Mossberg 500 Home Defense - Setting It Up Question

Mossberg 500 Home Defense - Setting It Up Question

This is a discussion on Mossberg 500 Home Defense - Setting It Up Question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi everyone, I'm a big proponent of using shotguns (or as I like to call them "Crowd Pleasers") for home defense. Nothing like "racking" the ...

Question Mossberg 500 Home Defense - Setting It Up Question

Hi everyone,

I'm a big proponent of using shotguns (or as I like to call them "Crowd Pleasers") for home defense. Nothing like "racking" the slide on a pump to get a Bad Guy's attention! Everyone knows the sound from countless movies and I know I associate it with a shot immediately following the sound. Just the sound of "racking" the slide to drop round #1 into the chamber would I'm betting be a "scare off" for the intruder.

So with the above in mind and with a Mossberg 500 I recently retired from turkey hunting (I have an auto loader now) I am getting set up to use the shotgun for home defense.

When I had my Remington 1100 set up for the Steel Challenge shotgun match in 1986 (I placed 76th BTW ) with Choat stocks and an extended magazine, I had my gunsmith cut the barrel to the legal 18.5" length. When he did this he put an improved cylinder choke in it (choke tube permanently in place).

The barrel on my Mossberg is a 26" waterfowl hunting barrel with a full choke. Obviously 26" and a full choke is not any good for close in home defense. I'd like to avoid purchasing a new barrel if I can and having the shop to do it, I am considering cutting the 26" to 18.5" and leave it with an "open" choke, no need for an improved cylinder choke tube.

I know that was long, but what do you all think about not having a "choked" barrel at all in my "Crowd Pleaser"?

Thanks in advance for any advice! I will post some photos when I get it set up.

Mike
    Gun and Shooting Sports Nut, NRA, CCP, Glock 33 and lots of other guns!
    Peace Out!

Well I wouldn't see a problem with the open choke at the range you would be using it inside.

I wouldn't want to rack a round and let the BG know where I am. What if he has a partner you are unaware of ? And thinking it will automatically scare off the BG just cause he heard it , well lets just say I'm not going to assume that.

I'll try and keep surprise on my side instead.

My Advice:

Keep your existing mossberg configuration the way it is - Why - Its nice to have a waterfowl gun that has a 3" chamber - your 1100 is only chambered for 2-3/4"

Try to fing a Mossberg Maverick (cheaper copy of a 500) with 18.5" barrel - in Texas you can find them for around $169

Choked barrel - not important for home defense
    Barrel length - shorter is better for home defense

JMHO's

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Choked barrel - not important for home defense
    Barrel length - shorter is better for home defense

JMHO's

-
    Agreed. I use a mossberg 500 for HD. The only thing I added was a knoxx stock.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Thanks Everyone! I'm going to gunsmith the barrel to 18.5 no choke and add a magazine extension, possibly a Choat stock later when I have the $$.

Rigrat - You are right, I'll keep a round in the chamber. thanks!

Mike
    Peace Out!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeroesch View Post
    Thanks Everyone! I'm going to gunsmith the barrel to 18.5 no choke and add a magazine extension, possibly a Choat stock later when I have the $$.

Rigrat - You are right, I'll keep a round in the chamber. thanks!

Mike
    Peace Out!
    Mag extensions are a no can do on the Mossberg 500; you need to replace the entire mag tube, which means that you won't be able to use your existing barrel...you'd need to buy a 590 barrel.

If you want a higher capacity Mossberg, you'd be better off just getting a 590.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by mikeroesch View Post
    .......Rigrat - You are right, I'll keep a round in the chamber. thanks....

I know this has been debated many times, and I can agree with keeping one in the chamber when CCW'ing. But I must admit, I am a huge fan of empty chamber for home defense shottie.

Arguments in favor of HD shottie - empty chamber:

• 1) What happens if you come home and surprise a burglar, who has your shottie in his hand? You have better chance of survival, IMO, if the chamber is empty.

• 2) What happens if a kid or irresponsible person gets hold of your shottie? Chances of accident are greatly reduced with empty chamber. And yes, I realize proper storage is paramount, and in some cases, mandated by law. But accidents happen.

• 3) I am a big fan of the racking noise. It announces to the BG that you are formidably armed and ready for action. Plus, it gives the BG a chance to leave the premises without having to force a confrontation. What good does it do to sneak up on the BG? I would rather have him leave, and I gotta believe that he will (99.9% of the time anyway) leave when he hears the rack. It happened exactly this way for a close friend of mine. Someone broke into his home, he loudly racked his 12ga, and all he heard after that was the BG RUNNING away.

So, for a HD shottie, I remain convinced empty chamber is the best choice.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Links