AR Charged or Not?

AR Charged or Not?

This is a discussion on AR Charged or Not? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For those who use theri AR as a home defense weapon, do you keep it charged or not? To me it seems that to have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Charged or Not?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

AR Charged or Not?

For those who use theri AR as a home defense weapon, do you keep it charged or not? To me it seems that to have to charge the weapon when a situation arises not only takes time but is rather noisy. I leave mine charged with the safety on. Just curious what others think.

VIP Member
    If you live alone or have a way of securing it out of reach/sight/mind of kids and visitors should be ok. Yes if you had charge it before using it would be noisy but the time factor would be nothing.
    When I am at home some type of long gun, shotgun or rifle, is loaded with a magazine or mag tube full but the chamber empty but I would not normaly use a long gun to search or clear the house either.
    All up to you just keep it away from those who dont need it and have a desire to play with it adults and kids.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I keep mine with the magazine in, empty chamber, weapon on safe.

If I need a rifle, it's because I've fought to it with my pistol...and it will already be noisy.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

My AR15 isn't kept for a HD rifle, it's mainly used as a predator dispatcher in these parts. I keep a 20 round fully loaded magazine in, chamber empty, with the safety on.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Living in a townhouse, I don't really keep any of my long guns ready for HD; I am definitely in a pistol-sized house.

Nonetheless, I have considered this, and I would go for chamber empty for either rifle or shotgun. Simply put, if the bad guys are so close that I don't have time to rack the bolt, then I am at pistol distances anyway. The long gun is for sitting put and waiting in case the bad guys get that far.

With shotguns, although you might use them at room distances, you have the additional issue of most of them not being drop safe, so the empty chamber is particularly for protection against inertia discharges.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Like many on here, I keep it magazine inserted (and another right next to it), chamber empty, safety on. Then again, it's not a primary HD gun. The 870 I keep as an HD shotgun is kept the same way though. Personally I am not worried about the noise because when it comes time to use it, the noise coming right behind the chambering will be more of a factor. :)
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I kept mine with magazine in, chamber empty. this was just the way i was trained to have it unless in the 'hot' area while i was in the military. If you have a round in the chamber with an AR-15/M-16/M-4 and drop it the right or wrong way it will fire and that will make for a bad day.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

I don't have mine readied as a "primary" home defense weapon. That job is left to my shotgun and handguns. I keep mine in a AR tactical bag with four 30 round mags full. I plan on doubling that to 8 mags and maybe thousand rounds in ready just on the extreme outside chance society should come unraveled right before my eyes.
    Kholster/Glock 17/Rugar SR9c/Bersa 380CC/Ruger LCR/SW 624/ SW 629
    Doublestar Star 15 M4 5.56 / Mossberg 500 Tactical Persuader

I don't even call it violence when it's in self defense; I call it intelligence
    Malcolm X

Empty chamber AND safety on.....Seems like compounding the possibility for manipulation error/failure to me.

If I am counting on it for defense it is "Locked And Loaded" and I do live where a long gun could be needed. While over here the wife has an M-1 carbine next to the bed that is kept with jungle clipped 30 round mags with hollow points, chambered and safety on (no kiddies in the house).

Well, since my "AR" is a dedicated .22lr, it doesn't even have a mag inserted in it, let alone have a round chambered. 4 loaded magazines are stored with it however, in the off chance I'm ever invaded by rabid squirrels.

My go-to long gun for home defense is a Beretta Cx4, chambered in 9mm, & loaded with 20 rounds of 115 grain fmj currently, and 5 20 round magazines stored with it. It's stored chamber empty, magazine inserted, safety off. Neighbors aren't a great concern of mine, as every entrance to my house has acres of woods to serve as a backdrop, and it's a brick home, so less chance of a round "escaping" no matter what direction I shoot in inside of the home.

I'm also one of those who believes in using a pistol to fight to your rifle/carbine, so stored with it is a Glock 33 round "happy stick" for my G17 as well.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I keep a loaded 20 round mag for mine. I wouldn't leave it charged personally, as it is not drop safe and as others have indicated, I would only be using it if something has gone very wrong and my pistol isn't going to cut it.

my Bushmaster is my primary HD i keep it loaded with a 30 round clip with the chamber empty and the safety off, i keep it in the safe mostly and use my 9mm till i get to the safe and get the Bushmaster out then i holster my 9mm and charge the charging handle and its ready to defend!
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

I keep my AR and Shotgun set up "Cruiser Ready".

If I need either weapon faster or quicker than that then it's not the weapon I need anyway. While their is the possibility of "manipulation error" I think the chance of a safety error is greater not having them placed in "cruiser ready" status.

CRUISER READY
    Chamber Empty
    Safety On

When danger is imminent I will make ready the weapon and load the chamber.

Biker

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Really, how long does it take to pull/release the charge handle?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I keep mine with the magazine in, empty chamber, weapon on safe.

If I need a rifle, it's because I've fought to it with my pistol...and it will already be noisy.
    I've never understood this. You're going to conduct a planned withdrawal to your rifle using your pistol? Chances are the fight is going to start and end so fast this isn't an option, so why not just have the rifle in the first place? Assuming that's a viable option, of course.

My AR resides at the side of my bed in condition 1. It will be the first thing I grab should someone enter my residence in an unwelcome manner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links