Coach Guns

Coach Guns

This is a discussion on Coach Guns within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi Guys- I'm looking for some advice on choosing a coach gun for HD. I dont intend this to be a debate about SxS's vs ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coach Guns

Coach Guns

Hi Guys-

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a coach gun for HD. I dont intend this to be a debate about SxS's vs Pumps, I have a Remington 870 and I am choosing to replace it with a coach gun.

I'd like to pick up a coach gun with external hammers and 18-20 inch barrels in 12 gauge.

Who makes them and which are the best and most affordable?

Thanks,
    Josh

I've been looking for the same thing. Good luck finding one with external hammers. There is an imported one (Chinese made, can't recall the name), but it doesn't exactly scream quality. Also, be careful that the external hammers are actually functional. I saw one that had hammers but was still internally striker fired. The hammers were not functional. Let me know if you find something that fits the bill. Try Whitetail Outfitters in Riner. They're very helpful.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

gtv
    CZ Hammer Coach -- has functional hammers. 12 gauge, 3" chambers, 20" barrels. Runs about $850 - $900, I think. Nice looking guns.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

I would assume that since most of these guns are made for CAS, very few or none of them have ejectors, only extractors?

Is this correct, does anyone know of one that does in fact have ejectors?

Here's what I have...
    Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge and 20-Gauge with 3” Chamber

Mine is in 12ga...I bought it new and shipped to this guy...
    Coyote Cap Gunworks
    He's well-known in the cowboy shooting world. I only wanted a coach gun that would have 'quality' operation, and he transformed the weapon.

I paid approximately $350 for the coachgun, and another $175-200 for the 'rework'. It is a GREAT HD weapon!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 20th, 2010 at 09:37 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Have you seen Stoeger's double defense 12 gauge? Rail under for light. Looks promising.

Here's a Spartan that was listed with the Remingtons on Bud's gun shop.

Spartan

I was lucky enough to find a Remington SPR220 Coach gun last summer. It was actually manufactured by Baikal in Russia but Remington imported them for a couple of years. It is a 12 ga. with 18 inch barrel and functional external hammers. I only paid $435 (NIB) for it and feel like I did pretty well. With its light weight and not recoil pad, it sure does put a hurtin on your shoulder when you pull those triggers! You could keep your eyes open for a used one at local gun/pawn shops. Good luck!
    Current handguns: Glock models 19, 22C, 23, 27, 29, & 36; Kimber Pro CDP and Polymer Custom; Kahr PM9 & CW9; S&W models 6906, 386PD, 66; Taurus 85 Ultralite Ti; Browning Buckmark;

Former handguns: S&W 4"686, 4" 620 & Sigma .380, Taurus 617 Ti, Kimber Pro Eclipse, Walther P22, Glock 30 & 33.

from retsupt99: It is not a very fine HD weapon.

I think you meant it is a Fine Weapon...LOL Based on the previous reviews I have seen you give. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'd several years ago looked into same for double duty toward HD and as a field gun (turkey & deer).
    I wound up choosing to go the SBS route but I was then having a mouth water view toward the Stoeger O/U Condor line...

Condor (Short LOP youth stock variant = 36.5" OAL!)

Stoeger Condor Over & Under Shotguns: 12-Gauge, 20-Gauge, and .410 Gauge with 3" Chamber; 16-Gauge with 2-3/4" Chamber

Condor 'Outback' (36" OAL)

Stoeger Condor Outback Over & Under 12-Gauge or 20-Gauge Shotgun, with 3" Chamber

For sake of relative comparison my SBS with 14" barel and standard length stock has a OAL per the mfr. of 33.75".
    That is just 2.25" shorter than the Condor product line (!).

If you cannot afford the SBS route, IMHO the coach gun works.
    Best part these come with threaded barrels that support internal chokes while my guns barrel is a fixed choke (modified).

If used to a jury your boomstick is just a field gun for clays and game, even if you select the black polymer furniture variant.

Clint Smith has no quarrel at all with break action HD shotguns on the cheap...
    Defensive Shotgun
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    from retsupt99: It is not a very fine HD weapon.

I think you meant it is a Fine Weapon...LOL Based on the previous reviews I have seen you give. LOL
    Thanks for the "heads up"...it must be my 'sometimers' kicking in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Used to have a Stevens 311R. Although it didn't have external hammers it was a great little SxS.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Hi Guys-

I'm looking for some advice on choosing a coach gun for HD. I dont intend this to be a debate about SxS's vs Pumps, I have a Remington 870 and I am choosing to replace it with a coach gun.

I'd like to pick up a coach gun with external hammers and 18-20 inch barrels in 12 gauge.

Who makes them and which are the best and most affordable?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Why would you replace a pump for a double barrel? Do you like a challange?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Distinguished Member
    Why get a hd shotgun with a two shell capacity? Just wondering, is there other compelling things about the Coach gun other than maneuverability and small size?

Not being argumentative, just trying to learn here.

Thanks.

C Hawk and Camo - I believe the SxS could truly be the ultimate in home defense. It's light, 8-12" shorter than a comparable pump, if it has funtional hammers it could be stored loaded indefinatley with no stress on any spring.

It also has simplicity on it's side, a monkey could operate it in ten seconds, very appealing as my wife isnt much of a gun person. Besides I've taken a tactical shotgun course and very quickly realized how easy it is to short stroke a pump under pressure.

I just dont believe there are many HD situations that couldnt be handled in 2 rounds of buckshot, besides check out some shotgun stages from CAS on youtube, with practice a SxS can be reloaded VERY quickly.

Another option I'm interested in is a bird hunting shotgun with Auto Ejectors and cutting down the barrels? Who makes a functional hammer SxS with auto ejectors?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links