AR Ammunition Warning - Page 3

AR Ammunition Warning

This is a discussion on AR Ammunition Warning within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Tubby45 Some people will never see the full benefits of loading their own ammunition, mainly because the value they try to place ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AR Ammunition Warning

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Some people will never see the full benefits of loading their own ammunition, mainly because the value they try to place on their time. That's OK. I make a living making ammunition for people like that.:)
    OK, you piqued my curiosity. I may be one of those folks. Actually I do not know anyone I trust that reloads to teach me and I am not ready to go down that path alone without some hands on tutoring. Can you tell me your prices per thousand and what option are available. Please, PM me the info if that would be more appropriate per forum rules and decorum
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I don't and won't shoot steel cased ammo in my AR's as they are built for XTC competition. The ammo we are talking about here is not accurate enough and Kreiger cut riffled barrels cost way too much to take any chance with so I roll my own. This is not to say that if I had an AR for CQB only I would be adverse to using steel cased ammo in it. I most likely would to some degree and save my good components for comp loads. I and many competitors I know shoot nothing but MAX loads and I must agree I have never seen a broken extractor...
    I have seen many rims ripped off the case but the extractor was always the winner hands down...

Now the spring under the extractor will get tired and I don't let in place for more than 6,000 rounds. When this happens it just leaves the empty in the rifle. Replace the spring and back in business.

I can't believe a GI spec. extractor would break before it pulled the rim off even with a steel case. If you are breaking extractors something else must be wrong with the rifle.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Administrator
    Welcome to another exciting episode of "QK REMEMBERS"

Well, the "way back when" original problem with Steel Cased Wolf was the protective lacquer that Wolf initially used on the steel cartridge cases.

It would soften up and stick in a hot barrel chamber and cause all sorts of function related and extraction problems.

I believe that Wolf has long since rectified that early problematic occurrence.

I don't shoot any Wolf so I have no idea what is going on with Wolf ammo these days.

Our agency and the county sheriff do not allow Wolf Ammo in any caliber on our indoor or outdoor ranges. To many bad reports on steel case ammo. That said the local Gander Mountain sells a ton of it.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Our agency and the county sheriff do not allow Wolf Ammo in any caliber on our indoor or outdoor ranges. To many bad reports on steel case ammo. That said the local Gander Mountain sells a ton of it.
    Bad reports, of what that could negatively effect the range? Typically its only because when they sweep up the cases during the day they do not want it mixed in with the brass cases so they do not have to sort it out to sell the brass.

No offense to you here but this is what I have been talking about, its nothing more than hear say and completely unsubstantiated claims that have no bases in facts. I heard this, or read that somewhere or somebody told me..........Its a myth started by mainly US ammo makers in an attempt to keep people from buying the inexpensive steel cased ammo. Is steel cased ammo as good as quality brass cased ammo? IMO no its not as accurate and its smelly and dirtier overall and not as consistant, but it cost 30-40 percent less and for general plinking fun and range shooting its more than good enough. The Eastern Europeans, Russians, Chinese and many other countries have been using it for over 50 years and its not caused them any major issues and it out sells brass cased ammo world wide for a reason, its inexpensive and it works.
    Last edited by pirate; May 15th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I will never use Wolf or any other foreign made ammo unless needs be on my Rock River Arms LAR-15 "Entry Tactical" rifle. Other than that, I just use PMC FMJs in .223. On some occasions, I also use Remington FMJs in 5.56 since my M-4 style rifle is chambered in both those calibers. Other than that, not one single malfunction and I have already fired over 1400 rds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    I will never use Wolf or any other foreign made ammo unless needs be on my Rock River Arms LAR-15 "Entry Tactical" rifle. Other than that, I just use PMC FMJs in .223. On some occasions, I also use Remington FMJs in 5.56 since my M-4 style rifle is chambered in both those calibers. Other than that, not one single malfunction and I have already fired over 1400 rds.
    FYI PMC is mostly made in Korea. A good AR should have no issues shooting Wolf, Tula, etc as long as it's lubed properly. Occasionally a buffer change or extractor O-ring change will be needed, on account that it is a little weaker.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I know there are a lot of myths out there however, speaking from First hand experience. I work at a range part time on the weekends, on a busy Saturday we can have anywhere from 2-3 times a day, a stuck case in an AR platform. 90% of the time the stuck case turns out to Wolf.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I know there are a lot of myths out there however, speaking from First hand experience. I work at a range part time on the weekends, on a busy Saturday we can have anywhere from 2-3 times a day, a stuck case in an AR platform. 90% of the time the stuck case turns out to Wolf.
    Ok, the real issue here is this......is the use of steel cased ammo worth while since it costs around 40% less than brass cased ammo. I am not talking about reloads either, the discussion concerns factory loaded ammo. I say yes it is. Its not as good as brass cased ammo on the whole but it does not damage your AR. I would put up with a stuck case every 1000 rounds....thats what a .223/.556 shell extractor is made for. One should be in everybody's range kit anyway. pop it out and keep shooting, It will not damage the rifle. We are talking about plinking and range ammo not tactical/combat use ammo here. I have personally shot some thing on the order of 15K-20K rounds of Wolf ammo and never had any issues with it damaging a firearm in any way. I think after 15K rounds I can safely say I trust it in my guns. And since I am saving on average $525 per 5K rounds using the steel cased ammo for plinking and range use its well worth it.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Oh/Oops

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    FYI PMC is mostly made in Korea. A good AR should have no issues shooting Wolf, Tula, etc as long as it's lubed properly. Occasionally a buffer change or extractor O-ring change will be needed, on account that it is a little weaker.
    Thanks for the insight. So far, PMC has worked very superb. To redefine, I will never use any foreign ammo other than PMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Thanks for the insight. So far, PMC has worked very superb. To redefine, I will never use any foreign ammo other than PMC.
    I guess you did'nt read post #12

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    This battle comes up every so often and you can tell who the shooters are.
    Back in World War II our most dependable pistol the 1911 used 45 acp in steel
    casings because there wasn't enough brass, copper to go around and steel was cheaper.Remember the steel pennies ? We've all watched the documentaries showing the muddy conditions our troops fought under on both
    fronts and the steel casings worked fine.

The Pirate knows his stuff.
    Friends Don't Let Friends Buy Century!

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...attention.htmlPersonal experience with Wolf ammo in the AR.

I'm sure it's a rare experience, and it really only affects the AR platform. I'll feed it to my AK, but never again to the AR.

As far as the warranty, if you're shooting crazy stuff (e.g. max pressure rounds) it will be quite evident when you send it in for service. However, if you reload carefully to factory-like specifications..... who's going to know?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...attention.htmlPersonal experience with Wolf ammo in the AR.

I'm sure it's a rare experience, and it really only affects the AR platform. I'll feed it to my AK, but never again to the AR.
    Sounds like a bit more than just internet myth, even if not a common occurrence definitely info worth taking under consideration. Thanks
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links