squad is an awsome option, you will not be dissapointed.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

South Florida, a Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
    If it really is an SA M1A "Bush", the price is a little high. The "Bush" rifle is a discontinued Standard with an 18.5" barrel, standard flash suppressor and (usually) a synthetic stock. It's just a lighter weight, more compact, more manuverable...and louder M1A .

If it really is a "Bush", then it is not a "Scout Squad". The "Scout Squad" has a Picatinny rail over the chamber as well as a muzzle brake instead of the standard flash suppressor.

I bought a brand new SA Standard/Synthetic last year and had SA replace the 22" barrel with one their 18.5" barrels then re-install and index the original flash suppressor.

The "Bush" is a great, no frills rifle...

Last edited by EXHSLD; April 18th, 2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: SP

yeah-it WAS a Bush gun--but-went back to the gun show and it was G. O. N. E.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

South Florida, a Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
    That's a shame Scott, the "Bush" really does handle much better than the full sized M1A, with no loss in practical accuracy.

Though I got my SA Standard (Bush was already discontinued)/Synthetic from an LE Distributor, under an SA LE Program, and consequently downright cheap , I believe SA had/has a similar program for our Military, which might extend to Retired Military, though not to former . They were generous enough to extend the LE price to me and I'm retired. Check with SA, might be worth a try.

You might then do what I did and send the new Standard M1A to SA for the 18.5" "Bush" barrel change. With the new correct height front sight, Mil-Spec headspacing, installation and indexing of your original flash suppressor it cost $281OTD, and they returned the original 22" barrel.

I've got about a hundred bucks less in my brand new "Bush" rifle than what the asking price was for the one you saw. And I have the, still brand new, original 22" barrel I'll probably sell for a hundred + bucks.

I know full well there aren't many major gun distributors out there in God's country, but it might just be worth a try if the "Bush" rifle is to your liking.

Best of luck...

EXHSLD:

Thanks for the heads up!!! The M1A "Scout Squad" (or maybe what you did) is (probably) next on my agenda.

We have a gentleman in our church withering away from ALS and he is selling most of his guns. I don't really want another full-size 1911, but I may buy it, just to help he and his wife out, so the M1A may move down the list some......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

- Ronald Reagan

Links