AR Ammunition Warning

This is a discussion on AR Ammunition Warning within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by tangoseal I got a ton of wolf 223 for my SHTF ammo. This might pose a problem. Since the main mechanism of ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: AR Ammunition Warning

Quote Originally Posted by tangoseal View Post
    I got a ton of wolf 223 for my SHTF ammo.
    This might pose a problem. Since the main mechanism of tissue damage is fragmentation (versus expansion), and steel cased ammo doesn't fragment, you may as well just shoot .22!!!!!
    Pistols: Glock 21SF, 30SF, 36, Colt 1911 Govt. (all .45 ACP), S&W M&P Shield (9 mm), S&W M&P (.22)
    Revolvers: Ruger SP 101 (.357mag/.38SP), Taurus Judge (.410 Gauge/.45 LC)
    Long guns: Daniel Defense AR15s, M4V4 and M4V5 (both 5.56), Mossberg Shotguns (400 and 500, both 12G), Ruger (.22LR)

2. Remove Ads

There are many of us shooting steel out of our ARs, the problem comes when switching ammo, as a slight change in case size may cause extraction problems, even it is a different steel round. I have never encountered any problem when shooting a clean weapon, and shooting the same product throughout that shooting session, just clean your chamber after shooting. The newer products shoot just great, and are very accurate. I wouldn't take long to save enough to buy a comple bolt assmbly with the cost savings so the risk is rather low.

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    What's the value of an hour of your off work free time? Only you can answer that but 3-4 hours of my free time is worth at least $75-100 to me and if you add that to the reloading cost (time + materials) you are not saving anything IMO. But to each his on, make yourself happy that's all that counts.
    Reloading is a hobby. When do you consider your time in any other hobby you partake? Time means nothing unless you are doing it for others like I do. Before I started loading ammunition commercially, I was very happy to "waste" an hour of my time to make 1,000rds of .223 ammunition for $150.

Quote Originally Posted by ashamans View Post
    The local rifle range has more steel cases on the ground than gravel, if it was junk this wouldnt happen.
    That's because people don't understand and just shop for price. Steel used in the casings are not as malleable as brass used in casings. What happens is the steel case does not obturate the chamber. This introduces gas cutting, blow-by, and increases cyclic rate of your weapons operating parts. You will most likely wear them faster as I have experienced and observed from others.

Quote Originally Posted by dnilson View Post
    BE CAREFUL...I just got involved in a discussion about this very topic over at AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!) . I don't like Wolf and wouldn't even CONSIDER using it!!!!! However, as a result of stating my opinion and posting some information, I've been bashed so many times by so many people that I'm bloody and bruised!!!!!!

That's why I like it here so much better. If people have a difference of opinion, big deal. Over there, they are HARD CORE and if you don't agree with them, they will MAKE YOU SORRY!!!!
    Why does anyone spend any time on that site?

This might pose a problem. Since the main mechanism of tissue damage is fragmentation (versus expansion), and steel cased ammo doesn't fragment, you may as well just shoot .22!!!!!
    Steel cases don't hit your target, they exit the gun off to the side of your weapon. We are not talking about steel jacketed ammunition, we are talking about steel cased ammunition. Big difference. Learn the nomenclature.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    If you would have posted this on ARFCOM they would have beat you up again! As Tubby45 mentioned you need to learn the nomenclature as steel cased ammo and steel core are two different things.

Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links