Saiga 410 for home defense

This is a discussion on Saiga 410 for home defense within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does anyone here use a Saiga semi auto in 410 for home defense?I do and I use 3 inch slugs.You can fire off 5 shots ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saiga 410 for home defense

Saiga 410 for home defense

Does anyone here use a Saiga semi auto in 410 for home defense?I do and I use 3 inch slugs.You can fire off 5 shots in no time at all.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

2. Remove Ads

If I didn't already own one, I'd buy a Saiga carbine in 7.62 x 39 or 5.45 x 39 instead.

I'm not so hot on the Saiga in .410. Feeding-wise, the rifle is more reliable and postive. Saiga shotguns WILL fire out of battery, obtw.

I've played with and fired 12 gauge Saiga "Krinkovs" full auto and think with them loaded with buckshot, you might have something.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I have a Saiga 12 gauge, not the 410. The 410 slug would, I guess, do ok for home defense. I don't use my Saiga for home defense, as I don't want the damage to our walls that a 12 gauge could cause, my XD45 is my primary home defense weapon. I do keep a pistol grip shotgun by the bed as a back up, or if I think it's needed given the situation.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

I was informed by a salesman at Wally World theother day that a 410 is all youneed for HD due to the new round developed for the Judge. LOL Ill make mine 12 gauge
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

The new SD rounds doo look interesting though. Disks PLUS a small slug. Have'm in 12 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    The new SD rounds doo look interesting though. Disks PLUS a small slug. Have'm in 12 as well.
    New? What's new about "dime loads?"

The Box O' Truth #35 - A Load of Dimes Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

The disks are a waste of time.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think the .410 HD rounds would be effective in a "in-home" situation. Those who doubt that should take one at room distance and see if they want seconds. I want to disable a BG, not necessarily blow him to smithereens. Those who think that's what they want will have second thoughts if they ever have to.

The .410 rounds are about the same ballistically as a .38 Spec., only in shotgun form. Like any other SD round, it has its limitations.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think the .410 HD rounds would be effective in a "in-home" situation. Those who doubt that should take one at room distance and see if they want seconds. I want to disable a BG, not necessarily blow him to smithereens. Those who think that's what they want will have second thoughts if they ever have to.

The .410 rounds are about the same ballistically as a .38 Spec., only in shotgun form. Like any other SD round, it has its limitations.
    Actually a 135gr+p gold dot offers a diameter of ~.5" with penetration of ~13" vs .41 and ~10" for a .410 slug. The .38 does that out of a 2" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    New? What's new about "dime loads?"

The Box O' Truth #35 - A Load of Dimes Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1

The disks are a waste of time.
    Those are dimes, not disks. The 410 PDX loads combine 3 "thicker than a dime" disks and 12 BB shot pellets. As the dimes/disks get thicker, they would start mimicking slugs. And slugs are typically > buckshot when it comes to power/penetration.

Now the PDX ammo may still be crap. It's too new to get good reviews, but it's still interesting.

Ok, I'll play. Let me rephrase: You cannot stuff anything in a .410 round that will ever be better than shooting just about anything else.

Take an AK action, put a straight sided round in it, that is much more ineffective than the round it's designed for.

Why???

OldVet - If you shoot someone, using deadly force, but don't think the situation warrants deadly force, that is called "murder" in most jurisdications. With that mindset, you will end up dead long before the bad guy is disabled.

Yeah I don't know about using the .410 as an HD gun. Might be (somewhat) passable with slugs, but there are definitely better choices than that.

I am considering the Saiga .410 as a H/D weapon too. So far, the price has been the downside.
    How was yours out of the box? Reliable? Do you leave it loaded? Have any of the shells deformed from being under spring tension?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Ok, I'll play. Let me rephrase: You cannot stuff anything in a .410 round that will ever be better than shooting just about anything else.

Take an AK action, put a straight sided round in it, that is much more ineffective than the round it's designed for.

Why???

OldVet - If you shoot someone, using deadly force, but don't think the situation warrants deadly force, that is called "murder" in most jurisdications. With that mindset, you will end up dead long before the bad guy is disabled.
    I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree, considering the situation the OP asked about, namely home defense, which to me is someone who has entered my house and is standing across the room or closer. There may be time for only one shot. Do you wish to risk it on a single projectile, regardless of caliber--that may or may not disable the BG--or do you want to send multiple projectiles, which may compensate for poor aim, adrenelin, etc.--that may or may not disable the BG?

Just because you carry a firearm doesn't mean you have to kill with it. The mere appearance of a weapon in the hands of intended victims is often enough to end the threat against them. Pulling the trigger should always be the last resort.

Here in Florida, whether or not you kill someone or intend to kill someone who has entered your home is irrelevant. You have the right to defend yourself--up to and/or including using deadly force.

For outside the home, the .410 is obviously not the best choice, but again, if BG's outside and I'm inside, the threat of death/serious harm is greatly reduced as is the need for defense.

My mindset is: I don't want to "kill" anyone I don't have to--but I will IF necessary. If that causes you concern, I worry about your state of mind.

Keep your head down and morale up till you get out of there--and thanks for standing tall when so many others won't.
    OldVet
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    If I were going to use a .410 for HD, I would opt for a pistol of pistol caliber carbine.

I perfer a M1 carbine for HD, I can fire faster and with greater accuarcy with than I can with a shotgun
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree, considering the situation the OP asked about, namely home defense, which to me is someone who has entered my house and is standing across the room or closer. There may be time for only one shot. Do you wish to risk it on a single projectile, regardless of caliber--that may or may not disable the BG--or do you want to send multiple projectiles, which may compensate for poor aim, adrenelin, etc.--that may or may not disable the BG?
    I have doubts at how big a spread you're going to get at typical in-house distances. Therefore, you're just shooting a guy with several ineffective projectiles that hit at the same time, in the same place.

Just because you carry a firearm doesn't mean you have to kill with it. The mere appearance of a weapon in the hands of intended victims is often enough to end the threat against them. Pulling the trigger should always be the last resort.
    I'm a big fan of graduated response as well. But when I pull the trigger, I want it to be as effective as I can.

Here in Florida, whether or not you kill someone or intend to kill someone who has entered your home is irrelevant. You have the right to defend yourself--up to and/or including using deadly force.

For outside the home, the .410 is obviously not the best choice, but again, if BG's outside and I'm inside, the threat of death/serious harm is greatly reduced as is the need for defense.

My mindset is: I don't want to "kill" anyone I don't have to--but I will IF necessary. If that causes you concern, I worry about your state of mind.

Keep your head down and morale up till you get out of there--and thanks for standing tall when so many others won't.
    OldVet
    Thank you for the sentiment. This war is funny, in that so many of us are older. I'm no Billy Waugh, but I turn 47 over here in a bit over 6 months. This one has to be a record for average age of folks deployed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links