AR Ammunition Warning

This is a discussion on AR Ammunition Warning within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've found this to be really good information on running steel cased ammo in an AR. Shouldn't be a problem if your rifle is built ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AR Ammunition Warning

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    I've found this to be really good information on running steel cased ammo in an AR. Shouldn't be a problem if your rifle is built well:

Tacticalyellowvisor.net
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    AR parts are cheap. I don't think it to be unsafe.
    I agree. My advice is to shoot it and have some fun. It's not like steel cased ammo is hardened steel. it's more like soup can steel. Buy a spare extractor and firing pin if you are nervous. personally, i have never had a problem with Wolf and find it to be a good value for bang-bang weekenders.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Literally MILLIONS of rounds of WOLF in
    7.62x39 and .223 have been sold to U.S.
    shooters over the last few years.

It can be found for sale in almost every gunstore and discount sporting goods store.

Wolf ammo may not be "high performance"
    or "premium" but it is reasonably priced and safe to use in any good condition modern firearm.

When a Firearms MFG. Co. won't warrant their products for use with FACTORY COMMERCIAL Ammunition I have to ask myself the following question...

What's wrong with their guns?

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Yes, most manufacturers will not honor warranty if you fire Wolf or any other steel case ammunition in your firearm. Same for reloaded ammunition whether personal or commercially remanufactured.

I prefer brass cased ammunition in all my firearms and refuse to put steel cased ammunition in any of my guns. You paid $800-1,000+ for the weapon and you're going to run the cheapest ammunition you can find through it? Doesn't make sense to me which is why I use quality brass cased ammunition. That being said, many AR owners shoot Wolf steel case ammunition in their guns without much issue.

Side note, Wolf is in Russia so good luck with customer service if something goes wrong.
    Wolf is located in Placentia, California, with a California area code......

Can anyone tell what kind of ammo has been used in a gun? How could they void a warranty when they don't have any idea what ammo you've used?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 45LUVR View Post
    Wolf is located in Placentia, California, with a California area code......
    That may be their US based office, but the factories themselves are in Russia.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I personally have shot 10's of thousands of rounds of steel cased ammo in many different handguns and rifles, including AR's and have never had one single issue in any firearm. The steel used in the cases of Wolf and other Russian made ammo is very soft, far softer than your extractor. Other than the dirty factor of this ammo its not an issue. I just purchased a S&W M&P15R in 5.45x39 and you can beat I will be shooting cheap steel cased Wolf and milsurp. Not the least be concerned since I clean my firearms after each session.

Wolf ammunition is no longer made with a lacquer coating on the cartridge casing due to issues relating to lacquer coated steel cases getting stuck in the chamber of some rifles causing difficulty in ejecting the spent cartridges. This issue was more of a problem with cartridges with narrowly tapering walls like .556/.223 than those with steep case walls like 7.62x39 mm ammo or pistol ammunition.

Steel cased Wolf ammo cases do not expand sufficiently to form a complete gas seal against the chamber when compared to brass-cased ammunition. Its very soft steel but not as soft as brass. Thats why its dirty and tougher to clean but its poses no safety issues.

Good read here
    The Box O' Truth - Educational Zone #18 - Shooting Wolf steel-cased Ammo in an AR15
    Amen brother! Thank you for taking the time to post this as I was working down the thread and was getting ready to. It's just silly that people believe this crap they read on the internet. Having shot thousands of rounds out of AK's and AR's with steel cased ammo it's almost laughable.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    I think you are missing the point. It is a "limited" warranty and they want to disqualify as many rifles as possible.
    They probably get some kind of deal on ammo from somebody other than Wolf.
    If a warranty means something to you, better check it out before you make your purchase.

Hey gents, keep those negative steel cased ammo rumors going!! It sure helps keep the price point down for Pirate and I when we go buy in bulk, then get to spend hours at the range shooting, then buy new ARs with the cost savings even when we don't need them!

Seriously, never had an issue and I always have a broken shell extractor and cleaning rod in my range bag just in case.

Oh, and the whole "American manufacturers would never do such a thing" attitude.... Check out Hornady steel cased ammo. Yeah, that just happened.

VIP Member
    I love to shoot steel cased in the winter. That way I don't worry about losing brass in the snow. I don't think I ever had a problem with Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    OK, you piqued my curiosity. I may be one of those folks. Actually I do not know anyone I trust that reloads to teach me and I am not ready to go down that path alone without some hands on tutoring. Can you tell me your prices per thousand and what option are available. Please, PM me the info if that would be more appropriate per forum rules and decorum
    Wish I could help out, but I only sell to local customers here in Michigan. I don't do mail order or Internet sales. I only reload customer brass. I clean, inspect, and reload with 55gr FMJ and I charge $250 per thousand. I don't exchange brass, customers get their exact brass back as ammunition.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Amen brother! Thank you for taking the time to post this as I was working down the thread and was getting ready to. It's just silly that people believe this crap they read on the internet. Having shot thousands of rounds out of AK's and AR's with steel cased ammo it's almost laughable.
    This tread does make me laugh at some people's attitude and lack of common sense.... sure if the price point was the same I think we all would want to shoot brass cased ammo as opposed to steel. But the price point is far from the same and if you shoot a lot like I do and would rather send time shooting rather than rolling .223 ammo for just plinking purposes, using steel cased ammo not only saves you money but saves my very valuable free time for shooting rather than standing in my garage pulling the handle or paying inflated ammo prices for brass cased ammo. I guess it depends on if you reload for precision and quality, and not just for quantity purposes. What's the value of an hour of your off work free time? Only you can answer that but 3-4 hours of my free time is worth at least $75-100 to me and if you add that to the reloading cost (time + materials) you are not saving anything IMO. But to each his on, make yourself happy that's all that counts.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

The local rifle range has more steel cases on the ground than gravel, if it was junk this wouldnt happen.
    Guns don't kill people, Guns save Lives.

If you want peace, prepare for war

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It's pretty much common knowledge among the AR crowd that Wolf and similar stuff can cause problems. ARs seem to be more sensitive to it, whereas SKS' and AKs seem to gobble it up with no problems at all. I got the same warning verbally from American Spirit Arms (the original ASA) when I bought my first AR 6 years ago.

That said, running 200 rounds of Wolf though an AR of any manufacture is not a death sentence. Your gun won't blow up (assuming no bullets stuck in the barrel), melt, spray shrapnel sideways, and you won't develop warts or hemorrhoids as a result.

What you may experience is stuck cases and some varnish or lacquer deposits in your chamber. Using an AR chamber brush and solvent vigorously should clear it out.

If your AR shooting is pretty much just running a few mags downrange, you probably won't have any significant problems. But if you're in a more intense environment such as a training course, your gun is going to get pretty hot and that's when things go south in a hurry. I've been in some high-round count (500+/day) courses and I'd say that at least 50% of the ammo problems were due to steel-cased ammo (typically Wolf).
    BE CAREFUL...I just got involved in a discussion about this very topic over at AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!) . I don't like Wolf and wouldn't even CONSIDER using it!!!!! However, as a result of stating my opinion and posting some information, I've been bashed so many times by so many people that I'm bloody and bruised!!!!!!

That's why I like it here so much better. If people have a difference of opinion, big deal. Over there, they are HARD CORE and if you don't agree with them, they will MAKE YOU SORRY!!!!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, 30SF, 36, Colt 1911 Govt. (all .45 ACP), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm), S&W M&P (.22)
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357mag/.38SP), Taurus Judge (.410 Gauge/.45 LC)
    Long guns: Daniel Defense AR15s, M4V4 and M4V5 (both 5.56), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22LR)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    BE CAREFUL...I just got involved in a discussion about this very topic over at AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!) . I don't like Wolf and wouldn't even CONSIDER using it!!!!! However, as a result of stating my opinion and posting some information, I've been bashed so many times by so many people that I'm bloody and bruised!!!!!!

That's why I like it here so much better. If people have a difference of opinion, big deal. Over there, they are HARD CORE and if you don't agree with them, they will MAKE YOU SORRY!!!!
    Awe shucks! I was hoping your link was directly to your bashing! LOL
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links