Another pointless class 3 post.

This is a discussion on Another pointless class 3 post. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wish I could own (not sure I would make all the hoops, MI is hit or miss pro-2A, even though I have a spotless ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another pointless class 3 post.

I wish I could own (not sure I would make all the hoops, MI is hit or miss pro-2A, even though I have a spotless record). Then, even after the hoops, I'm not sure I could afford. If I won the lotto, AR15 / M16 with select fire, semi and burst. Sure, there are many guns to have on a wish list, but this the one that would fill a few SHTF situation and would make for a fun hobby.

It is never going to happen, but just wondering, what is the estimated cost of licensing and what does a burst fire AR cost?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I've seen them on gunbroker from time to time, for about $15,000. Not sure about the licensing fees, I know there is a $200 tax but I'm sure it doesn't stop there...

You probably won't find an M16 for civilian ownership under 12,000,then the tax stamp and background check,form 4 has to have a chief LEO sign off on it,can be a Chief of police Sheriff,or Judge.once you own the M16 you can put any fire control group in you want,I prefer safe,semi,full auto,you just learn to shoot controlled bursts.I don't own any class 3 weapons,but a friend of mine owns several,we got him a ciener 22 conversion and now we shoot 22 lr full auto,cheap and a hoot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There would also be costs for storage right. I was told you are required to have certain safes, or safes of a certain level. Any truth to that, or is that maybe just some local judge's or sheriff's demand before sigh off?

Oh, and how about special conditions, can a judge or sheriff write in conditions, like never transported?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    There would also be costs for storage right. I was told you are required to have certain safes, or safes of a certain level. Any truth to that, or is that maybe just some local judge's or sheriff's demand before sigh off?

Oh, and how about special conditions, can a judge or sheriff write in conditions, like never transported?

IIRC, there is no requirement that one have any certain "safe" storage...but if one can afford a Class III weapon, one can definitely afford a good safe to keep it in (I most certainly would!).

No, they can't give conditions--it's all or nothing.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Heres some info. Basic Guidelines
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    No, they can't give conditions--it's all or nothing
    Even if it's"nothing" due to an antigun Sheriff, there is still a way.

You can form a Trust and you are not required to have an LEO signature and you only get figerprinted once, not everytime for every auto as is it without the trust.
    Its a work around that many people use...and advantageous if you have several Class 3 items suchs as suppressors and such.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    I have daily access to subguns, M4, and M16s among others. I have to say that there is no way I would pay that much to actually own one. The novelty wears off quickly, and it just isn't as exciting as one might think.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I have daily access to subguns, M4, and M16s among others. I have to say that there is no way I would pay that much to actually own one. The novelty wears off quickly, and it just isn't as exciting as one might think.
    There is a lot of truth to that. I'm in the same boat as Sixto. If I had to feed them from my own stash, I seriously doubt that I would waste that kindof money on them.

The free stuff is fine, but keeping them fed is not only hard on the thumbs, but hard on the wallet.

The Feds have pretty much made it a rich mans toy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yep. I've never prices one, but if the prices quoted in the above posts are accurate, an M4 or M16 are not worth that. To be honest, imo, full auto isn't good for anything other than burning ammo at a range.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    This is true, and if the law is changed to allow Class III's that are manufactured after 1986 to be purchased, you are stuck with a firearm that you paid a fortune for.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Guys you are correct the novelty wears off quickly. Personally except in a wartime firefight situation never really had a use for full auto, uses up a lot of ammo and is not all that accurate.
    Not sure but I think owning one also allows inspection at any time by the BATFE to make sure it is where it is supposed to be and so on.
    Save the money and go to Knob Creek or to Sturgis during the rally and rent one to play with costs a lot less.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I am awaiting my first tax stamp for a can.....I went the trust route & it makes things very simple. Once the trust is set up, you only pay the $200 for each stamp you need.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I dove into the class III market back in the 70's when they were cheap. I was able to pick up a 1928 Thompson for $500, a S&W M-76 for $600 and a MAC-10 for $200. Tax stamps, dealer transfers, etc was about another $730.
    I had a cousin that was a US Marshall, so LE approval was no problem. After ATF approves the transfer, you simply pick it up like any other gun from the dealer. After all the hoopla, you still have to fill out the 4473 and then take possession.
    I did have a safe, but it's not required. No one inspects your home or anything. It's pretty much like any other purchase, except for the ATF approval. Given todays requirements, if you qualify to own a handgun or long gun, you qualify to own class III.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Senior Moderator
    Given todays requirements, if you qualify to own a handgun or long gun, you qualify to own class III.
    As long as it is legal in your state. Some states dont allow it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links