AR Ammunition Warning

This is a discussion on AR Ammunition Warning within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The main issue with sticky chambers after using Steel cased ammo wasn't exactly the coating on the chambers, but more the fact that steel is ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AR Ammunition Warning

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    The main issue with sticky chambers after using Steel cased ammo wasn't exactly the coating on the chambers, but more the fact that steel is a bit harder than brass, so the case wouldn't expand as much. and there would be the fouling buildup around the jacket. Which was fine, until one decided to switch back to brass cased rounds in the same shooting session.

Wolf/brown bear/silver bear are all good to go despite the issue with warranties.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    We are not talking about handloading here in this tread until now but I have been hand loading for 25 years, and sure with many calibers its more than worth the time and effort. If I am shooting for bench rest accuracy or hunting ammo I hand load, if not I often buy the inexpensive loaded ammo for plinking and general range time or competition shooting. My time is worth a lot to me also and when you shoot as much as I do which often is 8-10 times a month or more you cannot hand load for all your needs. This tread is not about a hand loading VS commerical ammo issue anyway, its about the advantages or disadvantages of steel cased ammo and the effects on your rifle and budget. And the bottom line is most casual shooters do not "roll their own" or even want to, or have the time and space to set up for it so they are looking for economical ways to keep shooting and/or shoot more for less. So the point here is steel cased ammo even with the short commings is very cost effect and in the 35 years I have been shooting semiauto rifles well worth the slightly extra cleaning time and has never caused any damage to a firearm I own. As far as reloading, 5 to 8 times for reloading quality centerfire rifle brass is more realistic IMO.
    Respectfully disagree on many point, but I shall render thoughts to myself.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yes, reloading is cheaper--IF you ignore the initial investment in all the equipment you end up buying to do so. It takes a while to break even and most shooters aren't going to invest that amount or the time when "cheap" factory ammo is available on the shelves.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Some people will never see the full benefits of loading their own ammunition, mainly because the value they try to place on their time. That's OK. I make a living making ammunition for people like that.:)
    l1a1 likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Buy a .22LR bolt and some blackdog mags.

Save brass case .223/5.56 for training classes and "game time" and practice with .22LR

I prefer brass cased ammunition in all my firearms and refuse to put steel cased ammunition in any of my guns. You paid $800-1,000+ for the weapon and you're going to run the cheapest ammunition you can find through it? Doesn't make sense to me which is why I use quality brass cased ammunition. That being said, many AR owners shoot Wolf steel case ammunition in their guns without much issue.
    I'm with Tubby on this one.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    I got a ton of wolf 223 for my SHTF ammo.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

I run the wolf through my Romanian AK, no problems so far. I don't want to put it in my AR though, too many stories of extractors dying early deaths for me to try it...

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I run the wolf through my Romanian AK, no problems so far. I don't want to put it in my AR though, too many stories of extractors dying early deaths for me to try it...
    I’ve had yet to actually meet one. Or to meet a person that had one fail due to steel cased ammo.

Even if it were true…calculate the cost savings from Wolf ammo verses the cost of a new extractor. I know some would say, you don’t want the extractor failing in that moment of crisis, but say you proactively replaced your extractor every few thousand rounds of Wolf (which would be overkill). You would still be way ahead in $, and you would be ahead in extractor reliability, because there is no way steel ammo would wear the extractor that fast (if at all).

Or swap you extractor before you have a Wolf range session and have a dedicated steel ammo extractor. It would only take a few minutes and would save you a bunch of $.

The only trouble I have with Wolf is an occasional failure to feed due to lower power. But that gives me a chance to practice getting my rifle back into action after a stoppage. Something I never get to do with higher quality ammo.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I’ve had yet to actually meet one. Or to meet a person that had one fail due to steel cased ammo.

Even if it were true…calculate the cost savings from Wolf ammo verses the cost of a new extractor. I know some would say, you don’t want the extractor failing in that moment of crisis, but say you proactively replaced your extractor every few thousand rounds of Wolf (which would be overkill). You would still be way ahead in $, and you would be ahead in extractor reliability, because there is no way steel ammo would wear the extractor that fast (if at all).

Or swap you extractor before you have a Wolf range session and have a dedicated steel ammo extractor. It would only take a few minutes and would save you a bunch of $.

The only trouble I have with Wolf is an occasional failure to feed due to lower power. But that gives me a chance to practice getting my rifle back into action after a stoppage. Something I never get to do with higher quality ammo.
    Nor have I...in fact, the only extractor failure that I've ever seen that was directly related to ammo was with my buddy's 7.5" SBR running Santa Barbera (Spanish, iirc) surplus...soft cases lead to poor extraction, and he busted his extractor after less than 100 rounds...

He now runs Wolf exclusively through his SBR, has put thousands of rounds through it, not a single issue.

I've got a couple cases worth; I like it plenty.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Yes, most manufacturers will not honor warranty if you fire Wolf or any other steel case ammunition in your firearm. Same for reloaded ammunition whether personal or commercially remanufactured.

hi point will

Hi point HAS to, if it did'nt, nobody would buy one
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

I wonder if the reason more failures seem to be with wolf ammo is because wolf ammo is being used alot more because of it's price??
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Quote Originally Posted by bomber View Post
    hi point will
    So will Thompson Center.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    That's because its an internet myth! The steel used in the ammo cases is much softer than the steel in the extractor. Wolf will run just fine in any AR and agian as I stated earlier if you shoot 5K rounds a year, the savings with add up to over $1000 after two years and thats a lot of ammo or a new rifle every two years.

I have been shooting steel cased ammo in milsurp rifles and handguns for 30 years and also in AK's, SKS's, Mini 30 and AR's........Never an issue in any of these guns and that's with 10's of thousands of rounds fired over the 30 year period. This is the facts Jack!
    But hey if you are one of those who think steel ammo will cause an issue in your rifle just don't shoot it, it leaves more for those of us who have a clue!

Let me repeat since some don't read through all the posts:
    Even the cheap brass cased .223 like PMC Bronze which is made in Korea cost approximately .34 a round or $340 per 1000. Wolf costs around .22 a round or $215 per $1000. If you shoot 5K rounds a year you save $625 x 2 years of ammo is $1250......oh look a very nice new rifle every two years. Its well worth it!
    Last edited by pirate; May 15th, 2010 at 12:03 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links