Looking at an AR as trade....

This is a discussion on Looking at an AR as trade.... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been offered an AR as trade for a gun that I am trying to move. I know very little about ARs, so I'd like ...

I've been offered an AR as trade for a gun that I am trying to move.

I know very little about ARs, so I'd like some advice.

Here's what the owner of the AR sent me, does it sound like a prety good setup, and what is the gun worth?

"

Mega upper and lower receivers and Mega billet charging handle with a Badger Ordnance Tactical Latch. CMT/Stag Full Auto Bolt carrier. "H" heavy buffer. 14.5" Colt genuine M4 barrel with Smith Vortex flash suppressor that his pinned to make the barrel just over 16" to be legal. Midwest Industries upper height railed gas block that is on the same plane as the upper receiver. Everything forward of the hand guards has been coated in flat black moly resin. The barrel and gas block were kind of a grey color and I wanted everything black to match the rest of the rifle. Knights Armament Rail Adpater System (RAS). Knights Armament vertical forward grip. Troy industries rail mounted quick detach sling swivel. LMT detachable front and rear sights. Noveske end plate with built in sling swivel socket. Magpul aluminum winter trigger guard. Magpul Miad pistol grip. The upper receiver rail and hand guards have ergo ladder covers to protect the rails and the shooters hands. The barrel is a Colt M4 barrel, chrome lined, 4150 steel, Magnetic Partice Inspected (MPI), 1/7 twist, 14.5" with a pinned vortex flash suppressor. I coated the barrel from the hand guards forward with Flat Black Moly resin because I wanted the whole rifle to be black."
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

I would check on the internet for reviews of the Mega uppers and lowers. Colt barrel? Sounds like this was a home built rifle. Nothing really wrong with that so long as the headspacing, barrel alignment and everything is okay. Ask if it's ever been shot. Don't know much about the front gas block other than that also needs to be installed correctly for function. Painting over the barrel parkerizing with a resin coating? Wonder how well that does once it gets hot, and it will since it's an M4 profile barrel and not a heavy. The KA rail system is a relatively expensive setup. Right now I couldn't guess it's worth, but being a build instead of a totally factory made rifle would be enough to rule it out entirely for me. That's just me. Depends on what you're wanting to trade and it's worth. If you're an AR-15 armorer and know your way in and out of them, then you could fix anything that needed fixing if that's the case.

Looks like a quality build to me. Did you make the trade? If so for what?
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

We need to know what you are looking to trade for the AR to tell you if we think its a good deal or not.

I would have to agree with Ram Rod though. It would probably be a good trade if you knew your way around AR's.

Personally, I wouldn't make the trade. From the sounds of it, we know about the same as far as AR's go. I'd stick with an off the shelf AR for my first, but I just bought a Savage rifle...so thats a no go...

Whatever you decide, GOOD LUCK!
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Well it is made up of all high quality parts. But like was said, who built it, and did they know what they were doing? Is it 5.56 or .223? You have around 1000$ worth of parts, give or take.
    Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of ones youth, blessed is he who has a quiver full of them.They will not be ashamed, they will speak with thier enemies at the gate.

Psalm 127:4-5

I would trade, it is made from a lot of good parts. My rifle is made from different parts and shoots like a dream!

What is the value of the firearm you would trade for this?

Colt barrels are 5.56mm I am real sure of that. ARs are not hard to work on, trust me, I know if I can, a monkey can.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Well, I did trade it. I was trading for my Dan Wesson PM7 shown here...

After talking to the owner, he's built several ARs, and wasn't looking to sell this one, but really wanted what I had to offer. I grew out of the PM7 a little, not practical for much beside target shooting... and I shoot my CBOB alot more. My collection was 1911 rich, and void of a good fighting rifle, so the swap was definitely a good one on my side.

The sellr said he built it around the election, and paid a premium for parts, he had well over 1k into it. I paid 1k for my Dan Wesson a year ago, and didn't shoot it much anymore.

Even if I have an issue with the AR, its a fixable thing, and makes for a pretty good starter rifle... until I get really into the scene, I can customize it or sell it and build something else later.

COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

As long as you're happy! Now knowing your situation, and the fact that I'm dying to have an AR, I probably would have traded! Enjoy it!
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Sweet looking stick!

May I suggest you mosey over to AR-15.com, very good info over their just like this one does!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I'd go to M4Carbine.net Forums - Powered by vBulletin first.

Better info, less traffic, easier to navigate.

I don't know what a PM-7 is worth, but you describe a quality build.

BTW, AR15s come pre-headspaced. You can use a Go/No-Go gauge to check the headspace, if you like, but that's normally not a concern on a newer AR.

I very much lucked in to a Colt 6721 HB. The AR platform is something a shooter or gun collector should not be without.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links