BullPups Anyone?

BullPups Anyone?

This is a discussion on BullPups Anyone? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have never seen handled or fired a bullpup weapon but have done a small amount of reading on them. Seems that the British are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

BullPups Anyone?

I have never seen handled or fired a bullpup weapon but have done a small amount of reading on them. Seems that the British are switching to BullPups. Was interested to discover it is an old concept dating back to WWII. The idea of having a sniper length 20 -24 inch barrel on a carbine sized weapon does have more than a little appeal. Anyone have any thoughts experience with BullPups?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Just handled an FNH FS2000 at the NRA Conference. Very nice. Felt a little awkward but easy to use all the controls. I may check out Kel-tec's RFB next

One of the reasons that they never really went over well is because they are uglier than sin.

Yeah, they work. They are a bit awkward and take a bit of getting used to.

I dont like them. Something to consider is that you are laying your face right on the action. If in the unlikely event that it blows apart, much of your face will go with it. Shoot one enough to get it hot and it actually becomes uncomfortable when you get a cheek weld on the stock.

They are just too weird for geezers like me to ever get used to. I'll take the traditional style any day of the week.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    One of the issues I have with them is the reloading. Not very natural to me.

One other thing I forgot to mention...

I like to have the option of switching shoulders to fire from if need be.

You can forget about that with a bullpup.If you ever forget and attempt to shoulder the rifle from the wrong side to fire it, you wont do it but once.
    Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    One other thing I forgot to mention...

I like to have the option of switching shoulders to fire from if need be.

You can forget about that with a bullpup.If you ever forget and attempt to shoulder the rifle from the wrong side to fire it, you wont do it but once.
    Trust me.
    ON the older ones you are right, Left hander will get it right in the side of the head.

But the newer ones eject out front, not the side. The RFB and FS2000 can be fired from either hand.

VIP Member
    I'm a lefty so no thanks. :(
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

They seem really neat. However, for whatever this is worth, I watched a guy shooting one at the local range a couple months ago, and he definitely did not get more than 3 rounds off at a time without a jam of some sort. I suspect poor cleaning practices, bad mag, lemon, etc. Still, watching that guy disassembling it (which exposed me to what a pain it is with whatever model he had) definitely made me not want one.

The Brit SA80 series has had a lot of issues, so I wouldn't exactly take that as a good seal of approval. Bullpups tend to not have as decent trigger feel as a conventional rifle, and the ergos for reloads, stoppages, etc. aren't exactly natural.

I personally don't own one. However, I think it is one of the most innovative designs in long guns. It is short enough to be practical for house clearing etc. and yet lacks nothing in range due to the design.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I have never seen handled or fired a bullpup weapon but have done a small amount of reading on them. Seems that the British are switching to BullPups. Was interested to discover it is an old concept dating back to WWII. The idea of having a sniper length 20 -24 inch barrel on a carbine sized weapon does have more than a little appeal. Anyone have any thoughts experience with BullPups?
    The British switched to Bullpups in the 1980s.

Barrel length on them is commendable; in general, ergonomics, modularity and safety are not.

Finding a way to link the trigger to the action is problematic.

I kind of liked the Steyr Aug, but I didn't know anything about rifles when I last shot one.

Velocity is better out of a longer barrel.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I haven't shot one yet, but by all accounts the Keltec RFB addresses all the problems with the bullpup concept. The only problem is Keltec doesn't ramp up production when they have a very popular design, so the supply is limited and the prices stay high.

I must say the original Steyr Augs are sexy looking guns.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Problem a lot of the forward ejection bullpups are having is clearing out jams. Apparently it is an "involved" process.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

^ I would think so. I find them quite handsome, but this dribbling of spent shells out the front leaves me wanting something else.

I have a Muzzlelite stock for my Mini-14. It takes awhile to get use to it, but once you get it down, it is not bad. I really like how compact it makes the rifle. I have a side folding stock for the Mini-14 as well and it is OK, but with the bullpup stock you get the reduce length plus I can still shoulder the rifle without have to unfold the stock.

People who shoot from the left shoulder will not like the Muzzlelite stock as it ejects on the right side.
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links