Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?

This is a discussion on Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was reading this thread- most if not all of you keep you shotgun magazines loaded. I havent seen this mentioned so I assume its not ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?

Was reading this thread- most if not all of you keep you shotgun magazines loaded. I havent seen this mentioned so I assume its not a big issue. However Ive been told that keeping a shotgun loaded will cause shotshells to warp over time due to the tension of the spring. Is this true? How long would it take for this to happen if it does happen? I keep my shotgun unloaded and depend on a pistol for immediate HD for this reason. Thanks everyone!
    [__☺]
    -OllllO-
    []o=[]
    Beretta PX4 Storm .45 / Springfield Armory XDM 9 / Springfield Armory 1911 Milspec / Smith Wesson 686 / Bushmaster XM-15 E2
    DPMS A-15 Oracle / Remington 870 Express Magnum / Remington 597 .22

2. Remove Ads

Benelli M1S90, Condition 1, with 1 on the feed tray, and 6 in the magazine.

Itís stored in a V-Line long gun vault.

While I do believe that a loaded shotgun can be discharged if dropped ďjust rightĒ, in over 35 years of bird hunting, I have yet to see it happen. Iíve seen everything from guns knocked over in a blind/boat by retrievers, to guys taking a header while full out running chasing a rooster complete with "gun flying out of hands" without a DC.

Trying Janqís test with two of my Benelliís and using a primed empty hull the best I could get was a slightly dented primer and that was with a 32Ē drop directly on the butt of my gun. It looked very similar to the indent on a 5.56 round thatís been chambered in an AR repeatedly.

Iím not saying it canít/wonít happen, just that under normal use and some abnormal clumsiness I havenít seen it happen yet.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Best bet to make it go off would probably be to drop it right on the muzzle, the only time I've seen a discharge from a dropped weapon was like that with an M-16 (fortunately loaded with blanks). Somebody fumbled theirs standing in the back of a 5-ton and landed on concrete directly on the muzzle.

Also, I'd like to point out that I wasn't worried that regular handling or a bit jostling/short drop would discharge my shotgun, I was just pointing out that was the only chance for something to happen, I would say that it is impossible but nothing can be completely ruled out so I'll settle for saying that the odds are incredibly miniscule of something untoward occurring.
    Last edited by BadgerMan; April 24th, 2010 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added line

Distinguished Member
    That Benelli is gorgeous.

I also keep the shells metal side down so that you reach and pull down on it.

Janq, thank you for all the information. Do we owe you tuition?

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    I also keep the shells metal side down so that you reach and pull down on it.
    I carry ammo that way because counter to the "norm" I reload with my strong hand while keeping the gun shouldered with my support hand. To me at least itís faster due to the better dexterity of my right hand and itís easier to keep the gun on target due to leverage. If the gun is empty itís also a lot faster to drop a round in the chamber and hit the bolt release with my right hand rather than the left-handed ďreach-overĒ.

I started doing it in CAS with an 1897, and it sort of stuck.

Badgerman, I agree, there are literally thousands of guys and gals going afield every year spending countless hours with loaded shotguns/rifles without firing pin blocks. IF impact discharges were prevalent or easily occurred the manufactures would have either installed blocks by now or been sued out of business.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed regarding bolt rifles.
    Why a righty would not go with a left handed or one of those ambi port guns make no sense to me...Aside from the that's what everybody else does mode of thought.

A left handed shotgun would be sweet too just for ease of feeding the chamber quickly not requiring an underhand or overhand toss.

- Janq
    Hey Janq, check out a Browning BPS.

Browning BPS 12ga tactical police 8 shot riot NIB : Pump at GunBroker.com

Thats not mine, just an example I found.

Yep...And Remington makes left handed models as well.
    No urgency right now but some day I'd like to have one.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    The coach gun discussion got me thinking about this.

My MB500 is kept with safety off, fore-end or pump forward. Magazine fully loaded.

To shoot just pull the pump back and the shell is chambered (is that the right word?) and ready to shoot.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but if the chamber is empty and you pull the slide back and attempt to shoot, you will find yourself in a bad position. All you have done, is nothing. No round has been chambered. You need to slam the slide forward to chamber a round kiddo.

Single shot New England Partner ... 18 1/4" bbl ... Sits muzzle down, open, loaded with 1" flachettes ... Will be making a back scabbard for it next month ...

I know it isn't much but I had to start rebuilding my collection somewhere ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Bernard Books

I believe a lot of police departments used to issue the Ithaca model 37 because ejecting out the bottom, it would be user friendly for both left and right handed officers.

(Ithaca Model 37 Defense Gun: available in synthetic or walnut stocks with 5 or 8 round magazine tube)
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Full mag empty chamber safety off.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

My brand-spanking-new 870 Tactical is loaded with 5 shells of #00, not chambered, safety on and firing pin not cocked.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

As I have for the almost 40 years I've owned my 870 Wingmaster through all we've been together in the field and now as a HD weapon, chamber empty, full mag. 7 rounds and safety on. Yes I know this gun well. I've modified it numerous time to get it just right for me and my wife, and we drill with it at home and afield. This is the very first firearm I ever owned and it is what I know better than anything as far as that goes. And fast to action, oh yeah!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but if the chamber is empty and you pull the slide back and attempt to shoot, you will find yourself in a bad position. All you have done, is nothing. No round has been chambered. You need to slam the slide forward to chamber a round kiddo.
    No bubble burst, no worries. Of course it needs to be put into the chamber. Good catch.

I did enjoy and learned from the discussion here, so it's all good.

I am curious as to why the safety is kept on if the chamber is empty. If the hammer is dropped to release the action to minimize the number of steps to make the weapon ready, why would you then add the step of removing the safety back into the equation.?

I keep mine tube loaded empty chamber, safety off and hammer down. Is this bad?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links