Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?

This is a discussion on Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How do people keep coach/db hd guns - what are the safety/readiness considerations there?...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?

Distinguished Member
    How do people keep coach/db hd guns - what are the safety/readiness considerations there?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    Based off what i'm hearing regarding cruiser ready, It should not affect the gun if I dry fire it to bring the hammer down? I heard somewhere that you want to avoid dry firing long guns.
    Who ever told you that was largely incorrect.

The only exception to that as I am aware of is toward the general rule with .22LR firearms, longguns and handguns.
    And even then that is really only applicable to older type guns not modern who have firing pins these days made of durable metals including alloys and steel.

I dry fire every gun I have and I dry fire them _often_.
    Why? Because I train and practice.
    As well I reference and actually _read_ the owners manual of my firearms all of which do not state that dry firing is prohibited.
    Further I use dummy rounds & snap caps as I'd previously mentioned to work on loading and gun manipulation.
    Many people do.

Who ever told you this either was misunderstood, mis-read (hos owners manual) and proved himself to be a person who does not train.

- Janq

P.S. - Firing pins are generally very much inexpensive and overall easy as pie to replace on most every gun I've ever seen.
    To my mind what's more expensive?
    A maybe $10 part that will take up maybe 15 to 30m of your time to replace once in a very blue moon...
    Or being this guy (FFWD to 5:30) who when push comes to hove fails because he didn't train and run weapon manipulation drills, including dropping the hammer, because possibly he too was concerned about wearing/breaking a maybe $10 part on his life preservation tool.
    Train. Parts wear with use and you replace them. Become familiar with your tool(s) as beyond location of the trigger, chamber and magazine tube/well.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerMan View Post
    ...B) Right when I first grab it if I think I'm about to need it. I've weighed the pros and cons and in my situation the advantage of having it ready to go outweighs those two slight risks, which can be mitigated by proper firearm handling. Keep in mind that where I keep my shotgun and my living situation mean that there is no chance of it accidentally getting knocked around, obviously everybody needs to take into account all the variables and decide what is best for them, for me it is a chambered round.
    Item B is nearly completely eliminated because on modern shotguns although many are not drop proof by design, they would though generally require a good amount of impact shock (i.e. being dropped butt or muzzle forward from shoulder height) for the firing pin to move forward enough to strike the primer with force/energy to cause the primer to take anything other than a light strike hit.

Don't get me wrong in thinking that you have to handle a shotgun gingerly as under normal handling and operation, when loaded.
    Just don't go drop a loaded shotgun (at all in any way or direction) which on the whole is a basic firearm safety rule for any firearm even those that might be drop safe such as many modern handguns and many modern design rifles.

BTW anyone who has any doubt about this toward their firearm regardless of type, you can easily verify this by looking at a guns owners manual and referencing the always provided schematic diagram of the gun and it's parts.
    Usually it's pretty obvious where and how a firing pin safety is and might work including those that on longguns might have a transfer bar system or two part firing pin as on some model rifles.
    You don't have to be a gunsmith or engineering major to figure it out either. But if if all else fails and you just aren't sure,pickup the phone and call the mfrs. customer service line to ask....For free.

Don't take so no so's word from the range/street/internet for nothing (not even mine!) as when it comes to verifying function of the tools you might use to save your own life.

$0.02 Street

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    How do people keep coach/db hd guns - what are the safety/readiness considerations there?
    Old school design external hammers: Hammers down

Modern design internal hammers: Hammers cocked...Because there is no other way being as they are automatically cocked once the action is opened as akin to a conventional shotgun.

On many but not all of these modern design internal hammer coach guns, once the action is opened the hammer(s) is reset AND the by design _hammer safety_ is automatically set to ON.

This exception is why earlier I'd stated that many but not most/all shotguns do not have hammer/firing pin safeties.
    Several modern design internal hammer/striker fired shotguns be they coachguns or even some being long barrled field and waterfowl guns do have this feature.

Examples include various models by Stoeger (a subsidiary of Benelli) who is big in that niche market.

- Janq

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Hot standby/ Condition 3
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

MY 870 Tactical..magazine loaded,chamber empty and safety on. The "racking" is all part of the beauty of the defensive shotgun and may eliminate the need to actually use it!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Four rounds of Federal 00 buckshot in the tube, chamber empty, safety on.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Full magazine, chamber empty, safety off. Mossberg 590 A1.
    Same here
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Rem 870: Full mag, chamber empty and the safety off.

Its just me and my wife, and she knows not to be messing with it unless in a serious situation.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar

Currently. Empty with 5 rounds on the side saddle, because I am still working out the baby crawling issue.

Also I am left handed so that is why it looks backwards.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

One of these days I want to get a left handed shotgun and rifle...Just to have one.

- Janq shoots all firearms ambidextrously

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Shotgun isn't left handed. Just the ammo carrier. In my opinion for shotguns it doesn't matter, but for bolt actions, man that is a sweet "upgrade".

Given my situation this works pretty well for me for now. I keep the action open so it is very quick to strip a shell off and load it into the chamber while the wife goes for the pistol in the lockbox and grabs the baby.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Agreed regarding bolt rifles.
    Why a righty would not go with a left handed or one of those ambi port guns make no sense to me...Aside from the that's what everybody else does mode of thought.

A left handed shotgun would be sweet too just for ease of feeding the chamber quickly not requiring an underhand or overhand toss.

- Janq

I notice that most folks store thier spare shells what I would call, face down. That is, you have to pull them up and out of the individual holders. In my practicing in the basement, I find it far easier to keep the shotgun shouldered, supported with my right hand and reloading by pulling a shell downward and into the bottom ramp with my lefthand (I have a 6rnd sidesaddle).. Granted, that leaves the chamber empty, so i'm required to rack a load into the chamber once done loading up...

<Thread derail over>

I now store my shotty with 7 in da tube, and an empty chamber.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by HuttoAg96 View Post
    I have a 3 and 5 year old in my house, so my 500 is stored with the action closed, on safety, unchambered, with 5 rounds of 00 in the tube. Once he gets big enough to work the action I'll have to consider keeping it disabled with a cable lock, and rely on the 9mm in the quick safe for defense.

He's gonna be learning about guns real soon, so we'll see if I think he's "responsible" enough, but you always have to worry about any friends they'd bring over, too.
    same for me. 7 in the magazine, safety on, action closed, in the locked safe. all my long guns are stored like this except my nagant which is stored empty.

my kids are not strong enough yet to work the action on any of my guns. and i am working on gun safety with them.

i had my 2 year old with me when i was making my most recent purchase, and i had to carry him around the store for 30 minutes while they ran the background check. every gun he saw, he said "daddy, no touch the gun". he's learning.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links