Coach Guns - Page 2

Coach Guns

This is a discussion on Coach Guns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by cammo girl Why get a hd shotgun with a two shell capacity? Just wondering, is there other compelling things about the Coach ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coach Guns

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Why get a hd shotgun with a two shell capacity? Just wondering, is there other compelling things about the Coach gun other than maneuverability and small size?

Not being argumentative, just trying to learn here.

Thanks.
    Granted, it's not a pump, but before the first two dirtbags coming through the door, hit the ground...I can have two more in the pipes. It's why I had the gun 'reworked'. I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

How real is the idea of internal hammer spring being stored under pressure? Would being stored cocked and locked truly ruin the springs to the point they may not work?

Distinguished Member
    Thanks.

Maybe you could just replace springs periodically.

JCook,

That was exactly my own view toward a break action shotgun, and remains so.
    I've yet to read of any specifically HD situation where an extended shoot out went on, with exception of that incident in AZ where the whole family was shot up by drug runners from Mexico.

Those folks lived along in the middle of the desert though AND the conditions of their situation very much lead to view of the husband having been involved in criminal activity. Regardless a shotgun is not what they need but rather a battery of carbines.

Beyond that every other incident I've ever read or seen video of that is shotgun use relevant has involved just one shot with two being the most.
    With training and practice reloading a break action is fast as any SASS shooter will report. And best of all it's caveman simple...Much more so than fumbling with the lifter on a Remington to avoid lifter bite.
    While the Mossberg elevator system is crazy strong and durable there is with both systems common potential of short stroking as you noted, and by that ejection jams/fouling too.

Also you have to remember/know to cycle the action too upon firing shot one.
    With just two shots counted a break action will beat most folks with a pump gun all day long. There is no action to cycle and by that no delay.

Cowboy Action Shooting Tips & Techniques : How to Shoot a Double Barrel Shotgun in Cowboy Action Shooting
    YouTube - Cowboy Action Shooting Tips & Techniques : How to Shoot a Double Barrel Shotgun in Cowboy Action Shooting

This though is not a conventional thought for HD shotguns though so of course consider YMMV.
    I'm still thinking to go this route for storage as a second shotgun in my basement where I keep my office, XBox, and a handgun locked with spare mags and ammo at the side of my desk.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'd vote to keep the pump due to capacity, for HD situations where it's size and weight isn't a problem, but get the Coach Gun for back-up and for traveling, because the Coach Gun is so much smaller and takes-down in just a couple of seconds to no longer than 20".

For myself, I rely primarily on a Mossberg 590 (20" barrel with 9-rnd capacity) for home and RV defense, with my 500 Persuader (18.5" barrel with 6-round capacity) as a back up, and my Coach Gun as an additional option at hand.

But when I travel, the Coach Gun comes along as my primary shotgun, because it is so well-suited to easy and discreet transport in take-down mode. Easily stows under a car seat, packs in a small suitcase, backpack, or small zippered soft case (which does not look like a gun case!)

I like Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme models as they are well made, reliable, durable, come in a variety of models, are quite common to find, and have a padded butt stock. I would choose only a two-trigger model for reliability. The single trigger models are known to have reliability issues. I'm not a fan of external hammers; I prefer the sleeker design of internal hammers.

For size comparison to full size pumps:

And here's the Coach Gun in it's various conditions:

The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

VIP Member
    I got a Stoeger Coach gun for the same reason JCook is considering. The only difference is I got std. blue 20ga. without chokes. My wife isn't really into guns and shooting. She is also very small. The Stoeger is much easier for her to shoot, than a youth pump gun. The 20ga Stoeger is only 1 1/2 oz. lighter than it's 12ga. brother. Ideally she'd hold up in the bedroom, where she's got the coach gun, followed by 6 .38+P's from a 4" S&W Mdl. 64 that should do the trick...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    C Hawk and Camo - I believe the SxS could truly be the ultimate in home defense. It's light, 8-12" shorter than a comparable pump, if it has funtional hammers it could be stored loaded indefinatley with no stress on any spring.

It also has simplicity on it's side, a monkey could operate it in ten seconds, very appealing as my wife isnt much of a gun person. Besides I've taken a tactical shotgun course and very quickly realized how easy it is to short stroke a pump under pressure.

I just dont believe there are many HD situations that couldnt be handled in 2 rounds of buckshot, besides check out some shotgun stages from CAS on youtube, with practice a SxS can be reloaded VERY quickly.

Another option I'm interested in is a bird hunting shotgun with Auto Ejectors and cutting down the barrels? Who makes a functional hammer SxS with auto ejectors?
    While I can appreciate your opinion and I understand where you are coming from. Two rounds is just not enough for me, I guess I am someone who likes to not run short on anything.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    While I can appreciate your opinion and I understand where you are coming from. Two rounds is just not enough for me, I guess I am someone who likes to not run short on anything.
    Same here. Assuming 2 shots=2 stopped bad guys sounds like a bad assumption to make.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Why would you replace a pump for a double barrel? Do you like a challange?
    Maybe instead of a light on the under-side rail he's gonna attach a bayonet.

Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    I believe the SxS could truly be the ultimate in home defense. It's light, ...

It also has simplicity on it's side, a monkey could operate it in ten seconds, very appealing as my wife isnt much of a gun person. ... with practice a SxS can be reloaded VERY quickly.
    Luuuuccccccccyyyyy, you (may) have some explaining to do if your wife sees this.

The fact that it's light and a 12 ga and your wife may be using it and isn't a gun person gives me pause. She will probably hate shooting it with effective HD loads and therefore will not practice. So much for reloading very quickly. If you're gonna expect your wife to use a shotgun for HD, you have to make sure she will be comfortable with it and practice with it. Think 20 ga autoloader. When I read In the Gravest Extreme, Mas' opinion was he'd rather rely on the reliability of the engineering at Remington (1100 or 11-87) than the reliability of a human operating a pump. I'd bet he'd say the same about an inexperienced person trying to reload a coach gun under stress. It will also be more comfortable for her to shoot and she'd be more likely to practice with it.

Saw two women at the range in the past week whose husbands bought guns (shotgun and pistol) without their input. Both left wanting/needing a different gun and different instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I'd vote to keep the pump due to capacity, for HD situations where it's size and weight isn't a problem, but get the Coach Gun for back-up and for traveling, because the Coach Gun is so much smaller and takes-down in just a couple of seconds to no longer than 20".

For myself, I rely primarily on a Mossberg 590 (20" barrel with 9-rnd capacity) for home and RV defense, with my 500 Persuader (18.5" barrel with 6-round capacity) as a back up, and my Coach Gun as an additional option at hand.

But when I travel, the Coach Gun comes along as my primary shotgun, because it is so well-suited to easy and discreet transport in take-down mode. Easily stows under a car seat, packs in a small suitcase, backpack, or small zippered soft case (which does not look like a gun case!)

I like Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme models as they are well made, reliable, durable, come in a variety of models, are quite common to find, and have a padded butt stock. I would choose only a two-trigger model for reliability. The single trigger models are known to have reliability issues. I'm not a fan of external hammers; I prefer the sleeker design of internal hammers.

For size comparison to full size pumps:

And here's the Coach Gun in it's various conditions:

I LIKE YOUR THINKING(and your shotguns!). THERE is "something"about a SxS visually,like there is "something" about the sound of a pump racking.
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member
    OK, I see that the coach gun with lack of receiver is almost like a class III 14" barrel shotgun.....so I am feeling the love for coach guns now. (surely I used the terms slightly incorrect here so don't pick on me over it)

Nice photo comparisons, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    OK, I see that the coach gun with lack of receiver is almost like a class III 14" barrel shotgun.....so I am feeling the love for coach guns now. (surely I used the terms slightly incorrect here so don't pick on me over it)

Nice photo comparisons, thank you.
    OK... you're going to like this. I found this tripod bag for like $9. The Coach Gun barrel is 20" the bag is 22". Perfect!!!

To prevent scratches, I wrap the barrel and stock separately in a soft cotton pillow case before slipping them and the forearm into the bag.

My size 11 shoes for size reference

Off you go with a most discreet (and economical) little bag! A totally non-tactical, low-profile approach.

"What's in the bag?"

"OH! That's my tripod!" ;)

While a larger capacity pump shotgun makes for a better defense gun, in those situations where you just wouldn't take a larger pump shotgun, you can easily take along the coach gun. Should you be so unfortunate as to find yourself in a defense situation, a two-shot 12 gauge is a HECK of a lot better than NO shotgun at all.

If you're on the road, in a motel, tent, or wherever and getting settled in, you can assemble the coach gun in 2 seconds and have a very nice defensive addition to your pistol. Two quick rounds of 00 Buck at your disposal, before transitioning to your pistol, can be a heck of a lot more effective than only having the pistol. ;)
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I have wanted a Stoeger Coach Gun forever. I will have one eventually, I hope.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Senior Moderator
    I would like a couch gun for DHart's stated reasons. It is small and you can travel with it easily.

And a Double barrel shotgun is better than no shotgun.

I would still prefer a pump for HD
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links