Coach Guns

This is a discussion on Coach Guns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by pgrass101 I would like a couch gun for DHart's stated reasons. It is small and you can travel with it easily. And ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coach Guns

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would like a couch gun for DHart's stated reasons. It is small and you can travel with it easily.

And a Double barrel shotgun is better than no shotgun.

I would still prefer a pump for HD
    Different tools for different applications... pump for home and double for travel is a nice set-up. And a double around the house, as an extra, isn't a bad idea either.
    Last edited by DHart; May 21st, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

2. Remove Ads

"Have double..will travel."
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    "Have double..will travel."
    Man, those old Paladin shows were great... I watched those as a young kid... must have helped form my appreciation for firearms.

"Have double... will travel" indeed!
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

I got the Stoeger 20" SXS Supreme with no hammers, single trigger.

Reasons;
    * it's easier to maneuver and swing inside of a house than a shotgun with a long barrel.
    * I can fire off two rounds singularly or at the same time, and not likely to miss.
    * I have the handgun for anything after that, or if I want to reload the shotgun quickly,... depending upon the situation.

* I can use it to hunt in areas that are difficult with a long barrel due to some of the areas are very thick with trees, and with a long gun... you are hitting limbs, etc. all of the time.

* I can use it to shoot trap and it breaks down well , making it easy to stow and take along.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I got the Stoeger 20" SXS Supreme with no hammers, single trigger.

Reasons;
    * it's easier to maneuver and swing inside of a house than a shotgun with a long barrel.

* I can fire off two rounds singularly or at the same time, and not likely to miss.

* I have the handgun for anything after that, or if I want to reload the shotgun quickly,... depending upon the situation.

* I can use it to hunt in areas that are difficult with a long barrel due to some of the areas are very thick with trees, and with a long gun... you are hitting limbs, etc. all of the time.

* I can use it to shoot trap and it breaks down well , making it easy to stow and take along.
    All good reasons to me. (I'd be leery of the single trigger, though... test that thing out heavily!!! There are a LOT of reports of them malfunctioning and firing both chambers with one pull. Or only firing one chamber. Do a Google search and you'll see what to be concerned about.)

I love having a Coach Gun around. And the Stoeger Supreme (preferrably a two-trigger model for me) is definitely the way to go! Congrats.

I wouldn't want to give up a good pump (like the 18.5" Mossberg 500 "Persuader"), but having the Coach Gun as well is an excellent alternate choice. And if the Coach Gun is all I had available, I would feel quite confident that it would very likely handle whatever threat I, as a law-abiding, low-key, private citizen, am likely to face. With pistol as a back up.

Consider having your auto safety converted to manual so you can fire immediately after a reload. And the chambers and action polished to make operation and ejection super slick. You already have the buttpad. But depending on LOP, you might want to have that shortened up by an inch or two... makes shouldering and handling that much quicker and easier! Length of pull on my modified Coach Gun is 13" and it shoulders quick and easy for me... but I wouldn't mind stepping down another inch to 12" either! (I'm 6'1" with fairly long arms).

I got a old Stevens SxS, Still works GREAT with 20" barrel. Only thing is it don't eject the spent shells, for a reason though if you shoot one side & go to reload it would kick both shells. I would love it because I usually shoot both barrels ; )
    PS The Stoeger is a great feeling gun.
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    We MUST be vigilant and vote those wrong-minded idiots out of our government! The present administration is an abomination of our basic and founding principles. We've got to usher them OUT.

bought a rossi 12ga s/s and flipped it to a cowboy shooter--nice gun but i made 200.00 so what the heck--bought a used winchester defender for--200. (mint)-so what's not to like.

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Luuuuccccccccyyyyy, you (may) have some explaining to do if your wife sees this.

The fact that it's light and a 12 ga and your wife may be using it and isn't a gun person gives me pause. She will probably hate shooting it with effective HD loads and therefore will not practice. So much for reloading very quickly. If you're gonna expect your wife to use a shotgun for HD, you have to make sure she will be comfortable with it and practice with it. Think 20 ga autoloader. When I read In the Gravest Extreme, Mas' opinion was he'd rather rely on the reliability of the engineering at Remington (1100 or 11-87) than the reliability of a human operating a pump. I'd bet he'd say the same about an inexperienced person trying to reload a coach gun under stress. It will also be more comfortable for her to shoot and she'd be more likely to practice with it.

Saw two women at the range in the past week whose husbands bought guns (shotgun and pistol) without their input. Both left wanting/needing a different gun and different instructor.
    I'd have to agree with this.

For travel, I'd rather have a folding Kel-tec Sub 2000 carbine.

Of course, for skeet, a side-by-side or over-under is probably the way to go.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    These three are often found and inexpensive......Stoeger (Brazil), Norinco (Chinese) and Biakal (Russian). All are relaible but a bit rough around the edges.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Nothing wrong with a coach gun for HD, particularly if one has one or more handguns to back it up, and/or plans to use a handgun for actually going mobile. I work for a PD that considers my off-the-clock shooting incidents to be duty-related, and therefore expects me to use weapons with which I have qual'ed. I am only allowed to qual with the Remington 870 or Benelli M1/M2 shotguns; no doubles. I now use Remington 870s. When I near retirement, if not earlier, I will be looking for a short-barreled double. Assuming a budget double, I like the Baikals; they have been making rugged, reliable doubles for decades.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Cimarron may make one that has everything you're looking for.

BTW, either it or one of the Chinese-mades one have rabbit ears (external, functional, mandatory hammers) AND a safety.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Just bought a NORINCO coach gun last Thursday. Side by side double, 20" barrels, exposed rebounding hammers, double triggers, tang safety and sling mounts. Just like the ones that the boys in the God Father carried to protect Mike when he was hiding in Sicily. Out the door for $295. It works and looks cool. It's going to hang over the door to the deck - loaded with the hammers relaxed. Just a conversation piece until needed.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Thought I should also mention handling.

For anyone who hasn't handled the short Coach Gun, you're in for quite a "handling" treat. They are dramatically lighter and much more nimble than their longer, heavier, higher capacity brothers.

And a reminder re: capacity... even though the capacity is only two loads of 00 Buckshot before a reload, for those travel times when you would normally only take a pistol with you, and wouldn't bother with taking a pump or auto shotgun, the Coach Gun travels really easily and having a two-shot 12 gauge shotgun (with refills) and a pistol is a lot better defensive position to be in than having just a pistol! ;)

Here's mine

Old Spanish crossbolt 3 1/2" 10 gauge. 18"
    Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links