AR adjustable stocks?

AR adjustable stocks?

This is a discussion on AR adjustable stocks? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My six position adjustable stock on my Bushmaster is loose and has a serious rattle. It seems to have about an 1/8" of play. (it's ...

Thread: AR adjustable stocks?

AR adjustable stocks?

My six position adjustable stock on my Bushmaster is loose and has a serious rattle. It seems to have about an 1/8" of play. (it's Bushmaster OE)

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this, or am I going to have to replace it?

If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks for the help.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Rattle fore and aft on the extension tube? Or "wiggle" as in left and right? Try a strip of electrical tape lengthwise along the top of the receiver extension. If it bothers you a bit, get a Magpul CTR.

Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Rattle fore and aft on the extension tube? Or "wiggle" as in left and right? Try a strip of electrical tape lengthwise along the top of the receiver extension. If it bothers you a bit, get a Magpul CTR.
    I'll give that a try.

Thanks
    -Tony Soprano

Lead Moderator
    Check your release lever first. There is a roll pin and screw holding the lever in place and can be tightened a bit if it is the cause of rattle.
    Magpul does make good stuff too. Be sure to measure your receiver extension (buffer tube) if ordering a new stock due to 2 sizes available (mil spec & commercial).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I tightened that screw down about as tight as it will go without it interfering with the function.

As for the size, the back of the buffer tube is slanted, so I think I have a Commercial Stock?

I think I'll pick up a roll of electrical tape today. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll be shopping for a replacement stock.
    -Tony Soprano

Lead Moderator
    Slanted tube means it is a M4 style , the diameter of the tube is what determines the commercial or mil spec size. For what its worth the Magpul MOE stock I got fits nice and tight on my tube without any need for a additional lock.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I tightened that screw down about as tight as it will go without it interfering with the function.

As for the size, the back of the buffer tube is slanted, so I think I have a Commercial Stock?

I think I'll pick up a roll of electrical tape today. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll be shopping for a replacement stock.
    Slanted tube is commercial.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bushmaster.

Trust me, they're "just as good" as Tier One ARs....

Find a stock that fits right, and shoot it.

I put a couple of strips of tape on the buffer tube which made things a lot better.

It's a fun gun/plinker, so I'm only going to invest so much money in the thing.

Yeap, a little electrical tape and its " as good as a Tier One AR"
    -Tony Soprano

I know the adjustable stocks are all the rage these days with the tactical crowd, by when I was in the Marines, we used to qualify with the A2 at 500 yards, at a man sized target. the most points at that particular range was an area about the size of 2 paper plates. I have found it is more difficult to get this accuracy out of an adjustable stock model because the small amount of movement of the stock, hinders proper stockwell steadiness crucial for maximum accurate shooting. Just thought I would bring that up, like you said, it is just a plinker, but something to keep in mind if you don't already know.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I know the adjustable stocks are all the rage these days with the tactical crowd, by when I was in the Marines, we used to qualify with the A2 at 500 yards, at a man sized target. the most points at that particular range was an area about the size of 2 paper plates. I have found it is more difficult to get this accuracy out of an adjustable stock model because the small amount of movement of the stock, hinders proper stockwell steadiness crucial for maximum accurate shooting. Just thought I would bring that up, like you said, it is just a plinker, but something to keep in mind if you don't already know.

On a regular GI stock, I agree with you. However try something like a Magpul CTR (or UBR), and you'll find out how rock-solid an adjustable can be.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I'll keep that in mind, if I ever go tha route, for my uses, I prefer the long site radius of the A2 and the higher velocity it allows.

Sponsored Links