My 1st AR... CMMG M4-LE...

This is a discussion on My 1st AR... CMMG M4-LE... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at the corner gun shop today, visiting with the owner and seeing if they had anything new to spark my interest. The owner ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st AR... CMMG M4-LE...

VIP Member

I was at the corner gun shop today, visiting with the owner and seeing if they had anything new to spark my interest. The owner had to show someone the AR's, so I started listening in. I've never had any interest in AR's before, but as he was showing the customer everything about them, I started warming up to them.

So I ended up bringing home, my first AR, a CMMG M4-LE with a 3-10x44 illuminated reticle scope and 4 mags. I'll mainly just be target shooting and plinking for now, but who knows where it will go from here. Haven't got to shoot it yet, but I'll get to the range to sight it in this week. Here are a couple of pics.

CMMG M4-LE

The cat seems to approve of the AR...

I'll post a range report as soon as I can get to shoot my new toy...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Nice purchase, good looking AR.

Nice rifle! I'll be interested in your range experience. I am shopping for a new AR right now and really haven't made up my mind in one direction.

Oh yeah... Very nice addition to your family!

Nice pics! They're so cute at that age.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Congrats!

I bought my first AR last year. Ya' done good and have a quality rifle there sir.

Now that ya' gots your first one, what are you going to do for a second one? I'm thinking I want a longer barrel and to turn the second one into a real "Coyote Zapper" for the 200 - 800 Yard range.

Biker

Now, just think of all the things you can buy for it now!!!

Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Now that ya' gots your first one, what are you going to do for a second one? I'm thinking I want a longer barrel and to turn the second one into a real "Coyote Zapper" for the 200 - 800 Yard range.
    I'm thinking something in .308... I kinda like the Remington AR series for my hunting needs...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Awww... You're killing me. I want an AR in the worst way. The problem is that I can't decide between an AR 223/556 & 308. I think the answer is both but starting with the .223.

'Great purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I'm thinking something in .308... I kinda like the Remington AR series for my hunting needs...
    I have found that it's an addictive platform. It's like a set of LEGO Building Blocks for men who would be boys. I can't believe it took me this long to "get with it". What can I say, I'm just slow.

I changed a few things on mine to have it suit my needs better. EO Tech Sight with a "flip up" MagPul Rear Sight and a bunch of MagPul Magazines. The MagPuls are cheap, and they work. I keep my metal magazines for practicing magazine changes. I also bolted a Surefire Flashlight to mine and changed the round handguard to one that is more ergonomic.

The MagPul handguard that I put on helps with those longer shots being that it's more ergonomic. It may sound like I'm a MagPul "fanboy", but I'm really not. I just found that I like their stuff and it works. It's also at a price point I can afford.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; April 28th, 2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: more info

All these AR pictures are killing me! I'd love to get one, i just don't have the funds right now...
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    All these AR pictures are killing me! I'd love to get one, i just don't have the funds right now...
    They have them in the CMMG site's Bargain Bin, starting at $599...

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yea, but I think I'd prefer a .223.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reyno2ac View Post
    Yea, but I think I'd prefer a .223.
    Those are in .223...

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

My 1st AR... CMMG M4-LE... Update, Range report..

Went out to sight-in the AR this afternoon. What can I say, this rifle is a tack driver. It took me about 20 rounds to get the scope sighted, but it couldv'e been done in 3-4 rounds by a good shooter. It had been bore sighted by the gun shop owner and was within 3" of zero. Once I did my part the gun continually put shot after shot into a ragged hole. The RO was helping me because I was having trouble with low blood sugar this afternoon and had the shakes really bad. He was impressed with the accuracy of a completely stock AR.

Well all I can say is I am now a big fan of CMMG and completely hooked on the AR... This is gonna be expensive...

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Awww... You're killing me. I want an AR in the worst way. The problem is that I can't decide between an AR 223/556 & 308. I think the answer is both but starting with the .223.

'Great purchase!

WHEC724, Obviously, you're going to have to have both.

However, here's the advice I gave someone the other day who can't decide between an AR-15 and the Springfield M1A.

Again, he won't be happy until he has both. I just said, if you live in an urban/metropolitan setting, get the AR-15 first. In your case the .223 AR.

If you live in a rural/country setting where distance and heavy hitting may be a factor you will need, then get the M1A first. In your case get the .308 AR first.

I hope this helps.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links