Which Colt AR

Which Colt AR

This is a discussion on Which Colt AR within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm curious to see which Colt AR would you choose. An HBAR type rifle like the MT6601C or an M4 type with a shorter barrel, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Colt AR

VIP Member

Question Which Colt AR

I'm curious to see which Colt AR would you choose. An HBAR type rifle like the MT6601C or an M4 type with a shorter barrel, like the AR6721.

Which would you choose and why? Feel free to mention other Colt models, the benefits of shorter vs longer, car stock vs fixed stock, removable handles, etc.

Please, no off topic post, or comments like I'd go with Bushmaster/Rock River, or build my own. Those are not relevant to this discusion.

So, between these two type of Colt's, which would you choose and why?

I've got the HBAR rifle, the MT6700C. It's just like the 6601 but with a 1/9 twist and detachable carry handle instead of fixed. I got it because I wanted the 20" barrel and I actually wasn't able to get my hands on one of their LE carbines easily at the time anyway. I wanted the feel of the A-2 I used in basic training. For a practical HD weapon though, I would certainly go with the LE carbine instead. It is a few pounds lighter and much more maneuverable. Also keep in mind that the 6601 and 6700 rifles have the over sized take-down pins, so you can't customize them nearly as much as the carbines.

I perfer the M4 style. (You listed the AR 6721.) If you are going for long range accuracy by getting a longer barrel then get a bigger caliber. The shorter the gun, the easier it will be to move quickly with. I'm not a huge 5.56 fan, but I do use it for home defense and short range coyote busting. If I am reaching out for the coyote, I go with my 30-06 (overkill, I know) or my .303 (Again, overkill. And a strange caliber. But I love it.)

I like the sliding stock mainly because I like how it looks. I just perfer it over the solid one.

And I am not big into customization (sp?) so those points are not a big deal with me. I do like having the removable handle though for the addition of various sights.

And I would NOT go with Bushmaster or Rock River. But that is just brand loyalty coming out.

So, to conclude. I'd definatly go with the shoter one. Preferably a LE model.
    SIG Sauer P229 .40 S&W

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I'm curious to see which Colt AR would you choose. An HBAR type rifle like the MT6601C or an M4 type with a shorter barrel, like the AR6721.

Which would you choose and why? Feel free to mention other Colt models, the benefits of shorter vs longer, car stock vs fixed stock, removable handles, etc.

Please, no off topic post, or comments like I'd go with Bushmaster/Rock River, or build my own. Those are not relevant to this discusion.

So, between these two type of Colt's, which would you choose and why?

Depends almost entirely on your intended use. Defense? Hunting? Plinking?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I have the 6721. Love it. Very accurate with the heavy barrel. It does have the 1/9 twist.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

6720. Lightweight 1:7, good sights, flat top reciever.

https://policeguns.com/catalog/produ...qu3h30ktmkhf96

ETA: I like the features of this gun for a home defense/training/plinking platform. If only they made it in a mid-length gas system...

VIP Member
    Thanks for the posts. Primarily as a plinking/range gun, maybe HD, but probably not.

I like fixed stocks more than the car variants, but will admit the shorter barrels are nice.

I went with the 6920, because I wanted the shorter carbine length for HD. I also will use it for range and plinking.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I've got an MT6400c which I've de-neutered. I basically have the 6920 now. That would be my choice (6920). Or the 6720 from Clyde. If you wanna pony up for the tax stamp and get a short barreled rifle, I'd get a 6933 or a 6921.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

Check out this link...M4 CHART
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Thanks Sigguy229, that is a good chart.

I have a S&W 15A, but my wife has taken it. I also have a Ruger Mini 14 which I like a lot. I'm considering adding another AR, a Colt, and I'm torn between getting a Carbine or a full size rifle. Too many choices.

I have the 6920 and I love it. I went with the Colt 6920 simply because I wanted the best, My intended purpose is close quarters type of operations in a urbane environments, And I don't regret it at all. The one you choose will depend on the intended purpose. I have been intending to get some good pictures of it, If I do this week end I will post a few.
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

VIP Member

Talking

I went with the AR6721C. Nice rifle!

This was a big purchase, so I'm likely done for the year. If I'm lucky I might get an ACOG for Christmas, but that is a ways off yet.

Very cool !! But you do realize you have to post pictures of your new purchase.
    I think it's in the rules some where. ;-)
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Mine is a Colt 6920, 1/7 twist.. basically a 16" m4
    Favorite load is Black Hills Blue Box 75 gr match hp.
    Primary mag is an H&K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links