AR15 schmifteen lets talk AR10

This is a discussion on AR15 schmifteen lets talk AR10 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay.. There are so many different kinds of vendors whom all have the best thing. However of the owners club here I would like to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 schmifteen lets talk AR10

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar

AR15 schmifteen lets talk AR10

Okay..

There are so many different kinds of vendors whom all have the best thing.

However of the owners club here I would like to see some post about their AR10 or 30cal variant of the wonderful AR platform.

Im gonna get a 10 soon so a picture thread might help more than just me.... thanks !
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I've checked them all out and I settled on the Rock River LAR-8.

Twenty inch barrel for long range, two stage trigger that is pretty nice,quad rail,different stock.Unfortunatley I was told it'll be another 5-6 months.

Rock River Arms: products/pu308stdop.gif
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

DPMS makes great guns... buddy just got the LR243 as a new long range varmit gun..

uses SR25 mags... now that Pmag makes them, they are CHEAP and easy to find...

just replace the trigger with a rock river 2 stage and your all set..

I picked up a DPMS Sportical .308 about a year ago, and have to say I'm quite impressed with it, especially considering it's about as base model as you can get; 16", no sights (sports a Trijicon Accupoint now), no dust cover or forward assist (The dust cover...could be nice; the forward assist I don't miss), and an inexpensive collapsable (which is going to get replaced by a PRS as soon as I pick up an A2 tube).

At 100 yards, I've gotten about 1.5" groups using 147gr Aussie surplus FMJ; 150gr Winchester Power Points are a little closer to 2", and 150gr Barnes TSX (Federal Vital-Shok) will come in at just a hair over 1".

A few buddy's have the bull-barreled LR308's; these rifles are surprisingly accurate right out of the box. And, fwiw, I've yet to experience an issue with my DPMS, and I've yet to hear my friends have any issues with theirs.

Add in that 20rd PMags are plentiful and work great (and are even cheaper than the C-Products mags!)...I rather like the DPMS.

On the other hand...a buddy has a Knights SR-25. All I can say is wow. But for over 2k more than the DPMS...heck, I can get the DPMS and a Nightforce for less...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    An "associate" of mine, who has to have everything, picked up an AR-10 and promptly cried about how hard it kicked. Even bought a Lead Sled to sight it in. But then he cries about everthing. One of those "never happy" guys.

For hunting, I'd definitely take it over an AR-15. For HS/SD, not so much. At the longer ranges where the .308 takes advantage, defense isn't a big concern.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    An "associate" of mine, who has to have everything, picked up an AR-10 and promptly cried about how hard it kicked. Even bought a Lead Sled to sight it in. But then he cries about everthing. One of those "never happy" guys.

For hunting, I'd definitely take it over an AR-15. For HS/SD, not so much. At the longer ranges where the .308 takes advantage, defense isn't a big concern.
    Thank you all for your input thus far.

OldVet, I do not have any intention of using for HD. I have my 1911 and my Shotty for that. I would never use a really high power rifle such as a .308 for defense of my home. I do not want to take out 3 houses in a row with a stray. My 12 gauge goes as far as the wall and thats about it. Dont get me wrong I would use it if my life absolutely depended on it though. I do have my AR with Hornady TAP Hollows in a full 30rd Pmag hidden in a special place in case I need it.

I just like guns period. I would love to own a 30cal AR platform to add to my collection.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I've checked them all out and I settled on the Rock River LAR-8.

Twenty inch barrel for long range, two stage trigger that is pretty nice,quad rail,different stock.Unfortunatley I was told it'll be another 5-6 months.

Rock River Arms: products/pu308stdop.gif

How is the build quality on this? Can the RRA handle the Nato M80 and M118

I dont want to get DPMS just due to my fanatical belief in milspec tolerances etc...

What about Armalite? Is their cost worth it? Is their build quality any good?

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post

I dont want to get DPMS just due to my fanatical belief in milspec tolerances etc...

AFAIK, the only Milspec .308 AR out there is the Knight's SR-25...and you pay for it (when you can even find one).

Armalites are nice rifles; they use a different magazine than all the other .308 AR's, though (no Pmags, at least at this time).

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have an Eagle Arms AR10 A3(Armalite),I put a RRA 2 stage trigger in it and topped it off with a 16 power scope It takes converted M14 mags,I believe regular M14 mags would work but wouldn't have the action locked back on last round
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Thank you all for your input thus far.

OldVet, I do not have any intention of using for HD. I have my 1911 and my Shotty for that. I would never use a really high power rifle such as a .308 for defense of my home. I do not want to take out 3 houses in a row with a stray. My 12 gauge goes as far as the wall and thats about it. Dont get me wrong I would use it if my life absolutely depended on it though. I do have my AR with Hornady TAP Hollows in a full 30rd Pmag hidden in a special place in case I need it.

I just like guns period. I would love to own a 30cal AR platform to add to my collection.
    I wasn't questioning your intent (since you didn't state your intent), only stating that the .308 wouldn't have much more in the way of HD except at longer rnages (200 yds +). Neither is the best choice in HD' a good shotgun is better. But don't kid yourself that walls stop SGs, unles yours is concrete/cinderblock.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I wasn't questioning your intent (since you didn't state your intent), only stating that the .308 wouldn't have much more in the way of HD except at longer rnages (200 yds +). Neither is the best choice in HD' a good shotgun is better. But don't kid yourself that walls stop SGs, unles yours is concrete/cinderblock.
    Oh haha I wasnt being mean.

You have great points. Thanks!

Senior Moderator
    It looked good to me. The one I shot was shooting belted .308 that we delinked and shot. No problems at all.

I wont have anything without a foward assist.

Armalites are good but the mags are anywhere from 40-60 a pop. The RR uses both metric and standard mags that the L1A1's use that are alot cheaper and easier to get.

As for milspec ammo, every .308 that I've seen will shoot it. I dont know what the big hangup is, because they are all sized to shoot everything.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It looked good to me. The one I shot was shooting belted .308 that we delinked and shot. No problems at all.

I wont have anything without a foward assist.

Armalites are good but the mags are anywhere from 40-60 a pop. The RR uses both metric and standard mags that the L1A1's use that are alot cheaper and easier to get.
    As for milspec ammo, every .308 that I've seen will shoot it. I dont know what the big hangup is, because they are all sized to shoot everything.

Isn't the RR based off the old Bushmaster .308? IIRC, it also used FAL mags...

I have about 12 mags for my 556 AR I would imagine getting at least that many for the 30cal ar.

Hrrm I like the PMAG 762 mags. I just found that LaRue is offering a 308 now. Anyone have anything bad to say about LaRue out of TX?
    Last edited by tangoseal; May 3rd, 2010 at 12:09 AM.

I have about 12 mags for my 556 AR I would imagine getting at least that many for the 30cal ar.

Hrrm I like the PMAG 7 mags. I just found that LaRue is offering a 308 now. Anyone have anything bad to say about LaRue out of TX?
    Nothing out of me.

I've got two of their scope mounts...one on an Aimpoint, the other on a Trijicon...they make good stuff.

I've never had any contact with their rifles...but I would expect nothing but the best out of them...and, quite possibly prices to rival KAC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links