Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?

This is a discussion on Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The coach gun discussion got me thinking about this. My MB500 is kept with safety off, fore-end or pump forward. Magazine fully loaded. To shoot ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?

Distinguished Member

Your home defense shotgun - what condition to you keep it in?

The coach gun discussion got me thinking about this.

My MB500 is kept with safety off, fore-end or pump forward. Magazine fully loaded.

To shoot just pull the pump back and the shell is chambered (is that the right word?) and ready to shoot.

Comments? How do you all keep yours?

(with the coach gun you just keep it loaded and pull a trigger, right? I assume this is the simplicity of it? I have seen them in the shop but never shot one)

2. Remove Ads

Remington 870, 6+1 safety on. I don't want to do anymore than I have to for that first shot and I'm not counting on the sound of the action scaring anybody off. Last thing I want is to short stroke that first round or have something equally unfortunate happen because I didnt' have a round chambered, if it is good enough for my pistols than it is good enough for my shotgun. If I have to transport it I will at the very least remove the chambered shell and possibly unload the whole thing if I'm not planning on shooting it any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerMan View Post
    Remington 870, 6+1 safety on. I don't want to do anymore than I have to for that first shot and I'm not counting on the sound of the action scaring anybody off. Last thing I want is to short stroke that first round or have something equally unfortunate happen because I didnt' have a round chambered, if it is good enough for my pistols than it is good enough for my shotgun. If I have to transport it I will at the very least remove the chambered shell and possibly unload the whole thing if I'm not planning on shooting it any time soon.
    Exactly the same as above
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The difference between shotguns and handguns is that most modern handguns are drop safe...While many (I won't say most) modern shotguns are not.

The general norm is to keep them at hat is called by LEOs as 'Cruiser Ready'.
    Magazine to full capacity...Chamber empty...Action closed (pump forward as toward the barrel)....Trigger safety set to on (opposite of RED you're dead off)....AND be sure to drop the hammer/pull the trigger on the now verified empty chamber which will allow you to thereafter cycle the action without need to hit the action release manually.

When ready for deployment the action is cycled, a round removed from the magazine and loaded into the chamber.

For more information on this and other means of shotgun storage reference the following.

ARIZONA DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    4-HOUR ARMED SECURITY GUARD SHOTGUN TRAINING PROGRAM
    REFRESHER LESSON PLAN
    April 12, 2007
    http://licensing.azdps.gov/shotgun4hr.pdf

Personally I am fan of Cruiser Ready for shotgun storage (only!) and would roll that way _IF_ I lived alone and/or had no children in my home.
    As neither apply to me my shotgun is currently stored the same as my other longguns, locked, empty, with action open and the actions locked open as through the receiver and chamber via a cable lock. My go to HD gun is a pair of quick access locked 1911s stored as in Condition 1.

soon as my buddy and I get a quick access lockable storage compartment built into my bedroom wall...The shotgun, a carbine and a handgun will go in there. The longguns to be stored as in cruiser ready condition.

- Janq
    Last edited by Janq; April 21st, 2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Sixto with an assist reminder to drop the hammer too!
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The difference between shotguns and handguns is that most modern handguns are drop safe...While many (I won't say most) modern shotguns are not.
    <snip>
    Yep. It's my understanding that the Remington 870 is NOT drop safe, which is why I don't keep a round in the chamber of mine. If it's needed, I have to disengage the safety and chamber a round.

Brian

Senior Moderator
    For a HD shotgun I would keep it as Janq describes it. For my HD carbines I keep a loaded mag with the chamber empty and safety off.

“You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I keep mine like this:
    -Chamber empty
    -Pump forward
    -Safety off (its hard to operate the Mossberg 500 safety with a pistol grip stock)

All I have to do is cycle the action and pull the trigger.

I actually did it last night when our cat knocked a glass off the kitchen counter at 4 am. It sounded like someone broke a window.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Magazine full, chamber empty, action closed, safety off (the safety does nothing if there is no round in the chamber, and if you need to rack one in, you want to be ready to fire).
    But my wife is now pregnant, and having kids around will probably change a lot of things, including leaving a loaded shotgun easily accessible.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    chamber empty, slide back ready to load, safety on----winchester 1300 defender.

Currently:

870 Magnum
    7+1
    Safety activated
    2ft from bed

I might reconsider the shell in the chamber after reading that the 870 could go off if dropped. I put it up high when nieces/nephews come over, and lock the door.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    Yep. It's my understanding that the Remington 870 is NOT drop safe, which is why I don't keep a round in the chamber of mine. If it's needed, I have to disengage the safety and chamber a round.
    I can confirm this as being true....Having tested it directly.

With every firearm I possess I always as a training rule secure dummy rounds/snap caps for the chambering. I use them to not only test & verify function in general as well as after cleaning disassembly, but to train with when doing function drills such as loading and cycling of the action.
    I test for drop safety too which is easy.

Take a dummy round or even a spent shell and mark at the false primers center with a bit of crayon. Just a dab is all that is necessary.

DO NOT USE REAL/LIVE AMMO when doing this or ANY other function test, which should be a no brainer and not have to be stated...But a whole mess of people in life that happen to own/possess guns are STUPID!

Place the dummy round/spent shell in the elevator (Mossberg)/lifter (Remington and everybody else) then close the action.
    Next while holding the gun at the barrel from arms length out and high drop the gun vertically as on to it's butt pad/stock.
    If the gun has a padded stock then doing this onto a hard floor will present no issue of damage. If the gun has a solid butt plate, such as the Browning A5 with metal plate I have on hand, then do this onto a few layers of old clothing or a rug to not damage your flooring or the guns butt plate & stock.

Do this once and then open the action ejecting the round.
    Visually inspect the dab of crayon at the primer for puncture by the typically floating firing pin.
    You will most if not very likely see a notable difference.

This method works on any shotgun be it a slide/pump action, semi-auto or even a break action.
    I've yet to test a shotgun that was drop safe; Including Remington 870, Mossberg 590 & 500 or even the S&W 1000 which is a precision Japanese manufactured copy of the Remington 870 circa 70s and to mid 80s (smooth as butter actions!).

I personally am a big fan of the A-Zoom brand spun aluminum body snap caps and have sets in 12ga and .223 to .9MM and .45 ACP.
    Also Brownells sells really well built actual rounds that lack powder and primer while the shotgun shells have see through plastic bodies including wad/buffer and shot projectiles. They both are quality and very good for training or instruction toward students.

- Janq

P.S. - Another thing that folks forget or even do not know is that on shotguns and most rifles the safety does not function same as on most handguns.
    Shotgun safeties only block the trigger from being toggled. They do not block the hammer nor disable the firing pin.
    Many if not most rifles are same blocking only the triggers ability to be toggled.
    Where as on most handguns the safety is either toward the firing pin to block the hammer or disable the firing pin completely (1911 Schwartz type safety) or they do this AND disable/block the trigger too.
    So with most modern handguns they are drop safe while very much not the same can be said for shotguns period and many if not most rifles.
    This is not esoterica as it is very important to be aware of this mechanical function fact (check your specific guns owners manual for details) because whether you be at home or on a range or in the field, people do on occasion drop their firearm. It happens. Or bump it or into solid objects. Do that hard enough and with a chambered gun even as the safety might be active/on...And it's BOOM, negligent discharge!
    Why negligent? Because you weren't aware that the gun is not drop/bump safe AND you had it stored/stowed/carried as loaded while not in the immediate actively prepared to use and fire it. Negligence.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have a 3 and 5 year old in my house, so my 500 is stored with the action closed, on safety, unchambered, with 5 rounds of 00 in the tube. Once he gets big enough to work the action I'll have to consider keeping it disabled with a cable lock, and rely on the 9mm in the quick safe for defense.

He's gonna be learning about guns real soon, so we'll see if I think he's "responsible" enough, but you always have to worry about any friends they'd bring over, too.

Mag full, chamber empty, action closed..... It's a weapon of last resort inside..... I want that "racking" sound..... because the 911 recording will hear it too........
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I keep mine loaded but not one in the chamber. I have a flashlight attachment mounted on it. But I would probably get my AR-15 w/flashlight and laser before my shotgun.

I to will have to reconsider keeping mine chambered. Will more than likely hearing this going to mag loaded and chamber empty.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links