A "Minuteman" rifle

This is a discussion on A "Minuteman" rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Had ordered an AR-15 from LWRC when I returned from Iraq in 2008. Outstanding gas-piston design,but I cancelled it because 5.56 ammo was through the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A "Minuteman" rifle

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar

A "Minuteman" rifle

Had ordered an AR-15 from LWRC when I returned from Iraq in 2008. Outstanding gas-piston design,but I cancelled it because 5.56 ammo was through the roof. I purchased a new 12 ga 870 Tactical and put my AR dreams on hold. Well, I've been thinking. I have a Winchester Model 70 XTR in 30-06 purchased new in 1980, back in the old Winchester(pre-USRA)days. I hunted with it a couple times and it's been a closet "queen" for many years. Here's my idea. Have the barrel cut from 22" to 18" and have a durable flat black tactical-type coating applied. Also restock it from the fancy wood to something like a Hogue Overmold or a carbon-fiber one. Mount a piece of rail for an Aimpoint or ACOG and BAM...............MINUTEMAN RIFLE! Looking for thoughts from the crowd. Oh, by the way, do you think a bolt-action like my rifle would be ok shooting military surplus 30-06(if you can find it!)?? Thanks guys!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

It's your rifle and your money. But, if it was me, I wouldn't do it. Rather I'd buy a different rifle to chop into a project. Like a Stevens 200, cheap rifle, cheap stock, but a very good action.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

It's your rifle and your money but Zacii has the plan in my view.

Short barreled .30-06 rifles are not pleasant to shoot and ballistics suffer. For actual shooting use I think the finished rifle would be a disappointment. It would be more tiring from the bench rest than it is in its original configuration.

I've played with others' Winchester Model 70 Featherweights in .30-06 and didn't enjoy them.

Don't pay too much attention to me though as I'm out of style. I like 24-inch barrels on my rifles. I also like the look of blue steel and walnut and I avoid any black tacti-cool stuff as much as possible.

I've shot quite a lot of U.S. military ammunition in my Winchester Model 70 .30-06 with no problems and no obvious pressure signs. I've also known of others who have used such ammo as well with no problems.

Seems to me you've got a "Minuteman" rifle, right now. It's the rifle you've got and what you would grab and go with, if you had to. Cutting down the barrel only reduces muzzle velocity, accuracy, and makes your .30-06 less effective. You can refinish your rifle's hardware, if you like, but if you really need to grab and go, you have bigger things to worry about than the finish of your rifle. Besides, you can always improvise to reduce reflectivity for the environment you're in; in some situations, solid black rifles may be even more visible than other finishes. Somehow, wooden-stocked rifles have successfully and effectively participated in every major conflict in the 20th and 21st century. As for a scope, I'd be looking for a scope to maximize the rifle I have.

There is a reason you took this rifle hunting a couple of times and then turned it into a closet queen. I don't think the changes you've proposed would make it more attractive to use, but that's just me. I'd use the money toward something else.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

I had a Win Mod 70 carbine length, featherweight. It didnt shoot that well, kicked like an untamed mule, mussle report was atrocious, and it barked flames like a jet engine. It was a light handy gun that I could carry all day, but I hated shooting it so bad.

Right now you have a rifle that should be very accurate and deadly to at least 500 yds. If you start chopping and changing, I fear you will end up with a turd.
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Your looking for a "scout" rifle

If you really want to do it with a pre USRA winchester 70 it's your gun. I have a Feather weight model 70 in .270 and like another poster pointed out it doesn't get shot much because of the kick, it's worth it to only haul the 5.5 lbs through the woods though.

If you want to make a scout rifle I would keep my eyes peeled at the pawn shops for a decent donor gun since you seem to be set on refinishing hardware and restocking it anyways.

As to the stock options the hogue's, McMillians and other stocks of that line up are nice stocks but pricey. You can get just as nice and durable stock in a grey or woodlands laminant for much less money invested.

Do not chop up that rifle!!

For what scenario do you see yourself needing a .30-06 for defensive purposes? Especially a bolt action?

Just curious.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    Don't chop a 70! That's crazy. If you want a project rifle, pick up some beater like a Savage or something.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would go with the Stevens idea for a project rifle.

Keep the model 70 for hunting or something to enjoy during peace times.

A Russian 91/30 in 7.62x54 is a nice project rifle and could be a minuteman rifle.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    It's your rifle and your money. But, if it was me, I wouldn't do it. Rather I'd buy a different rifle to chop into a project. Like a Stevens 200, cheap rifle, cheap stock, but a very good action.
    Yeah couldn't have said it better myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    I had a Win Mod 70 carbine length, featherweight. It didnt shoot that well, kicked like an untamed mule, mussle report was atrocious, and it barked flames like a jet engine. It was a light handy gun that I could carry all day, but I hated shooting it so bad.

Right now you have a rifle that should be very accurate and deadly to at least 500 yds. If you start chopping and changing, I fear you will end up with a turd.
    I have the same thing, but in .308 and I love that rifle!
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Just buy an AR Ammo is coming down.

Plus when zombie disease runs rampant the police station will have plenty of ammo sitting in the armory if you are immune and a survivor. Just make sure you camp the station before other survivors beat you there.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

For a project I would agree with the others ... Go with a Stevens in .308, .223 or 7.62x39 ... Just because that is what the other guy will be using ... Nothing like being able to shoot scrounged ammo ... I know a feller that has a buncha cheapo singleshots in about every current military caliber including pistol ... He says he might shoot slow but he is dead on each round and can scrounge forever ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Bernard Books

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Ditto!....why ruin a good one!
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    If you want a "Minuteman" rifle, chambered in 30-'06, [since there is LOTS of '06 ammo around] look in pawn shops, or auctions for an older Remington 742 or its newer version, 7400: its semi-auto, and I remember that you used to be able to find 10 & 20 round magazines--while it is NOT a tack driver, it is certainly accurate enough for the hordes of zombies or the hordes of looters in a SHTF scenario.

It is basically a 20th century semi-auto version of the old WWII BAR.............(I've had my 742 since I was 15 yrs old--which was a ways back there in the 20th cent )
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links