stoeger coach/sideXside w/ single trigger

This is a discussion on stoeger coach/sideXside w/ single trigger within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone have a stoeger coach gun/side by side with a single trigger? If so what do you think of it? How is it as ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By DHart
  • 1 Post By high pockets

Thread: stoeger coach/sideXside w/ single trigger

stoeger coach/sideXside w/ single trigger

Does anyone have a stoeger coach gun/side by side with a single trigger? If so what do you think of it? How is it as a defensive weapon. I have a pump gun but would like to add the stoeger to the collection. I have not been able to read a review on the single trigger version of the shotgun. I do not want a double defense. The plan is to place it in the car for travel and keep it home when not traveling next to the bed.
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

2. Remove Ads

Single-Trigger Coach Gun and Coach Gun Supreme in 12-Gauge and 20-Gauge with 2-3/4” & 3” Chambers

Breaks down easy , and is how I carry it in a short padded gun bag. I can take it along with my motorcycle bags if I want.
    It shoots great.
    It locks the safety on when the barrel is closed.... so in quick reloading you have to remember that. I wish they had extractors.
    First pull shoots left barrel, second shoots right barrel, and a hard pull will shoot both. I do like the screw in chokes, as can change the way it's set up. I got extras so I could go improved / modified or full, modified / modified , and modifed or improved / full .
    If you plan to shoot 00, make sure you have the right chokes as some can't be used for 00 and steel shot.

I have the 20" barrel and like the size for home defense, as well as hunting in fairly wooded areas (which I do). I got the model with the SS receiver too.

I really like mine and wouldn't trade it. I found used ones were selling for about what a new one would.

I'm a big fan of the Stoeger Coach Gun. But I would not rely on the single trigger models as they are well noted to have reliability issues. Stick with the double trigger models as they are tried and true! Important for defense use. If you just want the gun for fun... single trigger may be ok if you don't mind the possibility of shooting doubles when you least expect it.

For home & RV defense, of course the pumps (590 and 500 for me) are the better choice due to capacity. But when I travel, I like a shotgun around if possible. And with the Coach Gun, it's easy to have it along. Even on motorcycle trips. It takes down in 2 seconds with the longest part (the barrel) only 20". That makes it really easy to pack in a small suitcase, backpack, saddle bag, or non-tactical looking soft carrying case. Assembles again in about 2 seconds.

If I should be so unfortunate as to have to defend my life with a weapon, I'd prefer my initial rounds be 00 Buck, vs. single projectiles from a side arm. So when traveling, having the Coach Gun along (with a couple of side arms as well) gives that opportunity (when having a pump may be too cumbersome). That's the beauty of the Coach Gun.

The following pictures illustrate why the Coach Gun is so much better suited for travel:

Here's the Coach Gun in various conditions:

And a small, 22" carrying case:

pgrass101 and atctimmy like this.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

I have the Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme (in 12 ga) with the double trigger which is what I would prefer for HD to avoid 'two blasts' when I least expected it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thank you everyone. I was sure on the single trigger but I had no clue that with a hard pull you could get both barrels at once. And lets face it in a self defense situation the possibility of pulling the trigger hard is there. Thanks for the info. Two questions...is it easy with some training to manage the two triggers and where can you find the Tac Case at?
    IAFF 2623
    Everyone comes home!

Quote Originally Posted by moggie6 View Post
    Thank you everyone. I was sure on the single trigger but I had no clue that with a hard pull you could get both barrels at once. And lets face it in a self defense situation the possibility of pulling the trigger hard is there. Thanks for the info. Two questions...is it easy with some training to manage the two triggers and where can you find the Tac Case at?
    Here ya go (just ordered mine from here)

TAC Force T.T.S. 22" Soft Gun Case S86001 FREE S&H S86001, S86001-OD. TAC Force Gun Storage.

As for your Coach Gun, I would recommend one of the Supreme models so you'll have a nice padded buttstock from the get-go. Otherwise, you really will want to have a recoil pad installed on the base gun. Also, the two-trigger models should be all you choose from if your gun is for defense use. The single trigger models are noted for reliability problems.

Also... there are some gunsmith modifications that I very, very highly recommend:

• action tuning (smoothing/polishing) Makes the gun open and close very easily
    • chamber polishing - so you can eject the hulls by simply jerking back on the gun and dumping them out
    • disable the "auto-on" safety (so after reloading your gun is ready to fire. Safety will still work manually.
    • install recoil pad (if you do not buy one of the Supreme models which already has this)

The Coach Gun is a magnificent choice, I'm sure you will be totally thrilled with this gun! But they still do need a small amount of gunsmith tweaking to make them really perfect. These are not expensive modifications to have done.
    The clowns in government office see the solution to everything is write more laws, creating the ever-mounting morass of legal handicaps that we citizens must labor under.

STATE'S RIGHTS RULE and should be INVIOLATE. Feds butt out!

Quote Originally Posted by zippying View Post
    i just bought my stoeger 12 couch supreme yesterday i havent had a chance to get out all thow we going out 2maroo sunday but i have bin reading that the gun will shot both barlles at once it seems to b doing it only on new gun's so im not sure i will b back sunday to review this converstion so please come back and i'll let u no please do the same ur banging away zippying.
    Please use English in your posts. Most of us here, still speak it and write it as well.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!
    atctimmy likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

My wife has one. The compact size makes it real handy for defense purposes. The low capacity is a drawback, but with fast reloading capability of the break open shotgun I can live with low capacity.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

what's the difference

Quote Originally Posted by moggie6 View Post
    Does anyone have a stoeger coach gun/side by side with a single trigger? If so what do you think of it? How is it as a defensive weapon. I have a pump gun but would like to add the stoeger to the collection. I have not been able to read a review on the single trigger version of the shotgun. I do not want a double defense. The plan is to place it in the car for travel and keep it home when not traveling next to the bed.
    can some tell me if u can put steel shot threw a stoeger couch supreme shotgun ??? i read some ware ware it said don't do it im confused please help than u . zippying

Links