Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?

This is a discussion on Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by reyno2ac I keep mine like this: -Chamber empty -Pump forward -Safety off (its hard to operate the Mossberg 500 safety with a ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?

Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    I keep mine like this:
    -Chamber empty
    -Pump forward
    -Safety off (its hard to operate the Mossberg 500 safety with a pistol grip stock)

All I have to do is cycle the action and pull the trigger.
    This is how I roll with my Mossy 500 pistol grip. If I need to go check something out, I'll chamber as soon as I grab it rather than waiting until I get to whatever it was.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Well, I guess I would call my 870 Super Mag in the "cruiser ready" position. My reasoning for this was foreign objects in the trigger guard. I keep it on the wall next to my bed on a lock to prevent theft and keep the kids hands off.

At night, I insert the key and hold the key in with a partial turn so all I have to do is finish turning (no fumbling in the dark to get the key in), pull off and rack the slide. I have gone for my shotty in the middle of the night before and it is quick, easy and safe.

I hadn't considered the gun not being safe from impacts. One more reason to keep a round out of the chamber. Thanks for the heads up on that Janq and Benthic.
    Attached Images
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

Quote Originally Posted by Rigrat View Post
    I to will have to reconsider keeping mine chambered. Will more than likely hearing this going to mag loaded and chamber empty.
    Don't take my word for it either.
    Verify on your own.

Do my test as I described...All you need is an any color crayon and a spent shell.
    I'm pretty sure you will be surprised at the result.

Another is to take the gun as held either on the horizontal or at angle barrel down and shake it forward hard, once.
    You should find the same result.

Be safe(st) bro!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Knowing that everything that can be thought of or imagined has been done and can now be found on the internets...I ran a quick Google search to see if I could locate either a news story reflecting a hunter being injured or even better a YouTube vid showing this phenomenon.

I gave up after about 5m of effort...Far too much data to sort through.

But I did find this article by Ayoob that I've no recollection of seeing before.
    This looks to be a really good and well written primer on shotguns, shotgun ammunition, proper use & storage and common errors.

Note what he has to say abotu shotgun storage and chambered rounds...

Firearms handling refresher
    Part II: Shotguns

By Massad Ayoob

Shotgun Handling and Shooting Tips

Remember that no shotguns have internal firing pin locks. This means that if a shell is in the chamber and the gun is struck sharply against a hard object at either muzzle or butt end, inertia can cause the firing pin to bounce forward against its spring and unintentionally fire the shotgun.

This is why shotguns in police cars are ALWAYS kept with loaded magazines but empty firing chambers. For the same reasons, a shotgun stored loaded in the home for family defense should be a magazine-type weapon kept with its firing chamber empty.

It is customary to hunt with rounds in the guns’ chambers, and this is why the “Ten Commandments of Firearms Safety” for hunters includes admonitions to unload the gun and set it down before crossing fences, and to always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

When the shotgun’s chamber is loaded, the gun should always be in “on safe” mode. Have the thumb near the thumb safety or the trigger finger near the safety crossbolt on the trigger guard if you want to be ready, but do not carry the gun with the digit in contact with the safety. A sudden movement engendered by loss of balance or startle response could cause that part of the hand to inadvertently release the safety.

For the same reason, the trigger finger should ALWAYS be outside the trigger guard until you are in the act of intentionally firing the shotgun. Adherence to this rule would have prevented a great many accidental shooting tragedies over the long history of the shotgun.

Source - Firearms handling refresher Part II: Shotguns by Massad Ayoob I031221
    Everything he's stated above I have been advising for some time now and do same toward students as related to both Basic Hunter Education, and HD/combat. It doesn't matter what the application might be the rules and _dangers of ignoring the rules_ remain same.

I typically advise hunter students to not chamber a round (and leave the chamber locked open) when going into the field as they are on the way to their stand or what have you. Do not load at all until actually in the stand itself and secured...Or into your blind and actively ready to begin observation for game.
    When finished the first thing that should be done is the chamber emptied and the chamber left as open, before they do anything else. So many people have been shot by their dogs alone because of ignoring this should be common sense firearms handling & use rule.

Anyway this whole article looks to be a very good read and for those in this thread I'd suggest it as a must read item be you a shotgun/longgun newbie or even those who are more comfortable with them in possession and use.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    This is how I roll with my Mossy 500 pistol grip. If I need to go check something out, I'll chamber as soon as I grab it rather than waiting until I get to whatever it was.
    Exactly what I do too.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

My coach gun is sitting inside the unlocked safe, right in the front. On the shelf above are two 00 buck, and five more attached to the stock.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

870, 6 rds 00 in tube, empty chamber, safety on.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    I keep the chamber empty, magazine full, safety on.

So I'm assuming if you're forced to hit a BG with the butt of your shotgun, it could go off if there's a shell in the chamber?

Yep. ^^

And not just with a shotgun either, but some rifles too.

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNinjaGo View Post
    I keep the chamber empty, magazine full, safety on.

So I'm assuming if you're forced to hit a BG with the butt of your shotgun, it could go off if there's a shell in the chamber?
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yep. ^^

And not just with a shotgun either, but some rifles too.

- Janq
    More than likely I'm not going to be swinging at anyone with my gun until its empty anyway
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Distinguished Member
    Thanks for all the information Janq and everybody else. Interesting stuff.

Pump Action. 5 in the mag. None in the chamber. Safety off.
    Proud Lady Blue Dog

Agreed Reyno.

Which is another reason why it's a good idea to invest in dummy ammo/snap caps as related to training and learning how to run your own gun very well.
    Loading and unloading. Chamber loading. Magazine loading. Action manipulation with off-hand while leaving the gun shouldered and at the ready. Loading to the chamber and magazine as same. Action release manipulation with the weak hand as well as strong. And most important of all being trigger safety and muzzle control (proper modes of carry).

There's much more to know than just knowing where the safety is located and slapping the trigger.

For an example of how serious this is watch this video.
    Skip all the intro garbage and FFWD to 5:30 and pay close attention to the shooter/contestant.

YouTube - Ignatius Piazza Front Sight Shotgun Training

Gotta get real familiar with your firearm what ever it might be and that only comes from training & practice, for real.

- Janq

Loaded, none in the chamber, want to rack one in so that the predator is fully cognizant of what is about to occur. Experience has shown this to work - entirely non-theoretical...similar to when a .45 is racked...some felons will attest to their first thoughts - "oh, boy...."
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

870 express.....Tube full, safety off. Bandolier full of shells (24) right next to it, to throw over my shoulder if need be.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links